What you would like to see GEC. make.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
cbnutt

What you would like to see GEC. make.

Post by cbnutt »

Not sure if there has been a thread on this, but as GEC reads the forum I think expressing ideas here could let them know what we would like to see made, mabey throwing out some sugestions here could happen with enough interest, so list a few you would like made. ::tu:: , off the top of my head,iam thinking more 73 single blades brought back,, clip blade on the Eureka Jack,, and my personal favorite if possible, a sort of copy of case 6318 stockmans, and 63047 case stockmans, made very close to the XX style.would "LOVE" to have GEC. made versions of those 2 in XX. :) ::tu::
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
Iron Hoarder

Re: What you would like to see GEC. make.

Post by Iron Hoarder »

Folding stag scaled bowie with swing guard and button lock. ::tu::
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

English Jack. Spear & large pen blades with the pen in front. Maybe on the 65 frame. It's the correct length but having never handled one, I don't know if it's wide enough. Might be once they got rid of that copperhead hump on the blade end & deep sixed the frames taper.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

I like all of the jacks coming out from them ::super_happy::

I would like to see something along the lines of the Forest Jack with a pen in front but with the tidi and northfield configs. Or a #54 frame with a clip and pen, pen in front, along the lines of the boys knife in ebony, bone etc.
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Cooter Brown

Post by Cooter Brown »

Instead of a specific pattern I'd like to see them do more of the type of jigging seen recently on some of the Pemberton and Eureka Jack models, I think the ones I've seen were in what they call Autumn Gold. It's a very irregular, random, deep pattern. My only complaint with GEC is that a lot of their jigging is too regular and repetitive. They got it dead right on some of the recent ones, as well as last year on some of the red 79 (Montana?) knives.

I like the 85 pattern a lot (don't have one yet) and would like to see one with that kind of jigging and both primary and secondary blades with nail nick on the shield side.

As far as a new pattern I think GEC could make a wonderful Scout/Camping knife. I feel like it's only a matter of time. With that many blades though it'll likely not be cheap, and that might be what is keeping them from doing it. It'd be a high price point for that kind of knife, but I bet they could make a beaut.
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

id also like to see match striker pulls on most of the blades. ::tu::
Wood-Guy

Post by Wood-Guy »

cbnutt wrote:id also like to see match striker pulls on most of the blades. ::tu::
I agree, more match strike pulls would be great! ::nod::
-Ryan-
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Post by oldblinddog »

54 Jacks with spear and pen blades.
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

I love GECs plain long pulls.
The matchstrikers are OK, I just like the plain long pulls best!
Id like to see a 4 bld scout too.
Mark
Wood-Guy

Post by Wood-Guy »

Yeah.... #54 jack in some wood, they don't have that yet I don't think... ::nod:: ::tu::
Perhaps a long pull with a match Strike spear blade/clip blade & Sheeps foot/coping/pen blade.
::hmm::
Any of the above combos.
-Ryan-
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Wood-Guy wrote:Yeah.... #54 jack in some wood, they don't have that yet I don't think... ::nod:: ::tu::
Perhaps a long pull with a match Strike spear blade/clip blade & Sheeps foot/coping/pen blade.
::hmm::
Any of the above combos.

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Robert

Post by Robert »

Switchblade :mrgreen: Maybe one that the shield deploys the blade........I think trevor would like it too :mrgreen:
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

I'm definitely not a GEC fan (actually, I'm more of an "anti-fan" after my experience a few years ago :lol: ), but I have to acknowledge that there are some things they do very well.

A scout/camp knife could be one of them, but not one with "cat-scratched strawberry-rootbeer panda-bone scales." Instead, a decent solid traditional scout knife with materials,fit, and finish more along the lines of that of their recent sodbuster production. But it has to be kid-friendly: a kid has to be able to open it without needing another kid, a pair of Visegrips, and a comealong.

Right now, nothing GEC makes really goes towards promoting the appreciation and use of traditional knives amongst the next generations--this could be a major step in that direction. Actually, no one seems to be making such a knife here in the US. The camp knives I see in use among adults tend to be old Remington/Pals, Camillus, or the Ulster 5-blade scout knife. The kids either have an older one that was passed down to them, or they are carrying a SAK or Junior-tactical.

I probably wouldn't buy one, but I'd promote the heck out of them amongst the kids, and more importantly the parents/grandparents. (Actually, I might buy one: I can't seem to locate my Remington. I think I loaned it to someone. . . . )

But my secret dream is for someone--anyone--make a decent quality repro of the Remington 1306 Bullet knife here in the US. I'm not real happy that the only way I can get one suited for actual use is to buy an off-shore knife. If GEC did that, and I could be confident I could order one without concerns about problems with the knife or needing to send it to the factory, I'd buy one.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Agree with most of the "blade layout" suggestions here, but would like to see them make some of their recent Jack offerings with Clip mains.

I get that spears are "traditional" and work well in a lot of these frames, but man if you're not into spear blades, you're left out a lot lately.

If they would make a 73, 56 or 66 Jack, with a clip main and pen second (pen in front), with long pulls both on the shield side, that would be sweet.

Also, long pulls and threaded bolsters on a 440c knife once in a while would be cool. The new 62's are threaded, that was a nice touch.

~ Edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

On Edge wrote:If they would make a 73 Jack, with a clip main and pen second (pen in front)
Lots of great ideas, folks. I've found that what I want today changes from what I want next week and next month, and so on. ::facepalm:: However, I'd sure like to see some 73s as described above. Even better, IMO would be a drop point 73 jack with coping or pen blade secondary in front of the main blade. (Much like the 72 cody jack, but with a #5 drop pt blade ) Make it in ebony please, with and without end caps. ::nod::
Blademan13

Post by Blademan13 »

Off the top of my head:

Large (5 1/4") coke bottle framed lock-back
#42 Trader all steel
#81 frame stockman with California clip primary
#68 White Owl with tip bolsters and MOP covers
kamagong

Post by kamagong »

I have two on my GEC wish list. Entirely feasible too, given than GEC already has the frames for them.

The first is an English lambsfoot knife.

Image by upnorth

Build this on the #47 Hay'n Helper frame, add bolsters and some suitable bone covers and I think GEC has a winner on their hands. I'd be just as happy if they went with a wharncliffe blade and made it a swayback.

The second knife I wish GEC would make is a single blade #73 with a clip point blade. Something along the lines of the blade found on the 2013 Case/Bose collaboration. That'd be a sweet knife.
Blademan13

Post by Blademan13 »

I'd be in for both of those. That lambsfoot would be a great addition to join the Pony Jack and Boys knife. Of course an upscale Northfield with rat tail bolsters would rock as well.
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

i agree with the clip on the 73, the 72 wasn't to bad.
Wood-Guy

Post by Wood-Guy »

Been doing some thinking... I think I'd like to see GEC make another run of the kitchen knives & possibly add some more variations to the mix. ::hmm:: ::tu:: ::nod::
-Ryan-
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

The GEC#74 Mustang is being made right now. "THINGS TO PONDER ??" CLUE --- This sure looks like a GEC#74 Saddle Trapper run coming up after the #74 Mustangs.
the-horse-and-the-snake-benigne-gagneraux (1).jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

I want to see GEC make an AAPK 2020 members #74 Northfield Mustang knife. I think I got my wish !!!!!
Y4T8Njw.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Black Teal Natural Bone GEC#19 Little Rattler
uMuCoMx.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

I have been hoping for a GEC#47 Viper run for a few years. Only 200 pieces of each choice will be made.
schedule23434547.jpg
schedule23434547.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Onearmbladejunkie

Mike Latham has announced that the new count will be 275 pieces per choice, not 200 pieces on the #47 Viper run.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”