Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Ivoryman

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by Ivoryman »

Nailed it doglegg, it has patches that are like a window down in, appears to be clear bone, inside you can see textures and colors galore, like I've never seen. The backside looks like Coca-Cola bubbles, appears rough, but is smooth. Depth like I've never seen or had in a bone before.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
J1890

Post by J1890 »

43 in cocobolo just arrived and it’s a beauty. It’s got a great forced patina.
Now this is my first 43 and it has a light pull. Anyone else experience that? While open it takes little pressure to close.
7A77A187-5DDD-48D8-B303-68C0C2A29ADB.jpeg
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

This is a first for me to the world of GEC from a very knowledgeable contributor to these threads cause of the penny that was included ::tu:: Antique yellow bone 1095 blade,MAN are these well made.
Attachments
IMG_0652.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
J1890

Post by J1890 »

garddogg56 wrote:This is a first for me to the world of GEC from a very knowledgeable contributor to these threads cause of the penny that was included ::tu:: Antique yellow bone 1095 blade,MAN are these well made.
Gdogg, that is sweet! Nice pick up. You really can’t go wrong with GEC.
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

J1890 wrote:43 in cocobolo just arrived and it’s a beauty. It’s got a great forced patina.
Now this is my first 43 and it has a light pull. Anyone else experience that? While open it takes little pressure to close.
7A77A187-5DDD-48D8-B303-68C0C2A29ADB.jpeg
The 43 I have has a nice pull. Its not a nail breaker but far from what I would call light.
David
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

This knife hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking for some info...I can't find it in the GEC/Bulldogs lists...it was advertised as a proto but it has no markings to that effect, in fact it is has the S# 02 on it..I believe it is a 73 square end trapper.
GEC-BULLDOG LINERLOCK SINGLE BLADE.jpg
GEC-BULLDOG LINERLOCK SINGLE BLADE (2).jpg
GEC-BULLDOG LINERLOCK SINGLE BLADE (3).jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Beautiful knife with abalone handles ! But i have never heard this term before: "I believe it is a 73 square end trapper."
"Square end ", are you referring to the flush & square joint ? or ??
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

kootenay joe wrote:Beautiful knife with abalone handles ! But i have never heard this term before: "I believe it is a 73 square end trapper."
"Square end ", are you referring to the flush & square joint ? or ??
kj
kj, it's just a GEC term as far as I know
SQUARE END.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow ! I had not seen this GEC page before.
By "Square end" are they referring to "square bolsters", which LG4 defines as bolsters with flat rather than rounded surfaces ? I think this is in reference to the top edge of the bolster being flat rather than rounded, but not the sides of the bolster being flat. If so then the 73 does have square bolsters.
Or is "Square End" in reference to the joint which already has 2 names in use: "Flush & Square" or "Square & Clean".
"Square End" is not a knife term i have seen used before. I think this is another example of knife company's marketing people created their own term rather than use the existing term or word. Nothing new about this and it is in part why knife terminology has a fair bit of ambiguity.
To me the 73 (& 23) have a flush & square joint and a square bolster. I suppose when you put those 2 together you do have a "Square End".
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

kj...I think what they are doing is just giving different names to models that are built on the same frame. The # 73 is the Scout Square End Trapper and the #74 is the Saddle Trapper...when you compare the two, the front bolster on the #73 is more square than on the #74...without that visual difference, collectors would be hard pressed to tell which was which unless they knew all the different blade configurations each had used over the years.
this is from an article by Gary Zinn
2014: 15 factory patterns used to make 236 knife models; 18,500 pieces total.
2015: 11 factory patterns used to make 168 knife models; 18,700 pieces total.
2016 (through 9/30/16): 12 factory patterns used to make 136 knife models.
here is a link to the article https://www.chuckhawks.com/gec_2014-16_update.html
this link takes you to the one he wrote a year before https://www.chuckhawks.com/great_eastern_cutlery.html
and a link to home page that the above photo came from. http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

dweb, thanks for explaining this. I had not heard of Gary Zinn or his articles. The 2014 numbers of 15 frame patterns making 236 knife models shows how complex GEC has become. So in 2014 GEC needed many names so as to identify each model. This makes their use of a new term like "Square End" seem most reasonable as it is a good description of a knife with both square bolsters and flush & square joint.
In the article by Gary Zinn he explains "knife model" (e.g. the 236 made in 2014):
"Starting with a given factory pattern, i.e., the size and shape of the knife frame, changing the blade steel, pattern of blades, or number of blades will result in different specific knife models. In addition, differences in handle materials used or a change in the size or shape of bolsters changes the knife model."
So a big part of this high number of "models" is that every handle option makes for another 'knife model'.
Although i follow GEC i had not realized just how much variety they offer, i.e. an average of 15 models per frame pattern in 2014.
Am i the only one who is surprised or even shocked by the number of 'knife models' ? The dedicated GEC collectors must already know this.
kj
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

I posted this on the general forum but wanted to share it here also. I got this late yesterday afternoon and took a quick picture. I like how the handle looks totally different in different light. Out of direct light it's more of a maroon purple color. Here it shows up more red. A GEC 78 Elderberry jig bone.
IMG_20180804_192941.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20180804_192835929.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I like the darker look better. #78 is such a classic old USA pattern that it's official name is "Regular Jack", but called "American Jack" by GEC. I recently got a 782217 in very black Gabon Ebony.
Did you ever compare a #78 American Jack with a #77 "Yankee Jack" ? Same knife except for shape of front bolster (rounded in 78).
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Went to Northport P.O. yesterday and picked up a truly beautiful 281111 that languished on ebay for at least 2 weeks until i made an offer that likely was less than original price.
Although this pattern is likely seen as 'not correct' for our times now, it actually works well: feels comfortable in my hand and the boot is a bottle opener so is stoutly built for a pen knife. Because of it's smaller size, 3 1/4", i'm calling it a pen knife, but could also be called a jack. Either way "Ladies Leg" is the officially accepted name.
The handles are "Pink Awabi" which i think is a type of Abalone shell. Although it looks like bright acrylic you might see as a Barbie accessory, they are natural and this is why i bought this knife. (no, i do not collect Barbies)
I already had a 281112 with elephant ivory and the two make an attractive pair: Mr. Ivory with Princess Awabi.
kj
Attachments
IMGP4767.JPG
IMGP4772.JPG
IMGP4773.JPG
IMGP4774.JPG
IMGP4776.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Very nice Roland! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

kootenay joe wrote:I like the darker look better. #78 is such a classic old USA pattern that it's official name is "Regular Jack", but called "American Jack" by GEC. I recently got a 782217 in very black Gabon Ebony.
Did you ever compare a #78 American Jack with a #77 "Yankee Jack" ? Same knife except for shape of front bolster (rounded in 78).
kj
I like the darker look also. No I never compared them. The gobon ebony was the other choice I was considering in the 78. But I'm happy with the looks of this one. If I could find one fault it would be the pen blade rides a little high making it a little difficult to get to the nail nick of the main blade.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

That really is one of the nicer legs I've seen. They need flamboyant handles. I now regret not picking any up. Yet. Perhaps. I seem to recall that particular shell is from an exotic locale like Tahiti or one particular region off Australia or New Zealand. Beautiful shell makes me wonder why we see so little of it these days. I have quite a bit of AAA+ mop from Queen's factory from the early '90s through til ~2010 but now what little there is has acrylic covers and is not common. Dangersss in working, cost, reliable supply?

In reference to the regular jacks there are a few additional differences. Out at the lake, but from memory the 78s are a bit thicker blade stock, and they originally were much stouter at the pull than the 77s. The recent run of 78s are much more nail friendly than the original run. Also the 78 is "rounder" all around while the 77 is more "angular". Small differences, but they feel different in hand. One of my carry knives is a 77 jack in cocobolo, it is one of the finest jacks from GEC. I have a 78 in ebony which is every bit as good. May be some proper 2 blades left at dealers, if I did not already own I would be hunting one down before they disappear.

I finally purchased a 47 harvester in ebony. I now have the jigged, stag, stag and ebony. Be a while before I retrieve it for a group shot. The relative affordability of the pruner 47 versus the Wharncliffe 47 baffles me. I regularly carry a pruner and for every day cutting tasks in my life, nothing is better.
And the Nortfields exhibit class like classic Sheffield returning.
AirBrush_20180805142439.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Doug: "the pen blade rides a little high making it a little difficult to get to the nail nick of the main blade."
Try inserting your thumbnail from the top, not the side. As last resort gently file point of kick on pen blade. Check every 2-3 strokes because it takes very little to drop tip a lot.
kj
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Roland,
That is a super pair. I always knew I was a leg guy!:)
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Larry. The 28 is definitely under appreciated, in part i think due to fear of 'Political Correctness'. With the right handles it is attractive and the pattern actually works well, in hand and with cutting. I hope to pick up a few more, :wink:
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's a big equal end #53 Muskrat I picked last week. These are pretty impressive knives on this frame. It's similar to a Case 94 frame.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Great bones gsmith. Love that kind of color.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ivoryman wrote:Great bones gsmith. Love that kind of color.
Thanks Iman! Boy I really like this frame size. I believe I shall be on the hunt for more 53's and 54's. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

kj, love that ivory French Kate. I took some brass cup hooks, did a little bending and filing and now they stand up like they should
GEC FRENCH KATES.jpg
french kates.jpg
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

dweb1897 wrote: I took some brass cup hooks, did a little bending and filing and now they stand up like they should
That's kinda neat . . . 8)
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”