Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by kootenay joe »

I picked up the #56 with Appaloosa Bone yesterday. You gent's were quite right. The warm golden yellow color of the handles in the ebay pictures is a result of computer editing. It is still a nice knife but not the exceptional one i thought i was bidding for. I paid $122 which i think is just a little over original price ? Not sure if i should keep it or return it.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5609.JPG
IMGP5610.JPG
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I like it. But its not what you thought you were going to receive. You could try contacting the seller and explain your problem. Some sellers are quite reasonable. I think the single blades were ~$90 when released.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

How do you know the seller computer edited the photo KJ? I take pictures all the time that turn out dark, light and washed out, or yellow, or pinkish. I can't explain why. Same light even, one photo to the next. I doubt your seller is that sophisticated, probably took quick phone pics and who knows what lighting? Hey it's a beautiful appaloosa knife, come on, now why would he artificially color it? That's a beauty and it was probably his lighting and not deliberate color change. That's exactly what it looked like when I was watching it. Looks even better in your pics.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ivoryman wrote:How do you know the seller computer edited the photo KJ? I take pictures all the time that turn out dark, light and washed out, or yellow, or pinkish. I can't explain why. Same light even, one photo to the next. I doubt your seller is that sophisticated, probably took quick phone pics and who knows what lighting? Hey it's a beautiful appaloosa knife, come on, now why would he artificially color it? That's a beauty and it was probably his lighting and not deliberate color change. That's exactly what it looked like when I was watching it. Looks even better in your pics.
I agree regular incandescent light gives me those yellow results and I have to edit it out.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have contacted seller & he is fine with taking it back. The difference between his pictures and this knife is not from ambient light. The difference is too much. He posted another 56 in Appaloosa bone and it too is a lovely yellow but not as bright as the pics of mine. He toned it down a little so as to not be so obvious. His other knives show 'normal' color, but have the same background so were taken with the same set up. He must have bought a few 56's with these handles and is trying to make his more attractive than others some still for sale at dealers.
It is easy to alter the color with the right computer picture editing program. I tried with my computer but cannot get the same depth of yellow. I have never tried this before so suspect it could be done if i was familiar with this editing.
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

kootenay joe wrote:I have contacted seller & he is fine with taking it back. The difference between his pictures and this knife is not from ambient light. The difference is too much. He posted another 56 in Appaloosa bone and it too is a lovely yellow but not as bright as the pics of mine. He toned it down a little so as to not be so obvious. His other knives show 'normal' color, but have the same background so were taken with the same set up. He must have bought a few 56's with these handles and is trying to make his more attractive than others some still for sale at dealers.
It is easy to alter the color with the right computer picture editing program. I tried with my computer but cannot get the same depth of yellow. I have never tried this before so suspect it could be done if i was familiar with this editing.
kj
I did a quick paint job on your background and turned the temp up....look familiar?
44.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It looks a bit more like the seller's pics but still not the same bright yellow.
What i need to decide is: keep it or return it ?
Or, sell it to someone here who likes how it looks in my pictures and then sends me a reasonable offer. I don't get upset over loosing a few $$. I'm used to it !
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I picked up a 2010 AAPK today with excellent bolster to cap stag.
Pics weren't too good but I am very optimistic. Will post some pics when I eventually get it in hand.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What pattern is it ? and made by ? GEC ??
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Looks like a 48 trapper.
Attachments
1490368280_67_12_1-600x500.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, beauty ! Thanks Greg. If Rob's inbound knife has Stag like the one just posted then it will be a keeper for sure.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

kootenay joe wrote:I have contacted seller & he is fine with taking it back. The difference between his pictures and this knife is not from ambient light. The difference is too much. He posted another 56 in Appaloosa bone and it too is a lovely yellow but not as bright as the pics of mine. He toned it down a little so as to not be so obvious. His other knives show 'normal' color, but have the same background so were taken with the same set up. He must have bought a few 56's with these handles and is trying to make his more attractive than others some still for sale at dealers.
kj
Have any proof he's toning the color down to not be obvious and altering it, or just your opinion? Pics come out yellow all the time and not because of altered color editing and toning it down. Is this some facts or talk?
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Yes it is the stag 48. I don't take good photos myself but stag can be difficult to capture all the texture. I likely take 4 or 5 to get 1 decent enough to show.
eta with all this talk about photo editing I cranked up the brightness on my phone she has great gnarly stag.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Pics come out yellow all the time and not because of altered color editing and toning it down. Is this some facts or talk?"

His pictures are not yellow. Only the knife handle is yellow. And it is an intense yellow in his pictures not a yellow hue from lighting. Look at the seller's picture posted earlier and then look at my pictures which show the knife accurately.
The seller does not dispute my statement that pictures were "enhanced". It is too obvious to deny. And he says send for refund. I have no hard feelings what so ever. In fact i have to take some responsibility because my first thought on seeing the listing was 'this is not real' referring to the lovely yellow that looks like a bone dye used before as in my 77 Washington Jack. But i had never seen it in Apaloosa so was suspicious but bid anyway. Auction was ending in a few hours so i did not send a message with a question about the color.
It's not a big deal.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "Pics come out yellow all the time and not because of altered color editing and toning it down. Is this some facts or talk?"

His pictures are not yellow. Only the knife handle is yellow. And it is an intense yellow in his pictures not a yellow hue from lighting. Look at the seller's picture posted earlier and then look at my pictures which show the knife accurately.
The seller does not dispute my statement that pictures were "enhanced". It is too obvious to deny. And he says send for refund. I have no hard feelings what so ever. In fact i have to take some responsibility because my first thought on seeing the listing was 'this is not real' referring to the lovely yellow that looks like a bone dye used before as in my 77 Washington Jack. But i had never seen it in Apaloosa so was suspicious but bid anyway. Auction was ending in a few hours so i did not send a message with a question about the color.
It's not a big deal.
kj
I've looked at it many times. I'm unconvinced. You are accusing him of falsifying photos when you have zero evidence, no proof and only your accusation. Other photos do not prove yours was edited and you don't know how he took them. If you have evidence of deliberately altering color that's one thing. If you don't that's a false accusation of your own. That's not accurate and not factual, it's a false claim of your own that he's manipulateing the photos, which is no better than what you're accusing him of without proof. Maybe you should make sure he's editing before you accuse him of such.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The proof is in the picture. There is no way ambient light could make these muddy off white handles look bright yellow.
I have not ID'd the seller because i don't have any desire to affect his business. And he right away said, "sure send it back and i will refund you".
Computer editing of knife pictures to enhance the looks is not limited to this seller. I have encountered it with a custom knife as well, but never as 'extreme' as this #56 Apaloosa bone.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here are my latest GEC purchases. It looks like they have cured their problems with lockback blade wobble. Both of these are rock solid. I do believe the walnut will go in the pocket. ::super_happy::
Attachments
001.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

gsmith7158 wrote:Here are my latest GEC purchases. It looks like they have cured their problems with lockback blade wobble. Both of these are rock solid. I do believe the walnut will go in the pocket. ::super_happy::
Greg, Those look quite handsome indeed! Isn't the wood one chestnut though? Looks great either way.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

313 Mike wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Here are my latest GEC purchases. It looks like they have cured their problems with lockback blade wobble. Both of these are rock solid. I do believe the walnut will go in the pocket. ::super_happy::
Greg, Those look quite handsome indeed! Isn't the wood one chestnut though? Looks great either way.
Whoops! My bad . You are correct Mike. It is American Chestnut. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice ones Greg. You must knoow how to be at the right place at the right time.
It is getting very hard to score a new GEC. Even the Reserve lists get full within an hour or so ? of being opened. Actually i don't know how long it takes for reservations to be all taken because so far every list i have seen says "Full". But it is good for the bank account !
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Nice ones Greg. You must knoow how to be at the right place at the right time.
It is getting very hard to score a new GEC. Even the Reserve lists get full within an hour or so ? of being opened. Actually i don't know how long it takes for reservations to be all taken because so far every list i have seen says "Full". But it is good for the bank account !
kj
Thanks Roland! It is definitely getting more difficult to get them. When you get an email that some have arrived you must go immediately to the site to order. Even then it's a crap shoot as to whether you will score or not. :(
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think my computer checks for new emails every 30 minutes so an email could arrive at my inbox that had spent the last 29 minutes on the server. Then even responding as soon as it arrives in my inbox would be too late to get a knife.
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

My first 66 addition to my stockman accumulation.
Actually it's my first multi blade GEC. Couple of minor cosmetic issues but it is already in my pocket and not going to be a tube queen.

Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rotten, very good looking stag on your Calf Roper stockman, certainly much more attractive than the usual GEC stag.
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

KJ, thanks. I was actually surprised to find any of the Calf Roper stag still available and really glad to find a nice one.

Looking over the Dixie selection the other day I was kinda surprised that more of the IMO plainer ones sold pretty quickly. I definitely like the more gnarly or deeply grooved. I'm anxious for my Dixie to arrive, I think it was passed over because of the sellers pictures.
Trace

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”