New for this year.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
johnny twoshoes

New for this year.

Post by johnny twoshoes »

As of 2016 GEC will no longer be adding shields to their stag handled knives.
image.jpeg

Looks like you have to click it to be able to read it.
SteelMyHeart85420

Re: New for this year.

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Certainly a management decision, to cut an operation that most customers seem to prefer, just to cut costs...especially after management has proved to themselves that they personally can't do the work (skilled labor, oh, noooo). I reckon the bright side is the increase in value of existing models that do have shields.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Boooooo!!!!!!!!! ::td:: ::td::

Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I'm sure this will be a cost saving feature, for the company, I doubt it for the consumer. I sure don't buy the eyesore issue.

I prefer a nice shield, even on stag. And I would think that folks paying a premium price for a premium knife would as well.

Just my opinion on the topic, not the knives. I hope they're continually successful.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

SHOES !! ! !! ! whaaar you been ????

HET
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

I prefer the shields on stag and will miss them. That's not to say I won't be tempted by a naked stag from time to time. I do wonder if they'll be a bit cheaper now w'out them.
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

I have to admit that when I first heard the news that this decision was reached I was disappointed, not for any reason other than it's what I'm used to, it's what I expect on a knife. With that being said I've had time to process the thoughts behind the decision, having Mr. Howard's written words have helped me. Having had many opportunities to talk with Mr. Howard in person I know he isn't trying to "skimp" out on the work it takes to make a quality knife. I personally have read complaints on the cleft left in a deeply burrowed shield, but it's the nature of the beast.

I've also had the, "what if" thoughts regarding the stag knives I have. For instance, my favorite knife being a stag #73L, it has a deep, beautiful canyon running down the center of the mark side, however that natural flow is interrupted by the shield placement. So, I've wondered many times wether or not the shield was necessary, does it really add that much to the knife overall?
IMG_2945.jpg

Now, as far as the question of skilled labor is concerned I've personally had this conversation with each of the Howards regarding the employee's skill level and so on, I do it every year at the Rendezvous. Like any manufacturing company there are struggles and learning curves for new employees, some people aren't cut out for the cutlery industry (No pun intended). So when they lose someone who is trained and efficient at a particular position it's not easy to fill it right away. The added stress here is that knife nuts like us are going to go over our knives with a fine tooth comb in order to make sure we are fully satisfied. There are always going to be two sides to any debate. You'd be hard pressed to find another name in the cutlery business that does what Mr. Howard has in his lifelong journey with knives.... Managements skill is above question for me.
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

I own only two knives in Sambar stag, both made by Canal Street. One, a stockman, has the Canal Street shield. The other, an Eric's Jack, does not. The stockman's shield is placed as well as it could possibly be, but I would like it even better if the shield were absent.

I do own a GEC #42 Missouri Trader in elk antler. You couldn't improve upon the placement of its acorn shield, but I'd like it just as well if that shield were absent.

Count me among those who applaud this change.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”