Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by kootenay joe »

The proof is in the picture. There is no way ambient light could make these muddy off white handles look bright yellow.
I have not ID'd the seller because i don't have any desire to affect his business. And he right away said, "sure send it back and i will refund you".
Computer editing of knife pictures to enhance the looks is not limited to this seller. I have encountered it with a custom knife as well, but never as 'extreme' as this #56 Apaloosa bone.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here are my latest GEC purchases. It looks like they have cured their problems with lockback blade wobble. Both of these are rock solid. I do believe the walnut will go in the pocket. ::super_happy::
Attachments
001.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

gsmith7158 wrote:Here are my latest GEC purchases. It looks like they have cured their problems with lockback blade wobble. Both of these are rock solid. I do believe the walnut will go in the pocket. ::super_happy::
Greg, Those look quite handsome indeed! Isn't the wood one chestnut though? Looks great either way.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

313 Mike wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Here are my latest GEC purchases. It looks like they have cured their problems with lockback blade wobble. Both of these are rock solid. I do believe the walnut will go in the pocket. ::super_happy::
Greg, Those look quite handsome indeed! Isn't the wood one chestnut though? Looks great either way.
Whoops! My bad . You are correct Mike. It is American Chestnut. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice ones Greg. You must knoow how to be at the right place at the right time.
It is getting very hard to score a new GEC. Even the Reserve lists get full within an hour or so ? of being opened. Actually i don't know how long it takes for reservations to be all taken because so far every list i have seen says "Full". But it is good for the bank account !
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Nice ones Greg. You must knoow how to be at the right place at the right time.
It is getting very hard to score a new GEC. Even the Reserve lists get full within an hour or so ? of being opened. Actually i don't know how long it takes for reservations to be all taken because so far every list i have seen says "Full". But it is good for the bank account !
kj
Thanks Roland! It is definitely getting more difficult to get them. When you get an email that some have arrived you must go immediately to the site to order. Even then it's a crap shoot as to whether you will score or not. :(
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think my computer checks for new emails every 30 minutes so an email could arrive at my inbox that had spent the last 29 minutes on the server. Then even responding as soon as it arrives in my inbox would be too late to get a knife.
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

My first 66 addition to my stockman accumulation.
Actually it's my first multi blade GEC. Couple of minor cosmetic issues but it is already in my pocket and not going to be a tube queen.

Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rotten, very good looking stag on your Calf Roper stockman, certainly much more attractive than the usual GEC stag.
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

KJ, thanks. I was actually surprised to find any of the Calf Roper stag still available and really glad to find a nice one.

Looking over the Dixie selection the other day I was kinda surprised that more of the IMO plainer ones sold pretty quickly. I definitely like the more gnarly or deeply grooved. I'm anxious for my Dixie to arrive, I think it was passed over because of the sellers pictures.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It looks great in the pics you posted which must be the seller's pictures. Sometimes a good knife gets overlooked but usually not for over a year or 2.
Is it a 2017 knife ?
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

kootenay joe wrote:It looks great in the pics you posted which must be the seller's pictures. Sometimes a good knife gets overlooked but usually not for over a year or 2.
Is it a 2017 knife ?
kj
The seller pics of my Calf Roper were pretty accurate. The issues are that the liners actually sit ever so slightly proud of the stag almost along the whole length of both sides both top and bottom, and one of the bolsters has a very small area that looks like it rolled over onto the sanding belt when they were cleaning up the backsprings. Like I said though it is definitely going to be edc'd so no big deal.

The Dixie I ordered is the one where the sellers pictures were to my advantage, I'm anxious to get it and see if I was right.
Trace
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Here are the latest two GEC’s the bone and the stag Dixie Stockmans. Just got the stag one today and got the bone early in the week. Beautiful.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4980.jpeg
IMG_4981.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Looks good Mark! A great snag on the stag. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

gsmith7158 wrote:Looks good Mark! A great snag on the stag. ::tu::
Greg, I got lucky. I actually took the first one on the list w/out realizing until later that I could have picked any of those. That is the first time I have done this so live and learn. I am pleased w/ it.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think GEC should put a shield on the stag knives. As nice as this Dixie Stag is, it would look more 'complete' with a shield. Maybe some here prefer the no shield ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:I think GEC should put a shield on the stag knives. As nice as this Dixie Stag is, it would look more 'complete' with a shield. Maybe some here prefer the no shield ?
kj
KJ, I completely agree. After you see those two side by side, you can really sense that the stag just isn’t complete. I can see why they didn’t, that stag is kinda thick in spots and gnarly. At the top pin there is a piece of stag that sits out and the pin is right through it, it looks off cosmetically because they drilled through that protrusion and exposed the white inner core at that spot, it looks a bit off. If the did that same thing w/ a shield you could end up w/ a lot of white stage showing around a pin.
SSk
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I believe the stag needs to be selected for the front side with placement of shield in mind. Sorting through stag to find a piece that would easily 'take' a shield would be time consuming and therefore add to the cost.
kj
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

85 EO Blackwood. Newest GEC pickup!
Attachments
image.jpeg
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Nice 85.

Its hard to win for GEC with stag. I also prefer shields. But for many years they didn't put shields in their (their opinion) best stag anyway. I have several of the "genuine stag" knives where a hat pin shield was subbed for the shield. The explanation was they didn't want to interrupt the stag. I tend to see their point. The inletting in deeply grooved or popcorn stag can look haphazard often. And then people are upset and complain they can't do their jobs or send the knife in for a repair that isn't fixable without scrapping a sambar slab. And if they chose a boring flat piece of stag for the mark side so the shield coulb be easily and consistently fitted and a more gregarious slab on the pile side ala old time German knives, folks would complain about mismatched handles and lackluster textures. So they made the decision that on their products for regular sale, no shield (or hat pin( i like the hat pin)).
Sfo orders still can be shielded. Northwoods for example. I have some gorgeous stag handled knives from them the shield my not be perfectly flattened to the highest degree on them, I feel its to be expected in a factory knife. But I see people complain about it from time to time.
I am going to try and find a pic of a couple 2010 dogleg jacks. One in burnt stag the other in genuine stag and a 55 for good neasure.
20171214_144339_HDR_Film2-1.jpg
No comparison in the quality of handles, and it would of been sinful to have cut a shield in on the genuine stag imnsho.
In order to have a foot in both camps however, I would be unfair not to include this pic of some 48s. The Northwoods is so flawlessly executed. The 2 single blade 48s would have taken a shield nicely as well, I don't think the older genuine stag Western Trapper would have looked better with a stag. Kind of like kj said tho, needs the right slab to pin a shield on.
Attachments
20171214_151220_HDR_Film2-1.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rob, i think the GEC stag deserves it's own thread. I have some to show & chat about but that would not be in the focus of this thread.
The idea of 'matching stag' does not appear until recently, like last 20 years. Old time Sheffield & Solingen cutlers did not try to match stag according to Bernard Levine.
GEC could choose stag for the front based on ease of in-letting a shield and back side piece for attractiveness; i.e. they would not match because stag handles were never intended to 'match' which is a new idea spread by the 'fussies' nearly all of whom are more recently arrived collectors.
Go 'old' or 'traditional': stag with shield, no attempt to match sides.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The # 81 pattern, a Moose, has not sold well. Came out in 2017 and most GEC dealers have quite a few with various handles including stag. It is a surprise to be not popular. Before GEC came along a moose pattern by Case or another USA maker was wanted by most collectors of traditional style folding knives. My bet is that when all of the 2017 Moose/Muskrat patterns have sold, many collectors are going to wish they had bought one, or more, when they could have.
So therefore, not wanting to be left out i bought a 811217 with "Antique Amber Jigged bone" handles, Northfield version. It's a good knife and the 'pull' is easy, which is good. These springs have all the strength you need, not more and then hard to open. I used to want stiffly sprung knives but then some i would not carry because the blades were not fun to struggle with. Now i understand that for every knife there is an optimal range for spring tension.
I see this 81 Moose as having spring tension in the optimal range.
I do have a question: what is "C K C" for ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP5801.JPG
IMGP5802.JPG
IMGP5803.JPG
IMGP5804.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:The # 81 pattern, a Moose, has not sold well. Came out in 2017 and most GEC dealers have quite a few with various handles including stag. It is a surprise to be not popular. Before GEC came along a moose pattern by Case or another USA maker was wanted by most collectors of traditional style folding knives. My bet is that when all of the 2017 Moose/Muskrat patterns have sold, many collectors are going to wish they had bought one, or more, when they could have.
So therefore, not wanting to be left out i bought a 811217 with "Antique Amber Jigged bone" handles, Northfield version. It's a good knife and the 'pull' is easy, which is good. These springs have all the strength you need, not more and then hard to open. I used to want stiffly sprung knives but then some i would not carry because the blades were not fun to struggle with. Now i understand that for every knife there is an optimal range for spring tension.
I see this 81 Moose as having spring tension in the optimal range.
I do have a question: what is "C K C" for ?
kj

KJ, Nice knife. If you bought that through CK I would hazard guess that it’s CK Cutlery, if not, then I have no idea. I haven’t seen that on any knives.
That Amber Jigged bone is beautiful.
You are pushing me a little closer to buying one of these. Just mention rare or hard to get and that gets me on it.
SSk
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

GEC Tidioute #48 Smooth Ivory Bone. I got one just like this back when they first came out but ended up selling it when it started to corrode (I wasn't accustomed to the requirements of maintaining 1095 steel in a humid, salty, tropical climate). It still turned a small profit, although unintentionally, as I was only interested in getting some of my money back so it wouldn't be a total loss. I have a rule that once I sell a particular knife for whatever reason, I never purchase another one just like it...a rule I've only broken a handful of times, this being one of them. I'm glad I did, and now that I know how to properly take care of it (for long-term storage and occasional viewing & light handling), I believe it will be a part of my permanent collection. It's one of only two GEC knives I own. I used to have a lot of GEC and Northwoods, but sold them all, both because I needed the money and because I was unable to keep up on the maintenance they require.

GEC calls it an "Improved Trapper" and you can call it what you will, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a "Large Mini Trapper"(because I now collect Mini Trappers exclusively).
PC240001.JPG
PC240006.JPG
PC240005.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Some of the 81's have excellent black ebony, not the less dense lighter colored ebony. And traditionally this pattern often had ebony handles. Of all the natural material used for knife handles, ebony i believe is the toughest. It rarely even cracks.
Get a Northfield ebony #81 and if you don't like it, sell it to me for same price.
I'm thinking of getting an ebony one anyway because i doubt you will want to part with it. If you are often outdoors it is a good one to carry.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”