#15 Sawyer Barlow & Huckleberry Boys Knife

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
hatback

Re: #15 Sawyer Barlow & Huckleberry Boys Knife

Post by hatback »

Ryan ... that Lacewood custom is amazing, and the mirror-polished spear blade really enhances its appeal. Congrats on that one!

I picked up a few from the recent run of Sawyers and I'm glad I was able to locate one in Soup Bone. I plan to rotate them all.

Wood-Guy

Post by Wood-Guy »

Thanks! ::tu:: I sure am glad to have it. That's a nice variety of TC's you have. The lace wood goes a long well with my African blackwood & walnut with sheepsfoot blade. ::nod::
-Ryan-
jon_slider

Post by jon_slider »

Have a laugh on me Guys. Today I thought I lost my Ebony Spear TC, so I ordered a barehead ebony spear boys knife.. Then I found my TC between the front seats of the car. Life is good :-)

ImageImage
Haters Hate to COEXIST
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Wish I would find a Ebony Spear TC between my car´s front seats too.... ::hmm:: :mrgreen:
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
big monk

Post by big monk »

Capt. Farrel wrote:Wish I would find a Ebony Spear TC between my car´s front seats too.... ::hmm:: :mrgreen:

PM sent_______________ Monk ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
jon_slider

Post by jon_slider »

Capt. Farrel wrote:Wish I would find a Ebony Spear TC between my car´s front seats too.... ::hmm:: :mrgreen:
LOL!
Well, I know of a source for a very rare barehead Ebony Spear Boys knife if you want one (besides the one I got), email me if you want the source. (I dont want to violate any forum rules against naming vendors in posts)

fwiw, the barehead Boys Knife was never officially produced by GEC, All the Ebony Spear Boys were Jacks, capped end. But they apparently had a few more spears than pen blades, so they made up a few single blade spear boys, with blades that were already stamped for 2 blade models.. the ebony btw, is Macassar, like the first run of TC Barlows.. will share a pic of my specimen after the postman comes through..

and for today (a pic in every post), my Grail knife is Baaaack

Haters Hate to COEXIST
big monk

Post by big monk »

LOL!
Well, I know of a source for a very rare barehead Ebony Spear Boys knife if you want one (besides the one I got), email me if you want the source. (I dont want to violate any forum rules against naming vendors in posts)

No rules to violate ,Jon___________________
Link to the ""Rare Barehead"" :) ----just scroll up the page****

http://www.collectorknives.net/greateastern5.html#END

MONK****
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

jon_slider wrote: a very rare barehead Ebony Spear Boys knife if you want one (besides the one I got), email me if you want the source. (I dont want to violate any forum rules against naming vendors in posts)

fwiw, the barehead Boys Knife was never officially produced by GEC, All the Ebony Spear Boys were Jacks, capped end. But they apparently had a few more spears than pen blades, so they made up a few single blade spear boys, with blades that were already stamped for 2 blade models.. the ebony btw, is Macassar, like the first run of TC Barlows.. will share a pic of my specimen after the postman comes through..
I think it's a neat knife & has a more "old school" look to it than the end capped versions. ::nod:: Didn't know it was Macassar ebony. Does it say that on the tube cap? Can't recall if mine does or not. I wish I'd had the good sense to get one in ivory bone before they sold out.
jon_slider

Post by jon_slider »

> Didn't know it was Macassar ebony

I found out because I asked GEC. Macassar is their in house stock of ebony. Only the second run TC Barlows got Gabon ebony, that was sourced by Charlie

a pic of one of mine in every post:-)
before playing with highlighting the patina

after some creative stropping (My patina comes and goes, I find I can rebuild it easily in a day or two by cutting steak and tomatoes, even after stropping it completely clean)

Haters Hate to COEXIST
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

:roll: I knew better ::dang:: , but for some reason I was thinking Macassar was the darker/blackest version that they used. ::facepalm:: Still, the last few "regular" ebonys (Macassar) I've gotten from GEC have been plenty dark and universally black enough to suit me, to include the aforementioned spear barehead. ::nod::
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

::hmm:: Strange, the link doesn´t work for me and collectorknive.net seems to be down (at least tonight). I will try again tomorrow.
I´d surely love to get that barehead too.... ::hmm::

BTW, thanks everybody here in helping me to find a TC Barlow (or even more than one :lol: ). This is one fine forum here!!! ::tu::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
jon_slider

Post by jon_slider »

Well, let me tell you, the moment I opened the package and first set eyes on the Boys Knife, I said Wow!

Im loving the long bare head rounded ebony scales, smooth bolsters, and spearpoint blade with long pull.

Here are a few shots comparing the Boys Knife and the Barlow. The Boys knife Macassar Ebony is slightly dryer and less shiny, and has a few more pores than the Gabon Ebony Barlow. Neither is streaked with yellow and both are consistently dark, with the Gabon being just slightly blacker.

the Barlow weights 14% more than the Boys Knife, 57 and 50 gms respectively

Haters Hate to COEXIST
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Don´t you make my mouth water Jon! ::woot::
As it seems the Boys knife isn´t exactly my pair of shoes as it looks a lot like german knives you can buy here cheaply for work.
But this ebony TC Barlow...... ::woot:: ::woot:: ::woot::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
jon_slider

Post by jon_slider »

Capt. Farrel wrote:german knives you can buy here cheaply
Please post a picture if you can, I would be curious to see one.

Meanwhile, this is the picture, not mine, that hooked me on the spearpoint ebony

Haters Hate to COEXIST
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Nothing special Jon. It´s the german version of your TL-29, only just civil:

Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I think my "wanna" is revving up again. Check out the Radio Knife.
Attachments
GEC Nov 27, 2013 -- Radio Knife.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

All I know is that I dreamed about a Knifebright Scaled Boy's Knife last night and I was darn excited when I got it in hand!
Looking for the magic penny!
big monk

Post by big monk »

Got these in the mail,yesterday____for some reason,these really jump at me, ::nod:: though I seldom ever""pop-a-top""___ I do use a screwdriver quite often!!! :)____________correction !!!!! ::dang:: _________***OPEN A BOTTLE***__ ::dang:: :mrgreen:

Radio Cap-Lifters*************
Rust Red Bone
Antique Yellow Bone
Ebony Wood
Attachments
Pop-A-Top Trio.JPG
Radio Trio.JPG

MONK****
tendots

Post by tendots »

Monk,I was under the impression that the secundairy blade was meant for opening bottles. ::dang::
Tang stamps hide more than they reveal.
tendots

Post by tendots »

Just Plain Dave wrote:All I know is that I dreamed about a Knifebright Scaled Boy's Knife last night and I was darn excited when I got it in hand!
I was dreaming last night about Madeline Stowe,got real excited.... ::nod::
Tang stamps hide more than they reveal.
DBSS

Post by DBSS »

I wish that that Radio knives came with the long pull...that is my only complaint. Not sure that I would want to tork too hard on the screwdriver though. can't imagine that the pinned pivot can take too much twisting.
jon_slider

Post by jon_slider »

DBSS wrote:I wish that that Radio knives came with the long pull
Since Gec makes up batches of blades for both SFOs and in house offerings, The French nail nicked Clip Blades on the current Charlows with the Days Work etch, match the blade nicks on the Farmboy's Knife and the Radio Knife.

I like long pulls a lot, but I dont think we are going to see any more long pull Clip blades for a while. The Boys Knives and Charlows of March 2013 are the last batch of long pull clips I can think of.

I dont think there will be a Clip blade in the next run of Charlows, along with the Gec short bolster version on the 15 frame. Im guessing there will be a one armed man (razor), and a Spear, both with French nail nick, to preserve the uniqueness of the earlier long pull Spears.

Protecting collector interest is a design factor, one way to do that is to avoid duplicating blade pulls on later runs, when possible. That is why I think the clip blades did not get long pulls this time.
Haters Hate to COEXIST
jon_slider

Post by jon_slider »

fwiw, Charlie just announced the next run of Spear point Charlows will not have long pulls
Haters Hate to COEXIST

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”