Anyone ordered the GEC . flashlight ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
cbnutt

Anyone ordered the GEC . flashlight ?

Post by cbnutt »

i have a light addiction , ill probably order one ::tu:: http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/201 ... luminator/
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
kootenay joe

Re: Anyone ordered the GEC . flashlight ?

Post by kootenay joe »

There are flashlight forums for flashlight addicts just as AAPK is for knife addicts. These forums contain huge amounts of data on about every light available. If you have an electric engineering degree you might be able to understand all the data. There might even be a review of the GEC light but under it's brand name.
I used the light forums to choose a light that can throw a focused beam over 500 yards, the Thrunite TN32.
The world of flashlights is even more of a 'jungle' than the world of knives. There are thousands to choose from with at least 100 new lights showing up every month. Many are low end & poorly made but some are precision instruments built to withstand dropping etc. You cannot distinguish these based solely on price. You absolutely have to read reviews in the flashlight forums. Note there are plenty of manufacturer/dealer connected phony reviews and the forums call these out with real world testing.
But beware, once you dive into these flashlight forums you might not emerge for a month or more, but for sure you will end up buying a truly awe inspiring light.
kj
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I was looking at those too. Might get one. As for now, I'm sticking with Streamlight & Surefire. I've used those for decades and never had a single problem. Ever. Can't go wrong with either one. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

kootenay joe wrote:There are flashlight forums for flashlight addicts just as AAPK is for knife addicts. These forums contain huge amounts of data on about every light available. If you have an electric engineering degree you might be able to understand all the data. There might even be a review of the GEC light but under it's brand name.
I used the light forums to choose a light that can throw a focused beam over 500 yards, the Thrunite TN32.
The world of flashlights is even more of a 'jungle' than the world of knives. There are thousands to choose from with at least 100 new lights showing up every month. Many are low end & poorly made but some are precision instruments built to withstand dropping etc. You cannot distinguish these based solely on price. You absolutely have to read reviews in the flashlight forums. Note there are plenty of manufacturer/dealer connected phony reviews and the forums call these out with real world testing.
But beware, once you dive into these flashlight forums you might not emerge for a month or more, but for sure you will end up buying a truly awe inspiring light.
kj
Roland, if you know of a good "Flashlight" forum comparable to AAPK as far as "intelligent people", can you post a link here so I don't have to search all day for one I like? I don't want to deal with a bunch of idiots.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/for ... Discussion

Far from a "bunch of idiots" i would say that the candlepower forum is a bunch ingenious, over achieving, high IQ geeks. Some of these guys have built lights that rival stadium lights, turning night into day as far as light goes.
There is an ongoing and rapid evolution of lights and batteries with more power, longer lasting battery charge, coming every month. The electronics are evolving at an astonishing rate.
You will learn a great deal and enjoy the reading as well but it does take some time to grasp it all if you are not already electronic knowledgeable.
It makes for fascinating reading. Many call themselves a "flashlightaholic" and may have a few hundred 'lights'. Sound familiar ?
kj

Edit to add: here is a picture & review of the light i bought:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... Flashlight
Attachments
11453065314_c83880c74c_z.jpg
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Thanks kj... ::tu::

DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Dont know if I,ll get one of GEC's lights or not. :) Havent been over to Candlepowerforum in a while. My head starts hurting shortly after arriving. Way to much tech stuff for my simple mind to process. It is the place if Flashight is your area of interest or your doing research. ::tu::
David
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I have a Maratac AAA on my keychain and as long as it holds up, I don't need another flashlight.

I did some research on various flashlight forums and sub forums before I bought it and once I decided what I wanted, I hightailed it out of there. I could see myself getting addicted to an item that I really only wanted one of so I got the heck out of there while I still had a fighting chance.

I agree though. Those guys know their stuff and those forums were very helpful when I was trying to decide.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

kootenay joe , looks great, does it come with a charger , batteries included ? is there a best place to buy one you recomend ? Thanks , ::tu::
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

cbnutt, i am not necessarily recommending the same flashlight. I want to be able to see what is going on at 0300hrs in the lower corner of my field 350 yards away. The TN32 can throw a spot that far; i.e. it is a focused beam rather than a floodlight.
What i like about the flashlight forum is that it describes the different ways in which a flashlight can light things up. Your needs might be for camping and use inside a tent, etc.. Mine will work for that but there are other more suitable lights.
Batteries & chargers are separate and again the forum has information+++ on many batteries & chargers. They are far from all being roughly equivalent.
There are retail stores that support the flashlight forum just as there are retail knife dealers who support knife forums. Buying from one of those retailers means if you have an 'issue' of some sort they will sort it out for you.
It took me 2 full months of reading on that flashlight forum before i figured out what would be the best for me: flashlight, batteries & charger.
You gotta put in the time to get the good results
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:Edit to add: here is a picture & review of the light i bought:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... Flashlight
From the review:
Much to my amazement, when I tested the TN32 in my Integrated Sphere I saw 1688 OTF lumens. OUT THE FRONT! One word..."NICE!"
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I think I may have found my home-lantern. Now I'm curious to find out what these guys recommend for a good pocket-sized light...
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There are a great many lights no bigger than a Tootsie Roll that throw a huge amount of light, all that most people need. But there are also about 10x as many poorly made but similar looking flashlights and manufacturer specs are not true.
Equally important is the quality of batteries & charger you use. Again, large number to choose from but only a few that truly perform.
All of this & more ! is in the link to flashlight forum.
My TN32 & batteries & charger all still work perfectly after 2 years of regular use.
Don't forget headlamps, very useful and the good ones can light up to 200 yards or more.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”