Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
dweb1897

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by dweb1897 »

Quick Steel wrote:If it had arrived in my mail box I'd give the delivery person a big tip. She's a beauty. How is the build quality?
One thing I noticed right away on both my Abalone GEC / Bulldogs is that they used the real Abalone, not the looking glass but maybe GEC wasn't using the looking glass back in 2009-10. I was darn lucky with this one...the back springs, bolsters and the top of the blades were just starting to show some rust. It took me several hours to clean it up for pictures and still have some work to do. Fortunatley the bolster with the S# was okay. The seller didn't disclose the problems with the knife but I got it at a good price. As hard as these GEC / Bulldogs are to find I'm happy to have it. The build quality is excellent...half stops on all 4 blades, perfect fit on the shield and bolsters, no rub on the blades and good pull. I'm not a big fan of the nail nicks but that's Bulldog's style. My only criticism is the back springs aren't quite flush with the blades in the open position.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very interesting. Thank you for the analysis. Surprised GEC flubbed a flush fit, but otherwise it seems very fine. And I have yet to find a GEC/Bulldog in any condition let alone one in such excellent condition. Patience is not one of my strongest virtues. :)
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Quick Steel wrote:Very interesting. Thank you for the analysis. Surprised GEC flubbed a flush fit, but otherwise it seems very fine. And I have yet to find a GEC/Bulldog in any condition let alone one in such excellent condition. Patience is not one of my strongest virtues. :)
There is one on ebay right now item 323408513481
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Many thanks dweb. I checked it out. I'm passing on this one for a bunch of reasons. I consider it seriously overpriced given its' condition. I have always been particularly fussy about the hafting of a knife, I want to see a perfect melding of the scales with the bolsters. This one has problems.
The seller seems to consider the rub marks as minor. There appear to be too many for my taste and there are only two blades to deal with.
Only two of my German BDs (out of 22) had any rub marks. Maybe the seller thinks the GEC mystique justifies the price but not for me.
I'll be interested to see if this sells at the given price.

Still, I am very grateful you steered me to it. It was a learning experience.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Same seller wants $800 for one of the recent Whalers with a damaged tube, significant blade rub, "polished out" nick on master blade from hitting the spring, wobbly pen blade, and despite the description what looks like some pocket wear. It could be the crap quality of the pictures - not sure that's the kind of effort you put into listing a knife you want $800 for. :roll:

As far as I'm concerned, he's a (lazy) flipper and he can take a flying leap. I'll reconsider his Bulldog #36 when he lists it with a starting bid under $200. Maybe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-46-Whaler- ... 3120426880
Attachments
1111ajpg.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

QS, That knife has been on ebay for several weeks now. I completely agree with you about it being way overpriced. I knew I wasn't giving away much when I posted the listing. Anyone that wants to pay that much for that knife should feel free to contact me about buying the GEC / Bulldogs I have. :D
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

For some reason i do not understand, the Bulldog branding on a USA made knife bothers me. Until recently being a Bulldog collector meant you liked the knives that were made in the Olbertz factory in Solingen, Germany.
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Parker was certainly known for having brands made in different places...usually japan like the Wostenholm brand.
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

The price on the whalers is mind boggling ::td::
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

image.jpeg
Another 43 into the collection
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

Picked up my first 25 recently ::super_happy::
image.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good looking knife Travis and great picture as well.
3" closed length, right ? Does it feel small in hand ?
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuty travis. Mmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnn. Reminds me of one of my favorites. Congrats. Love these littles.
Attachments
WP_20180914_084.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

kootenay joe wrote:Good looking knife Travis and great picture as well.
3" closed length, right ? Does it feel small in hand ?
kj
Thanks mate, yea 3" and yep it's small but the chunkyness makes it feel good, probably not my preferred size, but it is a beautiful knife ::tu::
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

Ivoryman wrote:Beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuty travis. Mmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnn. Reminds me of one of my favorites. Congrats. Love these littles.
Thanks Ivoryman and great pic as well! ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Newest used pick up
Attachments
WP_20181005_001.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Ivoryman wrote:Newest used pick up
Nice stag on that one.
-Tim
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Here's what I would imagine to be an incredible afternoon if I was a dreamer and wishing for some mythical perfect day. How about take the afternoon off on a rare kind of fabulous day around Puget Sound. Have lunch with the family. Ride the motorcycle a few miles to a quaint little town, catch a ferry boat to the other side of the Sound where you rarely go. Water is beautiful, scenery great, boats out, guys Salmon fishing right and left, Olympic Mountains ahead, Volcano mountains Rainier and Baker to the side, fall colors. 20 min ferry to Kingston where you go to the favorite watering hole of a veteran knife enthusiast, dealer, GEC collector and knife encyclopedia, one famous in certain circles. Meet at the Filling Station bar and grill. You sit in pleasant surroundings, have a few drinks or something to eat with a famous knife guy who then proceeds to pull out a table cloth and rags and white gloves, cases and tubes, to show you some of his private stash pieces and then he says he has too many knives and needs to get rid of some inventory. Then you try to keep yourself from grinning too big like an idiot, and giggling like a little kid in a candy store, trying hard not to come across too eager and simultaneously drool all over his gems. When faced with such choices the mind is boggled, the shock and gravity of it, the considering hard and fast, the decisions final. There's no second chance at a time like that. Once in a lifetime. And one in a million, or billion. The knives and the man. Not your average knife. One of a kind stag, and customization. All this made so rare by one of the friendliest, nicest, down to earth, one-of-the-boys kind of guys who seems like a friend to every man especially anyone who likes knives. That was too good to be true and a pipe dream I didn't even dare dream of until yesterday when it happened, met Gunstock Jack in his own haunts out on the Peninsula. Rain forest. Primeval feel, still feels like wilderness and separated from the mainland. Like a dream. Most people would not even get it, much less appreciate it, but I share only because I love to read stories like this and can't believe I'm relaying one, but hoped it was interesting to someone else besides me. Blown away. Seems like a dream now. Not really real like every day life. Weird. And all brought to you by the graciousness and generosity and friendship of Gunstock Jack who I met at the Oregon knife show years ago. And it goes back further 6-7 years maybe to Qtcut5 who got me into chasing knives and buying and selling and going to knife shows and shops and places where you get blades. Jack and Q are the kind of gems who were passing on the love, not gouging out the profits, letting you get stuff you couldn't get elsewhere, totally unavailable and much less than you would have to give up even if they were out there somewhere else, which they weren't. Just sharing for interested parties and passing on the good vibes of fellow blade brothers and sisters and great people out there in the knife world. My friends and family don't get it, but I knew some of you here would. Unbelievable. Thanks, thanks, thanks Q and Jack. Made some memory burn today. I'll never forget, never be able to give thanks enough. ::not_worthy::
Attachments
WP_20181019_080.jpg
WP_20181019_075.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Iman a fantastic Story and one which will give goose bumps to knife lovers. Ahh if we could all experience just a moment like that. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Great lookin knives fellas!! Here’s my newest, just arrived today, DLT Northfield Tortoise #14! ::ds::
3617A7F7-7DD2-4209-A547-75F2852C4AD6.jpeg
E6294EC0-A125-4991-A639-1539569179A8.jpeg
Love all Jacks
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for sharing Iman; a great read. And thanks to the Lord for a great natural setting.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Ivoryman wrote:Thanks, thanks, thanks Q and Jack. Made some memory burn today. I'll never forget, never be able to give thanks enough. ::not_worthy::
Q has made available to me some of my most treasured and personally-meaningful knives without any regard for profit.

Jack made it possible for me to lock in my first (and so far only) Ancient TC Barlow at dead retail after the much-hated "lolly scramble" had made almost all of the reservations disappear.

Both men are gems and amazing assets to the AAPK community.

Hear hear!

(Awesome story, pics, and Barlow, I-Man! ::tu::)
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks for the comments and compliments on the story Bomba, gsmith, Quick, and one of a kind knife everyone, great to see someone else gets and appreciates it. My pleasure and godspeed to all of you.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My kind of reading Iman. I enjoyed conjuring up the feeling of a motorcycle ride in the clean crisp Fall air of the Pacific Northwest wilderness. Then the boat ride to what i perceive to be a small town or village and meeting a sincere and welcoming knife guy completes the 'perfect outing'.
I did not know that Barry is an old time well respected knife collector. I only know Barry as the friendly knife dealer who has given me some very good deals for very special knives like my ivory Whaler.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

kootenay joe wrote:My kind of reading Iman. I enjoyed conjuring up the feeling of a motorcycle ride in the clean crisp Fall air of the Pacific Northwest wilderness. Then the boat ride to what i perceive to be a small town or village and meeting a sincere and welcoming knife guy completes the 'perfect outing'.
I did not know that Barry is an old time well respected knife collector. I only know Barry as the friendly knife dealer who has given me some very good deals for very special knives like my ivory Whaler.
kj
Well that's my term, a collector to me in that he has over the years accumulated some great stuff having had all the dealer knives pass through his hands and dealing with knife people all the time and Evan Esnyx. Then you know exactly what I mean about him letting you get a hold of knives you would never see and at very reasonable, non-gouging prices for fellow knife lovers and guys like us who would never get the chance otherwise. Sounds like you've seen what I mean, he's about the coolest knife guy I've ever met in person in my little experience. I got to know him and Derrick Bohn through years of going to the OKCA knife shows in Eugene OR, and they both treated me like old friends at first. Both great and RIP Derrick B. Miss him. Loved his designs and same with Barry and Charlie C. My favorite GEC's are all their designs and SFOs. Glad you liked the reading too, that really tickles me, appreciate the comment and it's the least I could do to share a story like that with fellow blade brothers and sisters who would appreciate it. Very unique experience for me anyway. Rare day. Thanks again all who commented.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”