#35 AAPK Churchill

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by kootenay joe »

What is the Hummingbird É
why does my keyboard type the above odd letter when i pressed the question mark key É
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:What is the Hummingbird É
why does my keyboard type the above odd letter when i pressed the question mark key É
kj
I don't know about your keyboard issue but the Hummingbird is GEC's name for the new Green Acrylic.
Attachments
FRWIMG_1756-27.jpg
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote: why does my keyboard type the above odd letter when i pressed the question mark key É
kj
I have to hold down the 'Alt' key and type 0201 on the ten key pad to get an É. I know there's a way to designate special characters for a given keystroke but I don't recall how to do it. You might try your friend Google.

Edit: Or just for kicks and giggles, try your old buddy 'power on reset' (sometimes called reboot) to see if that resolves your issue.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Turned computer off and now on again: here is character from question mark key: ?
It works !
I received an email from a knife maker in Czech Republic and then the odd characters began to occur.
Can a received email affect the font, etc. on the receiving computer ?
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote: Can a received email affect the font, etc. on the receiving computer ?
kj
What do you think? ::hmm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It seems unlikely but this same thing has happened previously with an email from Bulgaria, both being countries with a different alphabet from ours.
To be more specific the problem arose after i replied to their email.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

What is the porpoise of that funny looking E? ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

kootenay joe wrote:It seems unlikely but this same thing has happened previously with an email from Bulgaria, both being countries with a different alphabet from ours.
To be more specific the problem arose after i replied to their email.
kj
Install, and run Malware Bytes. It is free.
The email(s) may have installed a Key Logger.
Did you click on any links or simply use your reply button? If they sent a link to return the email as in another address, NEVER USE THEM!
Malware Bytes first, and then Anti Logger free. Anti logger encrypts every keystroke, and makes it impossible to record anything you type. I use them both.
PM me if you need more info/help.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
americanedgetech

Railsplitter wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:What is the Hummingbird É
kj
I don't know about your keyboard issue but the Hummingbird is GEC's name for the new Green Acrylic.
THOSE are some great looking GEC-s. I haven't seen one yet that I wanted but those are special. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for the help & offer of more assistance. I don't think i pressed Alt and 0201.
Computers are my weak link. Evolution will wean me out.
kj
americanedgetech

I have a BUNCH of cats that are way better at making keyboards do things than I am.
They are almost better than the grandkids that I use to straighten the pc back out.

ANYTHING that is from a foreign country, and unsolicited in your email should be left alone/deleated or scanned with an anti virus BEFORE you click on anything. Even US links are often times proxied so if you did not ask for an email consider it suspicious. Other than malicious web sites Email is the easiest way to gain control of someones computer.

It's a mad world we live in...
Ken Mc.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

USPS delivered this one on a Sunday. ::woot::
Attachments
IMG_3700.JPG
IMG_3701.JPG
IMG_3698.JPG
IMG_3699.JPG
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I just realized that I posted this in the AAPK knife thread. Sorry about that. :oops:
Rick T.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

americanedgetech wrote:Install, and run Malware Bytes. It is free.
The email(s) may have installed a Key Logger.
Did you click on any links or simply use your reply button? If they sent a link to return the email as in another address, NEVER USE THEM!
Malware Bytes first, and then Anti Logger free. Anti logger encrypts every keystroke, and makes it impossible to record anything you type. I use them both.
PM me if you need more info/help.
My guess is that replying to the email triggered a chance to your default keyboard character set. If you had actual malware, the reboot would have either done nothing or made things worse. Next time you are replying to an email from your Bulgarian friend, check the encoding and character sets to see if your friend has them set to something other than the default.

Generally a keylogger won't do anything but sit silently and log keystrokes. It would be silly to do anything to cause suspicion if you're trying to log keystrokes and mine passwords or other data, because that would only cause the user to stop using the computer normally and start trying to clean it up.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
americanedgetech

That is a gorgeous knife no matter where it is posted Rick.

Tony,
You are correct that new actions on your PC are a cause for suspicion but viruses work differently in every PC.
Many times they are a clean install but sometimes they do goof up depending on Many factors. Keyboard goof ups are a concern because they prove out a change in basic programing.
I would scan to be safe.

Malware Bytes or Trend Micro House Call are two of the better free scanning tools, and it never hurts to use them on a regular basis. (monthly at least)
Ken Mc.

MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

With the crazy prices in the secondary market on GEC's, I decided to snag another AAPK Churchill. Who knows what they'll be worth someday... I'm fairly certain that I'll at least always be able to get out of it what I've got in it. I've made worse investments.

There's one (1) left in the AAPK store! ::tu::
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

I rec'd my 2nd AAPK Churchill in the mail today. I'm sure glad I was able to get a 2nd one before they sold out. These are a great looking knife by a great manufacturer and in my opinion, an excellent choice for an AAPK knife. Thank you Mr. Sanders! Nice job all the way around! ::tu::
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

MadTrapper wrote:I rec'd my 2nd AAPK Churchill in the mail today. I'm sure glad I was able to get a 2nd one before they sold out. These are a great looking knife by a great manufacturer and in my opinion, an excellent choice for an AAPK knife. Thank you Mr. Sanders! Nice job all the way around! ::tu::
Great post, MadTrapper. I got my second one today too and I'm dancin' in the streets!
Rick T.

Knifegetter46

Post by Knifegetter46 »

Railsplitter wrote:
MadTrapper wrote:I rec'd my 2nd AAPK Churchill in the mail today. I'm sure glad I was able to get a 2nd one before they sold out. These are a great looking knife by a great manufacturer and in my opinion, an excellent choice for an AAPK knife. Thank you Mr. Sanders! Nice job all the way around! ::tu::
Great post, MadTrapper. I got my second one today too and I'm dancin' in the streets!

I have the Rust Red, too. I think it is the nicest knife I have. The color of the bone is really great! It's certainly the most beautiful of the entire run of 35s (IMHO).

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”