Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Postby JohnR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 pm

Great week for TC's.
Attachments
IMG_7334.jpg
IMG_7336.jpg
IMG_7338.jpg
IMG_7339.jpg
IMG_7341.jpg

Tsar Bomba
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Tsar Bomba » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:27 am

Having missed out on the #15 "lolly scramble", my one successful GEC pickup of recent times turned out to be the salt in the wound I wasn't really expecting from GEC -- even though the red bone #38 Special Jack I recently purchased had rough action and ultimately went back to the dealer for a long-overdue credit (still waiting on it so I can go shopping for another #38 to replace it).

I won't have the option with this one, though: The #25 watchpocket Barlow in polished stag. From a distance, it looks plenty nice and I've been wanting a GEC single-blade spearpoint for a while now. Unfortunately the F&F was not very GEC-like (traditionally; I plan on posting a thread a little later about GEC's quality control over the last few years and how I perceive it to have slipped almost to the degree of Parker-era Case or pre-Daniels Queen) and I am fighting an internal battle over whether to return it or just suck it up and keep it. There's virtually no chance I'll find a replacement if I do return this one, so my $120ish credit will basically sit unused for who knows how long.

36407576910_b7c0c13492_b.jpg
36664864761_a78f786d5e_b.jpg
35969716754_768b3616b9_b.jpg

Suffice it to say I was beyond disappointed when I had the knife in hand and found what is basically a very bad "hot spot" on the pile side where the bolster looms over the stag by at least 1/16th of an inch. I really don't know what to do. It's a pretty knife but the pile side fit is going to annoy me to no end, I just know it. ::facepalm::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

RalphAlsip
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby RalphAlsip » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:50 am

Tony, sorry to hear about your recent experience with GEC. It is especially disappointing when it happens with a knife you really want to be nice. The lack of "flushness" where handle meets bolster is pretty noticeable in the picture and if you can see it you can certainly feel it if you fidget with knives when they are in the pocket. Like you said, it is a pretty knife otherwise.

Edit: the Churchill looks like it will be available soon. Maybe one of those would be worth a look if you can't replace the watchpocket barlow.

Tsar Bomba
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Tsar Bomba » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:08 am

RalphAlsip wrote:Tony, sorry to hear about your recent experience with GEC. It is especially disappointing when it happens with a knife you really want to be nice. The lack of "flushness" where handle meets bolster is pretty noticeable in the picture and if you can see it you can certainly feel it if you fidget with knives when they are in the pocket. Like you said, it is a pretty knife otherwise.

Edit: the Churchill looks like it will be available soon. Maybe one of those would be worth a look if you can't replace the watchpocket barlow.

I'm a "sure thing" on the AAPK 2017 knife, for whatever/whenever the details end up being. :mrgreen:

I just seem to have the absolute worst luck with GEC (my favorite active cutlery co.) and Barlows (my favorite pattern/style). It's almost turning into a bit of a cosmic joke. ::paranoid:: ::smirk:: Just one more reason not to pay 2-2.5x markups on the secondary market -- and hoping my dealer gets their spit together on reservations next time Charlie commissions a TC. 8)

Ivoryman

Postby Ivoryman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:01 am

Congrats JohnR, great ones there. Love a TC.
Very sorry to hear that Bomba, that's exactly the kind of stuff I quit buying Queens over. Can't believe GEC let that out of the factory with that terrible transition. And they're gone, so you can't swap for another of the same. Bummer, hope you get it ironed out.
I can relate too. This is my second try for one of these Goldenrod Barlows. Had to send the first one back for zero snap closed and barely any open, weakest GEC spring I've ever had. This one, however, is great both ways, and prettier and no play, great transitions, everything like it should be and then some. Great knife, but sometimes it's hit or miss, could go either way. Some you win, some you lose, and then you return.
Attachments
WP_20170824_093.jpg
WP_20170825_059.jpg
WP_20170824_126.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

DM11

Postby DM11 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:38 am

Sorry to hear you've had another disappointment Tony. Hope you can resolve the issue some how. I sent my SMKW 66 back to GEC to fix a ding in the shield and side to side play in the sheepfoot blade.
David

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jerryd6818 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:59 pm

RalphAlsip wrote:I resisted acquiring one of these 66 calf ropers, but eventually succumbed to the temptation :). The dark vintage looking stag is what pushed me over the edge.

That stag calf roper is a fine, fine looking piece of cutlery. ::tu::

Jerry, I just noticed your new avatar. Love it. That's some mighty pretty country down there. It just shows to go you, you can take the boy out of Southern Illinois but you can't take Southern Illinois out of the boy. Damn shame Chicago is in Illinois. It would be one of the best states in the Union without 'em.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

FarSide

Postby FarSide » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:17 pm

#25 Blood Red Sawcut.JPG

TC 2017 Barlow.JPG

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Hey Alfred E., lovely red bone Un X LD barlow !
What makes it a "Tom's Choice" ? or are all of the Northfield barlows marked "T.C." ?
kj

FarSide

Postby FarSide » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm

kootenay joe wrote:Hey Alfred E., lovely red bone Un X LD barlow !
What makes it a "Tom's Choice" ? or are all of the Northfield barlows marked "T.C." ?
kj

The Northfield Barlows are the #77 pattern and exclusive to Mike Latham with Collector Knives. Bolster marked "NF".
The TC Barlows may really stand for "Tidioute Cutlery"from what I remember reading some old posts. They are always made under the Tidioute trim. Of course the "Tom's Choice" Barlow has sprung up over time. The TC Barlows are on the #15 pattern and exclusive to Mr. Campagna. That's what I know, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ivoryman

Postby Ivoryman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Love the little 25 Barlow with the saw cut and the UN-X-LD on the bolster Farside. Congrats. Sweet sweet knives.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Railsplitter
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Railsplitter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:21 am

These two Northwoods Little Bays arrived a couple days ago. GEC's #25 frame with a nice little Clip blade. I can't keep the Denim Micarta out of my pocket.
Attachments
IMG_3580.JPG
IMG_3582.JPG
Rick T.

Tsar Bomba
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Tsar Bomba » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks to 313Mike, I can continue the #25 Barlow party for a bit. Carried this little number all day today.

36921706412_5c1fe6b8e7_b.jpg

Ivoryman

Postby Ivoryman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:37 am

Beauty Bomba, love a 25, especially with great bones like that.

Brumbydownunder

Postby Brumbydownunder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:42 am

Not actually here yet but on it's way from Florida to Aussie - with Hurricane Irma providing a tail-wind :roll:
21317546_1602724379778812_8253918092669741578_n.jpg

#77 Yankee Jack
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”