GEC 46 Whaler

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Rusty1

GEC 46 Whaler

Post by Rusty1 »

What a price this one went for. I think this is the most a Whaler has realized.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-EASTERN-4 ... Sw4GVYMgPF
XX Case XX

Re: GEC 46 Whaler

Post by XX Case XX »

My word!! And shipping wasn't included?????? I thought I'd seen it all... :shock:

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

:shock: ::uc::
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Interesting. These # 46 always sell for a high price; "high" to me meaning over $150. $667 likely is the highest to date. Nice Stag and not too fat, but not inlaid with gold or diamonds.
I wonder what the prices for a # 46 Whaler will be in 10 years time ? It is possible that they could double in which case the winner of this Stag Whaler will make a tidy profit.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have quite a few GEC knives and they really are 'special'. Not a disappointment in the group. But i never had an interest in the big #46 Whaler until this thread ! Somehow seeing the lovely 2012 Stag Whaler that someone spent $667 on tweaked my interest.
Then yesterday i had a chance to buy a #46 made in 2011 and for considerably less than ebay one. It's in the mail but here is a picture from the kind seller.
Not bad eh ?
kj
Attachments
IMG_3909.jpg
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

KJ, you got a real rare one there,great buy! When you handle that monster I bet it brings a big grin to your face, once you get one you will want more.

I followed an auction about 6 months ago for a 2012 Rendezvous Whaler with scrimshaw handles, I remember it hammering for over 800.00.

I picked these Rendezvous parts knives up this year, same frame, they are already reselling for double what I paid.
Attachments
IMG_5763.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks johnR. Can you explain what "Rendezvous parts knives" are ?
Is Rendezvous a get together of GEC fans ? Are knife parts for sale there for do it yourselfers ?
Where might i get one of these knives ?
Lotta questions, hope you don't mind.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #46 linked to in the OP has 2012 as year made. According to the GEC website #46 was made in 2011 and 2013 only.
I know they have omitted a few of the handle types for some patterns, but failing to show an entire pattern for the year is not something i have seen reported.
Be nice to hear from a GEC 'expert' on this one.
The #46(Whaler) is 4 3/8"
The #45 looks like the same frame and comes in 2 versions: Lumberjack at 4 3/8" and the Roughneck which is 4 1/2".
How can one of these(Roughneck) be 1/8" longer when it is the same frame and same bolsters/caps ?
kj
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I'll take the road less traveled again. That pattern does nothing at all for me, though of the two shown, I much prefer the ivory. Glad they're making seller's a profit.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

The Rendezvous is a get together that GEC has every year in August, 3 days of like minded knife nuts getting together and having fun. Gec produces a special Rendezvous knife every year that is only available at the Rendezvous and usually limited to 30 or so pieces, I do think this year they did 50 do to the popularity of the event.
They usually also have parts knives, these are knives they make from parts they had laying around in a configuration that was not available previously, these can be very limited, for instance I have a Beer Scout with a spear blade from the 2015 Rendezvous that they only made 7 , no parts are available for sale,only complete knives.
This year parts knives were special, they had 3 versions of the 92 Eureka Jack and they had these 45's, I think the only difference between the 45 and 46 is which end they put the blades on. What was really neat was the 45's were literally coming off the final station of the production line and going right into the store, I swear they were still warm from the oil bath.
As far as getting one of the Rendezvous knives they crop up on Ebay and in the knife forums for sale section every now and then, the only other way is to be at the Rendezvous or have a friend there to pick one up, they do limit the actual yearly Rendezvous knife to one per person a day.
Best part of the Rendezvous is getting together with friends, have made several new ones over the last 2 years from the forums and the event, really look forward to it each year.
Pic is of this years haul and last years spear blade Beer Scout.
Attachments
IMG_3903.jpg
IMG_5761.jpg
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

kootenay joe wrote:The #46 linked to in the OP has 2012 as year made. According to the GEC website #46 was made in 2011 and 2013 only.
I know they have omitted a few of the handle types for some patterns, but failing to show an entire pattern for the year is not something i have seen reported.
Be nice to hear from a GEC 'expert' on this one.
The #46(Whaler) is 4 3/8"
The #45 looks like the same frame and comes in 2 versions: Lumberjack at 4 3/8" and the Roughneck which is 4 1/2".
How can one of these(Roughneck) be 1/8" longer when it is the same frame and same bolsters/caps ?
kj
The particular knife sold on eBay was made in 2011. I think the cap even shows it. What's strange there is that the GEC website only say there were three genuine stag made, this one is stamped No4. Another must of been made with materials left over. How on earth did you find that ivory Whaler? I have been looking for one what seems like forever, nice find!! What a beauty.
I think somewhere along the way the measurements given for the Whaler and Roughnecks differing sizes cannot be correct, as you say they are on the same frame.

Russell
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

JohnR, thanks so much for explaining 'Rendevous' & the 'Parts Knives'. All new info to me and useful as well.
Rusty i got 2012 as the year of OP Stag Whaler from the ebay listing title but i see from the pictures the "2011" and # "04" on the tube & lid. Thanks for clearing this up.
Quote smh85420: "Glad they're making seller's a profit"
I don't think the seller of the ivory Whaler made much money. Ivory handled knives have some uncertainty about their legal status and some collectors have stopped buying them as well as selling the ivory knives they already own. So at present selling price for elephant ivory handled knives has not increased and might be down some.
There are no ivory #46 knives for 2011 listed on the GEC website.
Does anyone know how many were made ? and what the dealers sold them for ?
kj
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

They are listed on the GEC web site with five only made. Interior elephant ivory, maybe someone else knows how much they were going for.

Russell
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rusty thanks for giving # of ivory Whalers produced. I had not used the "Production Totals" option before and now see i was looking at the Tidioute #46 totals which is zero for ivory. I did not see that the Northfields are listed separately after the Tidioutes.
The Northfields show 5 "Interior Elephant Ivory" and 1 "Bark Elephant Ivory" for the 2011 #46 Whaler.
kj
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I was told by Ken Daniels when I bought this one there were 4 made.1 was given away in a promotion by Knives Illustrated Magazine.
Attachments
20161204_230040.jpg
20161204_230150.jpg
Roger
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Another fine example. It is a shame there are not enough to go round, love those.

Russell
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rusty if i ever hear of another one available i will let you know.
Have you tried posting a "Want to Buy" here and on BF ?
It is a good time to do so because some collectors want to sell off their ivory handled knives but at the same time are leery of advertising that they have them.
kj
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Thank you kj, I think I will try that,would like one for sure.

Russell

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”