Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Vit_213

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by Vit_213 »

I received this a month ago, but photographed only yesterday :oops: .
Attachments
aapk2020 (1).jpg
aapk2020 (2).jpg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

It's a nice looking one, Vit!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: . The mail service to Russia must be good. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: :)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Glad for you Vit. Worth the wait. ::handshake::
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Thank you guys for your comments, and a special thanks to Bryan Sanders, without him I wouldn't have this knife.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Vit_213 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 pm Thank you guys for your comments, and a special thanks to Bryan Sanders, without him I wouldn't have this knife.
Love the 74s and that trim package rocks it. Great bone, sweet shield and etch. I tried but failed on those and most AAPKs, congrats.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

You've heard of the beer shotgun. How about beer drop? The #85 bullet end cap lifter? Or something.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210305_140815.jpg
thumbnail_20210305_140721.jpg
thumbnail_20210305_140921.jpg
GEC Tidioute #852221 Bullet End Cap Lifter canvas micarta
GEC Tidioute #852221 Bullet End Cap Lifter canvas micarta
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hmmm. Learn something new every day. I didn't think you could get Sprecher root beer outside the Milwaukee area (bleeding down into Illinois a little bit).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:25 pm Hmmm. Learn something new every day. I didn't think you could get Sprecher root beer outside the Milwaukee area (bleeding down into Illinois a little bit).
Jerry, it's also available here in TH.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A cap lifter blade was a useful tool until about 30 ? years ago. Since then nearly all bottle caps are twist off.
I think GEC would have made a more useful knife by choosing some other implement for the secondary blade. Maybe a can opener or even better, a liner lock saw blade with a slot screwdriver tip.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:25 pm Hmmm. Learn something new every day. I didn't think you could get Sprecher root beer outside the Milwaukee area (bleeding down into Illinois a little bit).
Interstate trucking is an amazing thing. We get cheese, Harley's, beer, corn, brats, and all kinds of things from Wisconsin. Don't know how much Washington stuff you guys get back there, but might be similar. There is a Root Beer store here that sells hundreds of brands from Canada to Europe, Mexico and about half the states in the union.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "There is a Root Beer store here that sells hundreds of brands from Canada to Europe, Mexico and about half the states in the union."
o.k., but how many are twist off ? 100% ??
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:42 pm A cap lifter blade was a useful tool until about 30 ? years ago. Since then nearly all bottle caps are twist off.
I think GEC would have made a more useful knife by choosing some other implement for the secondary blade. Maybe a can opener or even better, a liner lock saw blade with a slot screwdriver tip.
kj
There are a lot of craft beers and ciders in the U.S. that are not twist offs. You need a cap lifter/ bottle opener to get the bottle opened.
I had 3 this evening.
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

edge213 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:50 am
kootenay joe wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:42 pm A cap lifter blade was a useful tool until about 30 ? years ago. Since then nearly all bottle caps are twist off.
kj
There are a lot of craft beers and ciders in the U.S. that are not twist offs. You need a cap lifter/ bottle opener to get the bottle opened.
I had 3 this evening.
O.K. In Canada even the small craft beer companies use twist off caps. I have not met a 'non=twist off' cap in years. I had assumed it would be the same in USA as it is usually Canada that lags behind in implementing changes.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

[/quote]

I had 3 this evening.
[/quote]

Amen, agreed. Not to mention these Mexico made Coca Colas I love that come in glass bottles made with cane sugar. Also the Mexican Corona beer. And we have elderly family around and a son with Muscular Dystrophy, and both of them can not apply the necessary torque with their fingers required to get a twist off open. They have no problem with a bottle opener though.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:18 am
edge213 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:50 am
kj
I had 3 this evening.
O.K. In Canada even the small craft beer companies use twist off caps. I have not met a 'non=twist off' cap in years. I had assumed it would be the same in USA as it is usually Canada that lags behind in implementing changes.
kj

It's not lagging behind. It's intentionally doing it the old way. Higher quality??
Not the mass produced way of doing things.
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Not the mass produced way of doing things."
Whether twist off or lift off, both are mass produced.
The twist off caps seal properly. Carbonated drinks still have 'full fizz'.
I quit drinking alcohol about 20 years ago so i could be wrong in thinking that all Canadian beer in glass have twist off caps. All non-alcoholic drinks that i buy have twist off.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:47 am Quote: "Not the mass produced way of doing things."
Whether twist off or lift off, both are mass produced.
The twist off caps seal properly. Carbonated drinks still have 'full fizz'.
I quit drinking alcohol about 20 years ago so i could be wrong in thinking that all Canadian beer in glass have twist off caps. All non-alcoholic drinks that i buy have twist off.
kj
I guess "mass produced" were probably the wrong words to say.
I meant most of the smaller breweries are using bottles where a cap lifter is needed (all of my friends who brew use this type also).
Not like the big major breweries like Budweiser, Miller, Coors.
I hope this makes more sense Roland.

It's been 20 years, have a beer! Twist off or pop off........doesn't matter ::tu::
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "It's been 20 years, have a beer! Twist off or pop off........doesn't matter ::tu::"
It is very tempting but i am afraid that within a week or two i would be drinking every day, starting with beer for breakfast. Addiction doesn't go away, it just hides itself somewhere inside waiting for an opportunity to 'drive the bus' again.
kj
handyone

Post by handyone »

Got my dead skunk in the mail Sat. and completed my EDC look on Sun.
dead skunk EDC.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is that a matching ballpoint pen ? Very attractive set !
kj
handyone

Post by handyone »

yes it is. Found the acrylic at the local woodworking supply store so popped it on the lathe and had enough left over for the lanyard bead.
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

cool looking trio dead skunk set, at first I didn't see the lanyard bead ::tu::
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

handyone wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:57 am Got my dead skunk in the mail Sat. and completed my EDC look on Sun.

dead skunk EDC.jpg

Beautiful set, nice lathe work, great photo. Never saw a GEC 85 I didn't like either. Congrats, they're harder and harder to get.
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

One of my recent pickups from the GEC factory store...
Attachments
E2D6BF8D-8529-48B4-83F0-683E645C044F.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”