23 american elk

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
blademaker

23 american elk

Post by blademaker »

I have no idea how to properly post an ebay auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-EASTERN-2 ... 2213675576 Nice knife. I've been outbid..just gone out of my budget
big monk

Re: 23 american elk

Post by big monk »

blademaker wrote:I have no idea how to properly post an ebay auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-EASTERN-2 ... 2213675576 Nice knife. I've been outbid..just gone out of my budget
this what you want ?? ::tu::
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
blademaker

Post by blademaker »

Thanks Big Monk! But I was talking about the link though. It magically appeared in my post, guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Ive been looking for one of these for awhile. I think there is a hungry bidder out there, we'll see how high it goes.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

54Rodgers always has some wonderful knives, and he has a fan club, like Bill Swan (Sportcolbs) who think that it is ok to release any amount of money asked for their wares. Very strange, in my opinion, but this year has seen a lot of very strange phenomena :shock: and the older I get the stranger the world becomes. That GEC would be a fine buy at $150; I have purchased one for less than that in beautiful untorched genuine sambar stag. It is a wonderful pattern.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Just went to an Estate sale in the hood , a guy moving back to Colorado,,to hot here in summer moons for him,,, went
at noon saturday cause everthing got reduced, After seeing what this went for,,
I feel real good getting a great 5 X 5 Elk rack kilt in Colorado with just
great bottom shovel tines on em for $100.00 bucks !!!

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Elk #23 made in 2009 sold for $463 !!
My bet is that these very high prices for many of the GEC from a few years ago will not be maintained. We will know in about 10 yrs time.
Stagman, do you cut up racks to make pocket knife handles ? I would like to see a picture of the 5x5 elk rack with lines photo-diddled on showing where you would make your cuts.
Most elk racks i have seen are too rounded, no flat areas which i think are necessary for knife handle material ?
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a GEC #23, made in 2007, with Red Stag handles.
In general are the early GEc, 2006 & 2007, valued higher than the later years ?
And, how does Red Stag stack up against Elk for desirability with GEC collectors ?
Do i have a $463 knife here ?? :D
kj
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
big monk

Post by big monk »

Hey Joe --- you may just have that $463 knife ??? They only made 36 of the 2007 single blade #23 Red Stag --- I sold mine several years back for $350*** :)

They only made 37 of that #23 Elk that sold*** ( hence the big $$$$$ ) ::shrug::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
blademaker

Post by blademaker »

I have a 2008 #23 liner lock in beautiful natural stag, I don't know the production numbers on it , but paid way less, just recently, than this elk went for. I love the elk and knew it would go higher, but had know idea it would go that high.
KJ Ive cut up a 5x5 elk antler and got very few slabs that were flat enough for a big folding knife. You can get more if the knifes are small. Each antler is different, and for the most part GEC does a good job of cutting handles. Im not a fan of fat handles on a folding knife. Most of the 5x5 I cut up went on hidden tang fixed blades. Love to work with elk, it'll polish like ivory.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

No KJ...not gonna cut em up...they even gave me a nice hardwood plaque
to mount the rack on...just got em sat so have not got around to it yet
went out today with it 72 & dead sunny and hunted up a few flakes of gold

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives
Attachments
000_0002.JPG
blademaker

Post by blademaker »

Nice Will... ! I had a hard time making my first cut, but my deal was I had to make the gentleman who gave it to me a hunter out of a brow tine...turned out killer and he gave me a 6x6 european mount.... ::uc:: ...could not accept it and gave it to his son
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a few elk antler drops that i have found on my property, mostly during late Spring before the rodents begin gnawing on them.
I tried to send some to Bruce Bump(knife maker in Oregon) but got turned back at the border. It is illegal to import animal parts into USA without permission from 2 (or 3 ?) different Federal departments.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”