#35 AAPK Churchill

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
User avatar
MadTrapper
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:12 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by MadTrapper » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks Railsplitter. I'll keep checking my favorite dealers and see what turns up. Not too concerned if I miss out though...
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless

User avatar
Tsar Bomba
Posts: 3240
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 am

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by Tsar Bomba » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Looks like we can't escape flippers even here on AAPK...

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... ket-knife-

$175 plus shipping for a knife that retails right now at ~$100, and not even with a "Make Offer" option? ::uc::

I guess people are betting on this latest run of smooth yellow rose being the last? ::shrug:: ::facepalm::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

User avatar
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1532
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by Railsplitter » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:10 pm

I don't know, Tony. That same seller has an Ebony Churchill for listed for $150. None of my business really but it is interesting.

I can't wait to get my AAPK Churchill. I'm pretty excited about it.
Rick T.
My Uncle owns a Red Barchetta.

User avatar
FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 11505
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by FRJ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Railsplitter wrote:I can't wait to get my AAPK Churchill. I'm pretty excited about it.

::tu:: ::tu::
Joe

User avatar
Tsar Bomba
Posts: 3240
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 am

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by Tsar Bomba » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:28 pm

Railsplitter wrote:I don't know, Tony. That same seller has an Ebony Churchill for listed for $150.
Might have been smarter to wait until they were no longer available from dealers. :lol:
Railsplitter wrote:I can't wait to get my AAPK Churchill. I'm pretty excited about it.
Same here. ::groove:: Having carried the ebony 35 a few times already I am enamored with how much knife it is in such a slim package. And for an equal-ender it snaps just fine for me, though I have seen reports here of the yellow rose bone having no snap at all (hoping mine snaps acceptably).

User avatar
Tennessee Vol
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:14 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by Tennessee Vol » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:I don't know, Tony. That same seller has an Ebony Churchill for listed for $150.
Might have been smarter to wait until they were no longer available from dealers. :lol:
Railsplitter wrote:I can't wait to get my AAPK Churchill. I'm pretty excited about it.
Same here. ::groove:: Having carried the ebony 35 a few times already I am enamored with how much knife it is in such a slim package. And for an equal-ender it snaps just fine for me, though I have seen reports here of the yellow rose bone having no snap at all (hoping mine snaps acceptably).
My yellow rose 35 primary blade had very little snap, if any, when going from the half stop to closure. Cleaned with dawn, blew out with a air compressor, worked open several times and it is still improving. Still not up to par yet as my other GEC's. The secondary blade on my yellow rose has perfect walk and talk. I think the primary blade will get better with time. It sure is a beauty though.

User avatar
RalphAlsip
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:01 pm
Location: Texas

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by RalphAlsip » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:28 am

Here is a 14 second video of the closing snap of a GEC 35 Churchill Yellow Rose clip blade. You can see that it is not a bear trap, but it does close by itself. It has to be almost closed before it will snap closed.


User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 30877
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by jerryd6818 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:11 am

About the same as mine.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

User avatar
Tennessee Vol
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:14 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by Tennessee Vol » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:04 am

RalphAlsip wrote:Here is a 14 second video of the closing snap of a GEC 35 Churchill Yellow Rose clip blade. You can see that it is not a bear trap, but it does close by itself. It has to be almost closed before it will snap closed.

Neat video :). My yellow 35 is there now; however, when I initially received it i had to actually push the clip blade closed. No worries though because with the initial cleaning and working it open and closed, it's getting better every day. Unfortunately I made the mistake of showing it to my wife and she doesn't want me to use it much like I do my other knives. She isn't a fan of patina. Never had a non-user before. It is a beauty and I can understand why it is my wife's favorite. The Churchill feels great in the hand also.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8748
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by kootenay joe » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:04 pm

T.V., that your wife likes it so much she does not want you to use it, i see as a very strong endorsement of this knife.
So far i have not seen a single post on the 35 that has not been 100% positive. Not many patterns get 100% 'likes'.
kj

User avatar
Tennessee Vol
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:14 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by Tennessee Vol » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:32 pm

kootenay joe wrote:T.V., that your wife likes it so much she does not want you to use it, i see as a very strong endorsement of this knife.
So far i have not seen a single post on the 35 that has not been 100% positive. Not many patterns get 100% 'likes'.
kj
Totally agree KJ. So much so that I think I may have to grab another Churchill with a different scale material. I really like the slimness of this design, and in my opinion it is a lot of knife in a small package. Great aesthetics, great ergonomics, and two very useful blade shapes in a trim package. Maybe I will not show this one to the wife this time :lol: .

User avatar
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1532
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by Railsplitter » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:44 pm

kootenay joe wrote:T.V., that your wife likes it so much she does not want you to use it, i see as a very strong endorsement of this knife.
So far i have not seen a single post on the 35 that has not been 100% positive. Not many patterns get 100% 'likes'.
kj
I've read more than one comment on this forum and others about very weak snap. Some folks have even had to push one of the blades closed. Cleaning and lubing has helped in some case but not in all cases.

My Churchill has satisfactory snap on both blades. I wish I could agree with the 100% positive comment but that is not the case judging by what I have read.
Rick T.
My Uncle owns a Red Barchetta.

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 30877
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by jerryd6818 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:13 pm

I've already told y'all mine (Yellow Rose) needed a little Quick Release worked into it before the main had any snap. I just ordered a 35 Churchill Green Banana Bone this morning. It will be interesting to compare it to the Yellow Rose, snap-wise. Should be here by Friday. ::pray::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8748
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by kootenay joe » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:54 pm

I should have been more specific with my "100% like" comment. I mean that people really like the pattern: looks and in hand feel. The weak snap is not 'perfect' but it seems to be improved with flushing, and it did not bring anyone to the point of saying "i don't like this knife".
So far i have only read of this issue with the Yellow Rose ones. How is snap with the Ebony ? Soon the AAPK knives will be in hand and we will learn how blade action is on these.
Question about 'crud in joints' with a new knife: how does it get there ? i.e. what stage of the assembly gets crud into joint ?
Is there a step in which joints should be cleaned before final assembly ?
I have quite a few GEC knives and so far no weak snap so only some knives get crud in joints. Why ?
kj

User avatar
Knifegetter46
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Mile High City

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by Knifegetter46 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:58 pm

kootenay joe wrote:I should have been more specific with my "100% like" comment. I mean that people really like the pattern: looks and in hand feel. The weak snap is not 'perfect' but it seems to be improved with flushing, and it did not bring anyone to the point of saying "i don't like this knife".
So far i have only read of this issue with the Yellow Rose ones. How is snap with the Ebony ? Soon the AAPK knives will be in hand and we will learn how blade action is on these.
Question about 'crud in joints' with a new knife: how does it get there ? i.e. what stage of the assembly gets crud into joint ?
Is there a step in which joints should be cleaned before final assembly ?
I have quite a few GEC knives and so far no weak snap so only some knives get crud in joints. Why ?
kj
My AAPK knife arrived today, and it is just gorgeous! The snap is just fine. I am more than happy with it. This is my 5th 35 pattern including the Blade Forum and the Ebony Harness Jack of last year. I have the yellow Rose and Cougar Claw. Just ordered the Hummingbird. All of them have an easy pull and good snap, all the same. Now 35s comprise 1/2 of my knife collection. I'll buy another knife when there is another run of 35s, probably not before.

Post Reply

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”