Nice high price Whaler

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Rusty1

Nice high price Whaler

Postby Rusty1 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:15 am

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Nice high price Whaler

Postby edge213 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:22 am

To pricey for me .
David
Research says ladders in the home are more dangerous than firearms, so I keep 20 firearms in case some idiot tries to sneak in a ladder!

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:09 am

Man, those things are selling for more than some old Cases! ::woot::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:09 am

$1000 for a recently made production knife. GEC certainly has the attention and interest of the 'knife crowd' and for good reason, they make GREAT folding knives. However i don't see this degree of interest lasting 'forever'. As such i think the very high prices that some GEC's are getting is temporary and will come down to closer to original price.
I have the same GEC Whaler but in ivory. I wonder if anyone would pay $1000 for it ?
kj

XxTestedxX

Postby XxTestedxX » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:11 pm

kootenay joe wrote:$1000 for a recently made production knife. GEC certainly has the attention and interest of the 'knife crowd' and for good reason, they make GREAT folding knives. However i don't see this degree of interest lasting 'forever'. As such i think the very high prices that some GEC's are getting is temporary and will come down to closer to original price.
I have the same GEC Whaler but in ivory. I wonder if anyone would pay $1000 for it ?
kj

depends who the seller is, if I sold a same knife id get half, sellers like 54rodgers, silverladdie, sportscolb and a few others have some loyal customers it seems, heck even ol tommy G can out sell me. fake or real LOL! ::facepalm::

XxTestedxX

Postby XxTestedxX » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:17 pm

54rodgers once bought a knife off a man and sold it back to him for 2x the purchase price in the same dealing.

lol, Just kidding. BUT seriously.. for as well as his auctions do he could probably buy knives on ebay at market value and still flip them for a living.

I'm not knocking these guys, wish I could sell everything as if it was gold, that would be nice.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 pm

XxTtxX, one would think that the knife itself largely determines the price but you are saying that it's the seller that has the biggest effect on price. I have observed the same thing: some sellers regularly get high prices whereas others always seem to sell very low despite a good searchable listing title.
I don't sell on ebay myself, only sell here in AAPK and i am a terrible at getting a top price. Maybe salesmen are born rather than develop ?
kj

Gunstock Jack

Postby Gunstock Jack » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:30 pm

I'ved noticed a bunch of GEC patterns suddenly getting very high prices. The 81's are an example as they are in the $300-400 range recently. ::uc::

Just shows ta go ya.... ::hmm::
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:50 am

GEC Mania has dominated the Traditionals forum on BF for the last 5 years. It fosters more interest & competition and is why most new releases get snapped up in minutes and why such high prices occur on secondary market.
Nothing lasts forever especially fads. GEC are great knives, the best traditional style folders made in our lifetime, but will the now inflated prices hold ? Will the so special GEC you just scored for $500, sell only at $100 in 5 years time ?
Gunstock Barry, you have a lot of knife experience, what do you think about this ?
kj

Gunstock Jack

Postby Gunstock Jack » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:32 am

I wish I knew kj! ::shrug::
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com

RalphAlsip
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby RalphAlsip » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:38 am

The GEC 98 Camp Knife in antique bone and the Northwoods single blade jack knives are other examples (in addition to the 81 Abilene stockman) where the prices are significantly higher than the original MSRP. I also saw a Canal Street Cannitler sell for approximately $380 recently. So I think knife prices in general are rising (for now lol).

My opinion is that as long as GEC and Northwoods continue to limit the supply on desirable patterns, values will hold. I have seen more 81 Abilene stockman knives hit the market in the past few weeks than I did in all of 2016. It makes me wonder if a new release of 81's is on the way from the factory and sellers are timing the market. The jigged stag 81 that sold recently on eBay for approximately $430 was very nice. I used to buy new GEC and Northwoods to be carry knives. I still follow that practice with Micarta knives, but not so much with bone / stag examples.

I agree knife values are cyclical in nature - I have no idea where we are in the cycle (rising, peaked, declining) :)

Tsar Bomba
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Tsar Bomba » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Gunstock Jack wrote:I wish I knew kj! ::shrug::

Doesn't seem like rolling the dice on GEC is a losing proposition very often, does it?
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby FRJ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:24 pm

I have looked at a few youtube videos about traditional pocket knives and the comments from younger knifers are they are tiring of tactical knives. They are more and more looking for traditionals, albeit new traditionals. It seems they haven't discovered the old time manufactures yet. This new trend may be bringing prices up.
I'm the first to admit I'm pretty much out of the loop so this may not be news to anybody. ::facepalm::
Joe

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”