GEC 48 Improved Trapper

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Turtle

Re: GEC 48 Improved Trapper

Post by Turtle »

looks like the Northfield bone will be pickle green
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Better stick that here because it won't be at the other end of that link by tomorrow night. Looks more like Chicago Hot Dog green relish green to me. :lol:
Attachments
GEC-ILLUSTRATED.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Green has proved to be popular for some years now, since the Camillus made 'Remington' folders of 1990's ?
Am i the only one who does not like the look of this green on any knife ?
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not the only one. Green belongs on traffic control lights, grass, trees and money.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Not a fan of that green either...if it was a deep olive colored green that would be different, but pickle green does nothing for me. Maybe if they called it jalapeno green I might be more inclined to dig it.. :lol:
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I don't care for it either.I was hoping for something like Calico jigged bone or smooth Calico bone,I haven't seen these two since 2013 when the #92 Eureka Jack came out.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I dig that green (but I always dig green :mrgreen:) and I think it's going to convince me to get a #48 improved. It looks close to my favorite Case #54 and I'd love to have it with a Wharnie blade:
33285924040_0660c5a2f4_b.jpg
33629278916_7bc8c93354_b.jpg
I put in a sure thing reservation on the NF bone, which is likely the pickle green. I may check with GSJ as well since I lost out on the #13 reservation last time. With as many variations on the improved as there are I think the lolly scramble shouldn't be nearly as intense...
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I broke down and put in a "Maybe" at Collector Knives. I wanted the Rotten Banana but they were all spoken for by the time I got there, sooo I opted for the Acrylic two blade. It depends on what it is of course, whether I follow through or not. I've liked a good bit of GEC's Acrylic so I'm not too concerned. Time will tell.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote:I broke down and put in a "Maybe" at Collector Knives. I wanted the Rotten Banana but they were all spoken for by the time I got there, sooo I opted for the Acrylic two blade. It depends on what it is of course, whether I follow through or not. I've liked a good bit of GEC's Acrylic so I'm not too concerned. Time will tell.
They always are. If GEC announces a #15 Barlow run in rotten banana bone I may need to fly to OK and put in a reservation with Mike personally. ::rotflol::

Not the world's biggest fan of acrylic knives but my one GEC, a camo #18, is pretty neat. I just don't have much occasion to carry it so it mostly sits in its tube.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A half dozen of mine are Acrylic and the 2009 89 Pumpkin Patch is the only one I'm a little iffy about.
Attachments
Great Eastern Melon Tester Pumpkin Patch - 892309.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC03139.JPG
DSC03140.JPG
Green Bottle Glass is real KOOL!!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

kootenay joe wrote:Green has proved to be popular for some years now, since the Camillus made 'Remington' folders of 1990's ?
Am i the only one who does not like the look of this green on any knife ?
kj
Can't say the new pickle green 48 does anything for me, but they've done pickle green before on the 85 teardrop or bullet end jack (their term) and I thought it looked good. Really wish I'd bought one.... ::huff:: ::smirk::
Attachments
851212-pickle-green-jig-bone.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Seriously can't wait for my impulse buy bloodwood #48. Hoping the bone is soon to follow. ::nod::

The GEC blog is taunting me at this point. ::sneaky::
GEDC0575.jpg
GEDC0576.jpg
GEDC0581.jpg
GEDC0597-1.jpg
GEDC0578.jpg
Hurry up and ship!!! ::groove::
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

Picked up a couple at the Oregon Collectors knife Show last weekend, got 2 of Charlie's (upnorth) SFO and a Tiger Eye Acrylic.
Love the jigging and bone on Charlie's!! ::tu::
IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2097.JPG
IMG_2091.JPG

Dave
Attachments
IMG_2095.JPG
I don't speak no Flathead ya know!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This GEC #48 pattern has just been released as a Northwoods called the "Hawthorne Jack": 2 blade choices, clip or Wharncliffe and 4 handle choices: mammoth, giraffe bone, Micarta and stag.
There are basically 2 differences between a Northwoods & a GEC. Some Northwoods have a unique Wharncliffe like blade that is their own design, and the handle materials are more 'upscale'.
I have many of the Northwoods, acquired as they were released. I really like ivory & mammoth ivory as knife handles so these are what i often go for.
The Hawthorne Jack became available at 1400 hrs EST yesterday at the KSF website. I was there right at the first second and had a chance to take a quick look at most of the mammoth ivory ones. I was planning to buy one, but i did not feel 'moved' at all by any of them. For the $100+ extra for mammoth i want a knife that 'grab's me'.
I am disappointed with this run of Northwoods. In the past there have been Northwoods with most attractive mammoth, a few of which i now have.
I'm posting this to ask if anyone else checked over the Hawthornes yesterday at 1400 hrs EST. Time is important as they did not last more than ~ 1/2 hour. Do you share my ho-hum reaction to what i perceive as rather boring mammoth on these Hawthornes ?
Did you buy one ?
kj
mikek

Post by mikek »

The wife and I stopped in at GEC on Wednesday, Miss Christine was helpful as usual.
Attachments
#48 Amber and a #15 nifebrite
#48 Amber and a #15 nifebrite
I pay extra for patina

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”