What Pattern do you hope to see in 2016?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

What Pattern do you hope to see in 2016?

Post by FarSide »

Just wondering what pattern you would love to see GEC put into production this last half of 2016.
I would love to see the #89 which has not been produced since 2012 if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe the #33 with a wharncliffe main blade.
-Tim
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What Pattern do you hope to see in 2016?

Post by jerryd6818 »

I would love to see an English jack with a spear main, Wharncliffe secondary, stepped bolsters, deep etched cap bolsters and stag covers.

Except for the main & covers, this is very close.
Attachments
S&M English Jack - Modified Spear Blade.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

That would be a great pattern. Has GEC made that pattern? I did a little looking, and saw where the old Northwoods made one a while back.
-Tim
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

How about a big ole clasp knife. Like a Case 72.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

FarSide wrote:That would be a great pattern. Has GEC made that pattern? I did a little looking, and saw where the old Northwoods made one a while back.
Not that I'm aware of. That knife is a modified S&M 042 129 F&W Series 3 Edition 2 ~ 2005 English Jack. About the closest GEC got was the #65 Ben Hogan. It's the right length but it's only one blade and it has the "copperhead" hump on the bolster.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I'd like to see a #63 Mako Lockback with a Sabre ground blade and swing guard. Really like the fishtail bolster...add a swing guard to that and it would look just like the old gravity knives a friend's older brother brought back from Mexico in the 60's I was just a youngster, but I tried every way I could think of to get one of those knives. I guess I finally pestered him enough that he just up and gave me one. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil...sometimes it gets replaced.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I would like to see Mr. Howard design a nice 5" Granddaddy Barlow, a new pattern for GEC.
Traditional clip point blade, with long pull and cut swedges, brass liners, monogram Northfield bolster, and end caps.
The recent releases by Schatt & Morgan/Queen are a nice example of this knife, but GEC could do it even better.

Dave
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I'll second that idea...a GEC Daddy Barlow...that's a knife I'd buy
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
h2chuck

Post by h2chuck »

Hello
I for one would love for GEC to make another whittler like the sought after 38 whittler. It is a very comfortable and sharp looking (no pun intended)knife.
I am searching for a GEC 38 whittler in Autumn jig bone now and to no aveil.I am certain I will find one soon for my collection or I hope to. The Case xx has a knife very similar to it and there are a cpl other manufactures that have them as well and to me it is not pocket heavy rides real well and as I stated it is very comfortable. That is my 2 cents worth on it anyway and thanks for allowing me to be a part of this fantastic organization. :D ::tu::

Chuck
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Daddy Barlow = Excellent idea.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Sounds to me like there might just be enough interest in that Granddaddy Barlow for me to send a personal letter to Bill Howard and ask that it be considered. I have been thinking of doing this and I appreciate the support here, so I will get it done. Can't hurt to try, right?

Chris has indicated to me by email that the Production Schedule is pretty much planned for this year, but I guess there is always "next year". In any case it can't hurt to let Bill know a few of us would like a Daddy Barlow from GEC. I certainly have no influence on anything GEC. I am just another voice crying in the wilderness. But I will send a letter and we'll see what happens.

Thanks to all for your interest. ::tu::

Dave
leggo

Post by leggo »

I'd like a 98 pattern Texas Camp knife one inch shorter with black buffalo horn and knifebright scales.
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

Love to see a stockman patternd after a Case 18 :) about 3 1/2 inches long .
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'd like to see a large (3-1/2 to 4 inch or thereabouts, maybe even up to 4-1/4 inches) gunstock whittler. One of my favorite patterns but for some reason few are made, especially recently. Bone or stag handles.

Ken
Attachments
Gunstock whittler
Gunstock whittler
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I've never cared much for Barlows and don't even know why, but I'd sure buy one if it came with blades like the big English jack Jerry suggested. That I've never seen. ___Dave
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

My vote would be for the 152114EC ::tu:: but when I talked to them at the Blade Show they said "not going to happen" :(

Keith
Boys Knife.JPG
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
WhiteSliceKevin

Post by WhiteSliceKevin »

I would like to see what amounts to a #14 Boy's Knife but increased from 3" to 3 5/8"+ but no larger than 4" (closed) with the same spear type blade. I'd like Gabon Ebony to be an option. That's my dream knife. Maybe there's already a pattern for what I have described.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Kevin, I think maybe the #77 swell-end pattern would be what you're looking for. I think there has been Gabon ebony in earlier runs, I just don't know if any of them had spears (I don't often pay attention to the "boy's knives" style jacks -- not enough bolster! 8)). Since there was already a #77 run last month, it's entirely possible an SFO might drop that fits your dream knife, so I'd definitely keep an eye on GEC's blog and the various official retailers who notify on upcoming runs. Speaking of which...

Got the text today that one of Charlie C's SFO TC Barlows (the #15) was available for reservation in chestnut jigged bone. Thankfully I was at my desk and was able to secure one of the reservations, because after about 10 minutes or so I refreshed the page and they were already on standby (but not yet locked). I haven't checked since, but there's an outside chance they're still on standby at CK, and of course you might want to check with your favored GEC retailer if they offer early reserves...

With the #77 Barlow SFO from September and now this (plus the upcoming Beer Scout run for which I've also got a reservation) my GEC cup overfloweth! ::ds::

Anybody manage to stake a claim on the latest run today?
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

WhiteSliceKevin wrote:I would like to see what amounts to a #14 Boy's Knife but increased from 3" to 3 5/8"+ but no larger than 4" (closed) with the same spear type blade. I'd like Gabon Ebony to be an option. That's my dream knife. Maybe there's already a pattern for what I have described.
Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

The one they made in '12 is 3½" closed. Is that too short for you?
Attachments
152212-ebony-wood.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”