My first GEC

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
chevycannontexasjack

My first GEC

Post by chevycannontexasjack »

I have always been an old case knife collector and I went out to find a new case that maybe would interest me but all I see and can find is collection knives the case knives now are weak and have very little walk and talk! So I started looking at GEC knives and heard lots of good things! So I was on a trip in the mountains and stopped by Smoky Mountain Knife Works and found this beauty! I would like to know about how many were made because I have heard they make a very limited number of their knives!.. I would like to buy a few more just like it! And I can't seem to find this knife on their website!? #772215
Attachments
20151207_131313.jpg
20151207_131326.jpg
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My first GEC

Post by jerryd6818 »

That Yankee Jack is a fine choice for your first GEC or even your 31st GEC. I think that's Antique Yellow Jig Bone. The picture below will tell you about all there is to tell about the knife. There's no way of knowing how many were made until next spring when they release the production totals for 2015.
Attachments
772215-Antique-Yellow-Jig-Bone1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
chevycannontexasjack

Thanks Jerry, I am very new the GEC's but I'm loving this knife there isn't a downside to it I've seen yet! And is this 1095 carbon any good vs other high end knives with carbon!?
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

There are several forum members who carry and use their Great Easterns but I'm not one of them. I'm going to defer that question to someone with experience, although I have heard positive comments on the subject.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That jack knife is a beauty. Nice bone. I have a few (okay, three) GEC knives. I would rate mine as very fine knives indeed. One of the three I carry and use some. It is my pocket now. But I have not used it enough to have an opinion about the quality of the steel.

Funny how you feel that current Case knives are weak and have little walk and talk. That has certainly not been my experience. Guess it just depends on the individual knife a person gets.
Mel
chevycannontexasjack

I just feel case has almost moved from hard working tough knives like they use to have from the 70's and before! I believe their fit and finish is great but the majority of their knives have weaker back springs and I think the glued shield was an awful idea! Yes you can go buy a Tony Bose knife that has almost the same craftsmanship as the older case or the case select! But they are outrageous!! In my opinion case would be a great knife to collect but I don't see them ever being as good as they use to be! I have several old case knives and I wouldn't trade them for anything! I will say there are a few case knives that are just fine! But If this GEC holds up I'll be buying their knives from now on!
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Use it, you will love it!
Fine choice imho.
Welcome to the madness, er sickness, of gec!
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

chevycannontexasjack wrote:I just feel case has almost moved from hard working tough knives like they use to have from the 70's and before! ....the majority of their knives have weaker back springs and I think the glued shield was an awful idea! ...........I have several old case knives and I wouldn't trade them for anything! now on!
That's exactly why I moved away from Case and luckily found GEC. I'll admit I'm a fan-boy for GEC and have a good number of them. The quality of them, to include great walk & talk, fit & finish is comparable to 70s and earlier Case IMO.

I've got one of those jacks as well, Chevy. Great random & deep jigging on it. You picked a nice one to start with. ::tu::
wlf

Post by wlf »

GEC is no doubt the top quality production knife company in the US,probably the world. We are fortunate to still have a company that makes knives with Old World quality.

Their reputation spreads worldwide. Good choice.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
big monk

Post by big monk »

chevycannontexasjack wrote:I have always been an old case knife collector and I went out to find a new case that maybe would interest me but all I see and can find is collection knives the case knives now are weak and have very little walk and talk! So I started looking at GEC knives and heard lots of good things! So I was on a trip in the mountains and stopped by Smoky Mountain Knife Works and found this beauty! I would like to know about how many were made because I have heard they make a very limited number of their knives!.. I would like to buy a few more just like it! And I can't seem to find this knife on their website!? #772215
The dealers have a good selection right now**** And some in our AAPK Stores** Links below________ Good Luck, Monk ::tu::

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/aap ... stores.php

http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com/77-Y ... ck_c40.htm

http://www.bluecreekcutlery.com/77yankeejack.html

http://www.collectorknives.net/gec-77/
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”