GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:42 pm

I posted this in the thread for GEC #48 but received no replies so i am posting the same question here.
A new GEC #48 has just been released as an SFO for KSF, the Northwoods Hawthorne. Northwoods knives are known for having more 'upscale' handles. I have been collecting one of each new Northwoods release choosing either ivory or mammoth.
I was at the KSF website the second these Hawthornes became available and was able to see all or maybe nearly all, of the mammoth handles knives. I did not buy one because all of the mammoth looked rather dull and plain, uninteresting. For the extra $100 i want mammoth that has some color and 'life' to it. Past Northwoods offerings have had more colorful interesting mammoth.
Did anyone else have a look at the mammoth Hawthornes and if so, what do you think of the mammoth ?
kj

jmh58
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby jmh58 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 pm

I am not a mammoth fan but have found sometimes the knife you get looks a lot better in person than in the pics the sites show.. ::shrug:: John :D
..a great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!

Son.. You need to get off the front porch once in a while!!

Not all who wander are lost!!!

Tsar Bomba
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Tsar Bomba » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:39 pm

I wasn't aware of Northwoods #48 releases this time but in the past, I've been disappointed with some of the mammoth on the Northwoods "premium" knives. The Esky Zulu seemed to be totally hit-or-miss; either you'd end up with an outstanding and eye-catching set of mammoth handles or they'd look almost boring. The same variance was observed in the camel bone, but after seeing so many camel bone knives I'm more used to that. Perhaps it's just my lack of experience with mammoth ivory, but I think I'd almost rather go through a knife artisan and arrange to pick out my slabs than take a shot at a 2D photo on KSF's site or other dealers for a premium, high-end (and high-priced) knife like that.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:46 pm

No matter. There all gone.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks for your posts in reply. I do know that sometimes mammoth will look more attractive in person but sometimes dull & boring in pictures is still dull & boring in person.
Is the supply of the more colorful & interesting mammoth drying up ? Or is there one major supplier of mammoth that has the market cornered and has jacked up the price on all but the dull stuff ?
3-4 years ago the mammoth on GEC's and their SFO's was excellent. Why is it now dull ?
kj

Tsar Bomba
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Tsar Bomba » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 pm

gsmith7158 wrote:No matter. There all gone.

That's why I don't even sweat the SFOs or short runs if I find out about them after they go on sale. I normally assume I'll never see one at a dealer and if I want one I'll have to pay the secondary market "bump". ::disgust::

Fortunately I got the two #48 Improved knives I wanted and I'm perfectly happy with the one that already arrived. ::tu::

Drukai

Postby Drukai » Thu May 04, 2017 4:09 am

Anyone have a picture of the SFO trapper GEC did with the jigged cardinal red bone and the Ohio state shape shield? Bummed I missed out on that beauty ::td::
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

Drukai

Postby Drukai » Thu May 04, 2017 4:15 am

This Scagel Fruitport is a nice one from GEC 2010 run love the "oiled bone" whatever that means and the open nail nick...just wish Derrick Bohn didn't give the Scagel name up to Mike Stewart :x or we would probably still be seeing these built.
Attachments
image.jpeg
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby JohnR » Thu May 04, 2017 11:47 am

Couple of Northwoods in Mammoth, I prefer really white ivory and got to pick that on both these knives.
Attachments
IMG_3018.jpg
IMG_5455.jpg
IMG_5457.jpg

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri May 05, 2017 1:45 pm

John, what is the name of the Northwoods ?

Has anyone had a look at the GEC website and seen the new Maher & Grosh # 54 Moose ? Some are handled in "Antique Honey Jig Bone".
The pictures do not make this look very attractive (to me). Maybe it gets a further polishing which will brighten it up ?
kj

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby QTCut5 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:16 pm

JohnR--you scored some sweet mammoth on that Esky Zulu for sure. If the mammoth I got had looked half as good I wouldn't have sold mine two days after buying it. Mine was as dull as mud and on top of that, the blade wasn't properly centered. Huge disappointment considering the price I paid for it. (Believe it or not, this is a rare instance in which the knife actually looks better in the photos than it did in person.)

P6111576.JPG
P6111578.JPG

~Q~
If can...can. If no can...no can!

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby QTCut5 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Drukai wrote:This Scagel Fruitport is a nice one from GEC 2010 run love the "oiled bone" whatever that means and the open nail nick...just wish Derrick Bohn didn't give the Scagel name up to Mike Stewart :x or we would probably still be seeing these built.

Drukai--Couldn't agree more. The Scagel Wharncliffe Fruitport is one of my all-time favorite knives. A truly beautiful work of art...minimalist and graceful. Yours is very nice.

PC240371.JPG
PC240369.JPG

Here's another Scagel that I also like quite a bit:

P9150107.JPG
P9150106.JPG
P9150108.JPG

~Q~
If can...can. If no can...no can!

Drukai

Postby Drukai » Fri May 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Yes they are beauty's still wish I would have bought a clip version when they first came up for sale! That Stag looks great! ::tu::

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby JohnR » Fri May 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks guys. KJ, the knives are the Madison Barlow and the Esky Zulu, wish I would have bough another of the Esky to carry, real nice feel to that knife.

Drukai

Postby Drukai » Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Ok finally found a picture of the #48 Ohio State shield trapper in Cardinal jigged bone
Attachments
image.jpeg

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”