New #98 Pattern

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
johnny twoshoes

Re: New #98 Pattern

Post by johnny twoshoes »

Leggo, if you could let us know what they say I would appreciate it greatly! ::tu::
leggo

Post by leggo »

johnnytwoshoes I called them and yes they are going to make them . They should be available about mid April . We had a bad phone connection , so I couldn't really get any details on the different scales they will have or anything else . ::td:: I'm really looking forward to a GEC Scout Knife ! ::ds::
johnny twoshoes

Thank you so much Leggo!!!
I was starting to worry it wasn't going to happen. Even though it's a lot bigger then I expect a scout Knife to be I really want one!
leggo

Post by leggo »

You're very welcome J2Shoes ! I hear ya...I think it should be about an inch shorter. I hope they make some smooth bone ones different colors ,( I like colors on knives ) a nice black Buffalo horn one. The blue camel bone like on the Ben Hogans I think would be nice.Maybe they will get some feedback about the size and make smaller ones later. I'd like one with a flat blade and a Phillips head screwdriver and a sheeps foot blade ,awl and can and bottle opener with a bale. ::nod::
Attachments
1456264920364.jpg
johnny twoshoes

Leggo, nothing wrong with a little color in your collection!!!
The smooth bone is growing on me. I recently picked up a primitive bone #73 and a smooth beavertail #73 in I believe smooth ivory bone.
leggo

Post by leggo »

Got it and I love it.9 :D
Attachments
1459910998160.jpg
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Love that smooth bone. Mine came in today and I am overwhelmed, large knife but man is it done well. GEC really knocked it out of the park. One of the pictures is with a Case Grand Daddy Barlow which is slightly bigger.
Attachments
IMG_5266.jpg
IMG_5265.jpg
IMG_5269.jpg
IMG_5271.jpg
IMG_5272.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Very nice! Where are you ordering them from ? I can't seem to find a seller.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

philllll wrote:Hey Lyle!

You talkin' bout this one? ::shrug:: :mrgreen: ::paranoid::
IMG_4782_zpsz9b5a4qs.jpg
IMG_4785_zpsq2gstwgf.jpg
Philllllllllllllllll you have a PM.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
leggo

Post by leggo »

JohnR wrote:Love that smooth bone. Mine came in today and I am overwhelmed, large knife but man is it done well. GEC really knocked it out of the park. One of the pictures is with a Case Grand Daddy Barlow which is slightly bigger.
Man that looks nice ! Now which one is that called ? Is that the autumn jigged bone or...?
I like the etch on your blade too.Mine says Northfield .They are big heavy substantial knives , I love the fit, finish , snap,pull and EVERYTHING on these knives ::ds:: I hope they keep making Camp knives and about a 3-1/2" one would be nice too.
leggo

Post by leggo »

RalphAlsip wrote:Very nice! Where are you ordering them from ? I can't seem to find a seller.
Ralph I got the smooth bone directly from GEC and I have Cranberry Campagna coming from knivesshipfree.com. Did you check the GEC distributor page ? On the homepage at Great Eastern Cutlery ?
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Lego thanks for responding. I've checked several distributor websites and most of them don't show the 98 as a pattern. KSF, does show 98, but doesn't show any inventory and doesn't show sold out. My speculation is the official release has not yet occurred and maybe pre-orders have shipped. ::shrug::

I will continue to monitor the usual stores. I'm more interested in the cattle knife.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Very nice John and Leggo.I think I have one,but it'll be after the Oregon Show.I also am looking for the whittler,wish Bill had made some of them in smooth ivory or white bone.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
johnny twoshoes

I'm very happy to report that I've received a #98 in smooth white bone from Bob Andrews over at oldhundredcollectables.com. The knife is perfect in fit and finish! I'm shocked at how little room for error there is between each blade and yet it doesn't rub at all. The backspring are quite large on this pattern, but the tension when opening the blades is rather easy! I'm a giant fan of a big clip blade, so this one suits me quite well, although I'm used to camp knives having a big 'ol spear, I have to wonder if we will see a #98 sporting a spear blade at some time?

After the knife has spent some time in my pocket I hope to have an educated review to share!
image.jpeg
leggo

Post by leggo »

Johnny that would be great to read a review of the 98 ! I'm looking forward to it , as a matter of fact I think it would be interesting to read a review on ANY type of GEC knife . 8)
wlf

Post by wlf »

He can give a great review Leggo on many GEC patterns he's owned personally. ::tu:: ::tu::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
leggo

Post by leggo »

wlf wrote:He can give a great review Leggo on many GEC patterns he's owned personally. ::tu:: ::tu::
Yea I'll bet he can because he actually uses them . I've never used any of mine inc!uding the Cranberry SFO 98 I just opened a minute ago. It's just too d*mned pretty to scratch up. I'm gonna have to see if I can get a wood handled one and "actually" use it now . :roll:
I'll see if I can do it , somehow I can scratch up a Case or Buck ,etc. and it doesn't bother me ..but these GEC's are like a work of art to me.

Update -- I ordered the Kingwood 98 today ...when it gets here I am going to try my hardest to see if I can beat my fear of using it ::paranoid::
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

I kept this one to carry. It's deceptively thin for a larger triple blade, and rides upright in my front right pocket no prob. ::tu::
IMG_2402.JPG
I love the big, deep bellied clip blade, and the spear and sheepfoot complete the set. Pull is stout, but not too stout, with the main being about a 6-7 and the secondary blades coming in a bit stouter (seemingly).

Unfortunately, GEC made very few of these and those that I received were bought up very quickly. ::shrug:: ::tear:: ::disgust::

Hope you got one! ::super_happy::
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”