Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
dweb1897

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by dweb1897 »

My first knife of 2019...A Ben Hogan in Oil Sucker Rod Wood. A commemorative for the 150th Anniversary of the Drake Well in the town of Pit Hole Pa.
GEC #65 BEN HOGAN in OIL SUCKER ROD WOOD (1).JPG
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

dweb1897 wrote:My first knife of 2019...A Ben Hogan in Oil Sucker Rod Wood.
Great looking knife and even better looking Dog. ::tu:: ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

XX Case XX wrote:
dweb1897 wrote:My first knife of 2019...A Ben Hogan in Oil Sucker Rod Wood.
Great looking knife and even better looking Dog. ::tu:: ::nod::

I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My most recently received #35 Churchill is a rare one with tooth handles.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5939.JPG
IMGP5940.JPG
IMGP5946.JPG
IMGP5947.JPG
IMGP5948.JPG
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kj, very nice! ::tu:: ::tu:: The bolsters look to have an extra groove as well.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wow Roland! You struck the mother lode there . Do you know the history on that one?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:My most recently received #35 Churchill is a rare one with tooth handles.
kj

Gorgeous is the only word that comes to mind. Love the tooth handles.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Do you know the history on that one?"
Yes, it began with Cougar Clawed bone and i bought it from Mark (Ssk). It then made a trip to an exclusive Knife Spa in Hamilton, Ohio where it rested until the Plastic Surgeon for Knives performed transformative surgery: new handles, shield & thread the bolsters.
I think the 35 pattern is one of the very best GEC's
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "Do you know the history on that one?"
Yes, it began with Cougar Clawed bone and i bought it from Mark (Ssk). It then made a trip to an exclusive Knife Spa in Hamilton, Ohio where it rested until the Plastic Surgeon for Knives performed transformative surgery: new handles, shield & thread the bolsters.
kj
Haha! Very nice and most creative. You've got a beauty there. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Outstanding Roland
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "Do you know the history on that one?"
kj
Lovely knife; the 35 is easily my favourite GEC pattern. I own both the micarta and ebony handled versions.
Did Kaleb also grind the kick on the secondary (sheepsfoot) blade? It appears to lie much lower in the blade cavity than do the corresponding blades on either of my 35s. My one gripe with the 35 pattern is that it’s a bit uncomfortable to grasp when using the main blade because of the protruding spine of the secondary blade.
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just looked at the sheepsfoot. He did file off a small amount near tip of the kick. Blade now lies lower but nick is fully exposed and easy to access. If you try this, it takes very little filing to achieve the desired lowering.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My two Northwoods came today. Madison Barlow in Appaloosa bone and a Fayette jack in black Micarta. I like this Fayette jack a lot. The Madison Barlow is great but they needed to polish the bolsters better. There are definite signs that it missed the final polish on the front side.
Surprisingly the run up on both knives is fairly tight. Not as tight as Moki or Al Mar but still very good. Best run up on a USA made production knife I have owned.
I feel lucky to have gotten these, what a scramble that was.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5174.jpeg
IMG_5175.jpeg
IMG_5176.jpeg
IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5179.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Very Nice you did good ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, your Madison Barlow looks sharp ! 8) I have seen mammoth and giraffe that look similar to this apaloosa.
I agree the Fayette is one of the best for in hand feel.
I think the term "run up" refers to the portion of tang that runs up to meet the blade spine to make the corner that sticks up when blade is closed.
I think you are referring to the meeting of spring with blade spine and for this i have never heard any specific name for this.
Maybe a knife mechanic might know the correct name ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Mark, your Madison Barlow looks sharp ! 8) I have seen mammoth and giraffe that look similar to this apaloosa.
I agree the Fayette is one of the best for in hand feel.
I think the term "run up" refers to the portion of tang that runs up to meet the blade spine to make the corner that sticks up when blade is closed.
I think you are referring to the meeting of spring with blade spine and for this i have never heard any specific name for this.
Maybe a knife mechanic might know the correct name ?
kj

Another member told me it was called that. But I don’t know. It seems there is no rock solid term for that, which is odd. I guess we can make our own name or acronym for it. They way I have trouble finding the right words lately I guess I will start with “ouoyktt”. Which stands for “oh,uhm,oh,you,know,that,thing”.
I’m not married to that, so I will entertain suggestions.
Mark
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

A couple of great pickups Mark! I think anybody that was able to get anything out of that madness of a drop should feel very lucky. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

gsmith7158 wrote:A couple of great pickups Mark! I think anybody that was able to get anything out of that madness of a drop should feel very lucky. ::tu::

Thanks Greg. It was an interesting experience. I found it very frustrating. I gave up shopping in stores at Christmas time for the same reason, I find it frustrating. I am pleased with the knives. The Fayette jack surprised me. I love that knife and here I thought I was settling.
Mark
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I recently got this #81 Moose in amber bone, my first GEC knife. I guess a lot of people today do not care for the Moose pattern, but I have a few and like them mostly because of the large size and blade arrangement.
IMG_2642.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Nice looking knife OC. ::tu::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I bought a lot of 75 knives a couple of months ago off Ebay. The average cost came out to be 3.67 per knife. It was packed in 4 bags and I had only opened one bag. The first bag had some pretty decent knives. I decided to wait to unveil the others, at a later time. Tonight I got to worrying if any celluloid knives were in the bags (none were). I opened the remainder. There were a lot of Buck, Schrade, Parker Japan with nice bone, Winchester, Remington, a nice K-Bar USA. Many newer China made...many USA; but, all were in great shape; a couple of knives missing shields. One of the best lots of knives I've picked up. The guy that had this collection had a pretty good eye for decent knives. Most were not high dollar knives; although, many are $15-$20 knives. A nice Military issue Camillus. But...this one shocked me to find!
Great Eastern Cutlery Tidioute 818213.
IMG_1153.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Good score on that Coon Skinner. ::tu::
Attachments
818213-ebony1.jpg
David
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just got my Pemberton w/ the smooth white bone from Traditional Pocketknives. I like white bone knives almost as much as green knives. This one is really nice looking.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5194.jpeg
IMG_5195.jpeg
IMG_5196.jpeg
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Very nice looking knife Mark. ::tu:: Was tempted by that one but havent given in yet.
David
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

DM11 wrote:Very nice looking knife Mark. ::tu:: Was tempted by that one but havent given in yet.

It’s really a very nice knife. Fit and finish are great, the pull is just what you expect on a GEC knife.
The stags are hitting the dealers right now. Had an email tonight and they sold 20 in no time. CK informs me that tomorrow they will be sending out emails for people that reserved to choose their knife. Then they will have another batch coming on Tuesday. So keep an eye open if interested.
Thanks,
Mark

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”