Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Ivoryman

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by Ivoryman »

As luck would have it I have a new to me LB that came a few days ago that I haven't had time to photograph yet. Although it's 5 years old. It's a 2013 #72, just the kind of thing that has been discussed here. Not a good example of a recent run but great example of what I have been saying and will still say. In my limited experience EVERY GEC LB I've ever had, seen, handled, bought and sold or whatever, have all wobbled, This one isn't bad, but very noticeable, probably won't bother me in most cutting, but it's a huge let down because I've had Queens and Cases for much longer than I"ve had GECs. Majority of my Cases and Queens had no wobble and they were not nail breakers. It can easily be done. Hey Moki does it ALL the time, check them out if you want a tight LB. I've had Cases that were many decades old and used and still didn't wobble like ALL my GECs have new out of the tube from current releases even. They wobble. Cost of doing business with that maker. Nothing I can do but live with it because you can't send back new GEC LB in camel bone and swap it for another. Too bad, too late, their all sold out and you take what you get, if you're lucky, and you live with it because you're not getting another. Maybe if you hunt and find one on the secondary market from a gouger looking to double or triple his money, but forget about swapping for another one from dealers, every one I buy sells out lately so you don't get a second chance. Won't happen. Same with this one, it's a 2013 so I must take whatever they give me period. No swapping for another. If I want the GEC LB, I live with whatever wobble it comes with or I'm SOL!
Attachments
WP_20180502_005.jpg
WP_20180502_011.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I-Man, you've got me feeling even more grateful that my first camel bone 43 was rock-solid, smooth, and beautiful (the latter because the dealer put every remaining knife on the site and let customers choose their own handles). My other 43s (frontier bone and jigged green bone) are also "perfect" in my eye as I've come to expect from GEC.

If there isn't an easy exchange for this last one then I'll decide at that time if I want to toss the new one into the safe, tube and all, or contact GEC and see if they'd be able to tighten it up some.

I don't want to be "that guy" if I end up selling it down the road, the one who says "Fresh in tube just as it arrived from the factory!" instead of disclosing any issues a collector might be interested in. Neither do I want to take a bath on a knife I paid full retail for and which had an "undesirability" through no fault of my own.. ::hmm::

Your posts do have me seriously reconsidering the idea of getting a lockback from GEC should they run one in a pattern I like...
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Well hey, I've seen a few others still for sale. You can buy another and sell your flawed one. Just a thought. I accept some wobble on these. I don't like it but I live with it. I still buy LBs that tickle my fancy and as you can see, that hasn't changed or will. I have a few that wobble in other patterns so they are what they are. Some great knives still have a bit of wobble. Oh well.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

GEC Northwoods Esky Zulu.
kj
Attachments
mammoth zulu 003.jpg
mammoth zulu 001.jpg
mammoth zulu 002.jpg
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Gorgeous knife there Roland.

::undecided:: ::mdm:: ::tear:: ::handshake::
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Barry. Of all the Northwoods i think this is one of the best patterns which is a copy of an old Schrade Cut. Co. knife. But it is the very fine mammoth handles that make this Esky one of the best of the 'bunch'.
kj
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Not quite as pretty ivory, but I think the Madison Barlow pattern (based on the 43 frame that was just released, BTW) is a beautiful knife:
IMG_6808.JPG
IMG_6809.JPG
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Madison is Every Bit as beautiful. Barry, somehow you seem to get some of the most attractive handles on your GEC made knives. Do you hand pick them or luck of the draw ?
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Gorgeous knives gentlemen. Haven't had the pleasure of the Madison, but the Esky is one of the best GEC knives available.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Roland and Barry, those are both lovely.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

New Northwoods Freemont stag, with the old blue camel bone in tow.
Attachments
WP_20180609_027.jpg
WP_20180609_032.jpg
WP_20180609_037.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

This new Fremont jack arrived today with some pretty nice Mammoth Ivory handles.
Attachments
005.JPG
006.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Man, you guys got good knives !
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

gsmith7158 wrote:This new Fremont jack arrived today with some pretty nice Mammoth Ivory handles.
Congrats gsmith, beautiful. Love the splotches and lines. Good score. Tell me did you take your time looking and pick one out that was exactly you or just find a good one and jump on it immediately like I did before it was stolen out of my cart?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Iman I immediately went to the second page, scrolled down about halfway and jumped on the first good one I saw and started the checkout process. I was amazed that I got it. I jumped back in to try for a stag but it was not to be. I felt fortunate to get that one. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

gsmith7158 wrote:Iman I immediately went to the second page, scrolled down about halfway and jumped on the first good one I saw and started the checkout process. I was amazed that I got it. I jumped back in to try for a stag but it was not to be. I felt fortunate to get that one. :D
Geeeeeez man, that's my exact strategy. Here I thought it was just me. Skip the first page because I know it's going to get more attention and competition. Or so I thought. Guess there are more second pagers out there than I figured. What was I thinking? Just happy with what I got and you scored too. Congrats.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I tried the 'second page' strategy on a previous NW run (Big Bay ?). At check out my pick was already gone so i went back, now only one page, put another into cart, check out --- Gone. So i went back to try again but every knife, all handle materials, gone.
I think many buyers try this strategy.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

It appears that everyone uses a certain strategy to try to improve their chances at success s that suggests it is just pure luck that the one you select hasn't already been chosen and will remain in your cart to completion. I also set up my PayPal acct with a preferred payment method and the one touch payment option that require no log in. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

In the past i have had the PP 'one touch' payment set up but after a few days it reverted back to the log in system. I will call PP to find how to stay 'one touch', because i think this is the key to scoring a NW. You can loose because someone else is one millionth of a second ahead of you.
kj
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Just got this #56 in today!
Bird Dogs everywhere and this handy little folder too!
IMG_0266.jpg
Love all Jacks
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

singin46 wrote:Just got this #56 in today!
Bird Dogs everywhere and this handy little folder too!
IMG_0266.jpg
Like that pic!
-Tim
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As I live and breath, look who popped up his little pumpkin head. Perry, it's wonderful to "see" you. I for one, have missed you.

As for the knife, I'm sure you're going to enjoy that #56 Bird Dog. They are a very nice size and a very nice knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
singin46

Post by singin46 »

LOL, You're too kind, Jerry, even with the pumpkin head comment! :mrgreen: I've been called worse, Lord knows!
I am enjoying the #56 even though it's only been a few hours. Don't know if I'm gonna carry it or not yet but it sho is purty! ::ds::
I must admit, I'm really looking forward to the Maher and Grosh, at the end of this month too!
Love all Jacks
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Also just got #15 Boys knife with bail and chain. Pic comin soon! Oh, in antique yeller jigbone. Pics tomorrow, I promise!
Love all Jacks
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

GEC knocked it out of the park with these 44 Buffalo Jack's, gorgeous knife that is the perfect size for me.
Attachments
IMG_8849.jpg
IMG_8854.jpg
IMG_8851.jpg
IMG_8847.jpg

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”