#35 AAPK Churchill

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
MadTrapper

Re: #35 AAPK Churchill

Post by MadTrapper »

Thanks Railsplitter. I'll keep checking my favorite dealers and see what turns up. Not too concerned if I miss out though...
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Looks like we can't escape flippers even here on AAPK...

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... ket-knife-

$175 plus shipping for a knife that retails right now at ~$100, and not even with a "Make Offer" option? ::uc::

I guess people are betting on this latest run of smooth yellow rose being the last? ::shrug:: ::facepalm::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I don't know, Tony. That same seller has an Ebony Churchill for listed for $150. None of my business really but it is interesting.

I can't wait to get my AAPK Churchill. I'm pretty excited about it.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Railsplitter wrote:I can't wait to get my AAPK Churchill. I'm pretty excited about it.

::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Railsplitter wrote:I don't know, Tony. That same seller has an Ebony Churchill for listed for $150.
Might have been smarter to wait until they were no longer available from dealers. :lol:
Railsplitter wrote:I can't wait to get my AAPK Churchill. I'm pretty excited about it.
Same here. ::groove:: Having carried the ebony 35 a few times already I am enamored with how much knife it is in such a slim package. And for an equal-ender it snaps just fine for me, though I have seen reports here of the yellow rose bone having no snap at all (hoping mine snaps acceptably).
Tennessee Vol

Post by Tennessee Vol »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:I don't know, Tony. That same seller has an Ebony Churchill for listed for $150.
Might have been smarter to wait until they were no longer available from dealers. :lol:
Same here. ::groove:: Having carried the ebony 35 a few times already I am enamored with how much knife it is in such a slim package. And for an equal-ender it snaps just fine for me, though I have seen reports here of the yellow rose bone having no snap at all (hoping mine snaps acceptably).
My yellow rose 35 primary blade had very little snap, if any, when going from the half stop to closure. Cleaned with dawn, blew out with a air compressor, worked open several times and it is still improving. Still not up to par yet as my other GEC's. The secondary blade on my yellow rose has perfect walk and talk. I think the primary blade will get better with time. It sure is a beauty though.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here is a 14 second video of the closing snap of a GEC 35 Churchill Yellow Rose clip blade. You can see that it is not a bear trap, but it does close by itself. It has to be almost closed before it will snap closed.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

About the same as mine.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tennessee Vol

Post by Tennessee Vol »

RalphAlsip wrote:Here is a 14 second video of the closing snap of a GEC 35 Churchill Yellow Rose clip blade. You can see that it is not a bear trap, but it does close by itself. It has to be almost closed before it will snap closed.

Neat video :). My yellow 35 is there now; however, when I initially received it i had to actually push the clip blade closed. No worries though because with the initial cleaning and working it open and closed, it's getting better every day. Unfortunately I made the mistake of showing it to my wife and she doesn't want me to use it much like I do my other knives. She isn't a fan of patina. Never had a non-user before. It is a beauty and I can understand why it is my wife's favorite. The Churchill feels great in the hand also.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

T.V., that your wife likes it so much she does not want you to use it, i see as a very strong endorsement of this knife.
So far i have not seen a single post on the 35 that has not been 100% positive. Not many patterns get 100% 'likes'.
kj
Tennessee Vol

Post by Tennessee Vol »

kootenay joe wrote:T.V., that your wife likes it so much she does not want you to use it, i see as a very strong endorsement of this knife.
So far i have not seen a single post on the 35 that has not been 100% positive. Not many patterns get 100% 'likes'.
kj
Totally agree KJ. So much so that I think I may have to grab another Churchill with a different scale material. I really like the slimness of this design, and in my opinion it is a lot of knife in a small package. Great aesthetics, great ergonomics, and two very useful blade shapes in a trim package. Maybe I will not show this one to the wife this time :lol: .
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:T.V., that your wife likes it so much she does not want you to use it, i see as a very strong endorsement of this knife.
kj
I've read more than one comment on this forum and others about very weak snap. Some folks have even had to push one of the blades closed. Cleaning and lubing has helped in some case but not in all cases.

My Churchill has satisfactory snap on both blades. I wish I could agree with the 100% positive comment but that is not the case judging by what I have read.
Rick T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've already told y'all mine (Yellow Rose) needed a little Quick Release worked into it before the main had any snap. I just ordered a 35 Churchill Green Banana Bone this morning. It will be interesting to compare it to the Yellow Rose, snap-wise. Should be here by Friday. ::pray::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I should have been more specific with my "100% like" comment. I mean that people really like the pattern: looks and in hand feel. The weak snap is not 'perfect' but it seems to be improved with flushing, and it did not bring anyone to the point of saying "i don't like this knife".
So far i have only read of this issue with the Yellow Rose ones. How is snap with the Ebony ? Soon the AAPK knives will be in hand and we will learn how blade action is on these.
Question about 'crud in joints' with a new knife: how does it get there ? i.e. what stage of the assembly gets crud into joint ?
Is there a step in which joints should be cleaned before final assembly ?
I have quite a few GEC knives and so far no weak snap so only some knives get crud in joints. Why ?
kj
Knifegetter46

Post by Knifegetter46 »

kootenay joe wrote:I should have been more specific with my "100% like" comment. I mean that people really like the pattern: looks and in hand feel. The weak snap is not 'perfect' but it seems to be improved with flushing, and it did not bring anyone to the point of saying "i don't like this knife".
So far i have only read of this issue with the Yellow Rose ones. How is snap with the Ebony ? Soon the AAPK knives will be in hand and we will learn how blade action is on these.
Question about 'crud in joints' with a new knife: how does it get there ? i.e. what stage of the assembly gets crud into joint ?
Is there a step in which joints should be cleaned before final assembly ?
I have quite a few GEC knives and so far no weak snap so only some knives get crud in joints. Why ?
kj
My AAPK knife arrived today, and it is just gorgeous! The snap is just fine. I am more than happy with it. This is my 5th 35 pattern including the Blade Forum and the Ebony Harness Jack of last year. I have the yellow Rose and Cougar Claw. Just ordered the Hummingbird. All of them have an easy pull and good snap, all the same. Now 35s comprise 1/2 of my knife collection. I'll buy another knife when there is another run of 35s, probably not before.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What is the Hummingbird É
why does my keyboard type the above odd letter when i pressed the question mark key É
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:What is the Hummingbird É
why does my keyboard type the above odd letter when i pressed the question mark key É
kj
I don't know about your keyboard issue but the Hummingbird is GEC's name for the new Green Acrylic.
Attachments
FRWIMG_1756-27.jpg
Rick T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote: why does my keyboard type the above odd letter when i pressed the question mark key É
kj
I have to hold down the 'Alt' key and type 0201 on the ten key pad to get an É. I know there's a way to designate special characters for a given keystroke but I don't recall how to do it. You might try your friend Google.

Edit: Or just for kicks and giggles, try your old buddy 'power on reset' (sometimes called reboot) to see if that resolves your issue.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Turned computer off and now on again: here is character from question mark key: ?
It works !
I received an email from a knife maker in Czech Republic and then the odd characters began to occur.
Can a received email affect the font, etc. on the receiving computer ?
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote: Can a received email affect the font, etc. on the receiving computer ?
kj
What do you think? ::hmm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It seems unlikely but this same thing has happened previously with an email from Bulgaria, both being countries with a different alphabet from ours.
To be more specific the problem arose after i replied to their email.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

What is the porpoise of that funny looking E? ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

kootenay joe wrote:It seems unlikely but this same thing has happened previously with an email from Bulgaria, both being countries with a different alphabet from ours.
To be more specific the problem arose after i replied to their email.
kj
Install, and run Malware Bytes. It is free.
The email(s) may have installed a Key Logger.
Did you click on any links or simply use your reply button? If they sent a link to return the email as in another address, NEVER USE THEM!
Malware Bytes first, and then Anti Logger free. Anti logger encrypts every keystroke, and makes it impossible to record anything you type. I use them both.
PM me if you need more info/help.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Railsplitter wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:What is the Hummingbird É
kj
I don't know about your keyboard issue but the Hummingbird is GEC's name for the new Green Acrylic.
THOSE are some great looking GEC-s. I haven't seen one yet that I wanted but those are special. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for the help & offer of more assistance. I don't think i pressed Alt and 0201.
Computers are my weak link. Evolution will wean me out.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”