Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by DM11 »

Those two are nice Travis!
David
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Love the bones on those two Travis, Mmmmmmnnnnnn, Appaloosa and that Oregon reminds me of Mammoth tusk.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

doglegg wrote:Two nice ones in a row Travis. ::tu::
Thanks mate ::tu::
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

Thanks David and Ivoryman ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Yea bone handles are becoming a favourite of mine
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

image.jpeg
Already shared a pic of this one.... But here's another ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Travis, that is a very good looking knife, power with graceful lines. Excellent picture too.
kj
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Now that is an impressive knife. ::tu::
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

kootenay joe wrote:Travis, that is a very good looking knife, power with graceful lines. Excellent picture too.
kj
Thanks Kj ::tu::
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

Quick Steel wrote:Now that is an impressive knife. ::tu::
Thanks Q.s, yea she's a beast, the secondary blade is a pain though, some days I can open him some days I can't lol
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

image.jpeg
Picked this 43 up recently, thanks to Kornel ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That 43 looks GREAT in red ! Now i want a red one !
kj
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

kootenay joe wrote:That 43 looks GREAT in red ! Now i want a red one !
kj
::tu:: it's more orange/brown in person, natural canvas micarta ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"natural canvas micarta" ! Thanks for telling me. I would have searched for red Micarta. Sure looks attractive in the picture.
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

This one showed up in today's mail
GEC - BULLDOG CONGRESS in ABALONE (1).jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

If it had arrived in my mail box I'd give the delivery person a big tip. She's a beauty. How is the build quality?
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Quick Steel wrote:If it had arrived in my mail box I'd give the delivery person a big tip. She's a beauty. How is the build quality?
One thing I noticed right away on both my Abalone GEC / Bulldogs is that they used the real Abalone, not the looking glass but maybe GEC wasn't using the looking glass back in 2009-10. I was darn lucky with this one...the back springs, bolsters and the top of the blades were just starting to show some rust. It took me several hours to clean it up for pictures and still have some work to do. Fortunatley the bolster with the S# was okay. The seller didn't disclose the problems with the knife but I got it at a good price. As hard as these GEC / Bulldogs are to find I'm happy to have it. The build quality is excellent...half stops on all 4 blades, perfect fit on the shield and bolsters, no rub on the blades and good pull. I'm not a big fan of the nail nicks but that's Bulldog's style. My only criticism is the back springs aren't quite flush with the blades in the open position.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very interesting. Thank you for the analysis. Surprised GEC flubbed a flush fit, but otherwise it seems very fine. And I have yet to find a GEC/Bulldog in any condition let alone one in such excellent condition. Patience is not one of my strongest virtues. :)
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Quick Steel wrote:Very interesting. Thank you for the analysis. Surprised GEC flubbed a flush fit, but otherwise it seems very fine. And I have yet to find a GEC/Bulldog in any condition let alone one in such excellent condition. Patience is not one of my strongest virtues. :)
There is one on ebay right now item 323408513481
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Many thanks dweb. I checked it out. I'm passing on this one for a bunch of reasons. I consider it seriously overpriced given its' condition. I have always been particularly fussy about the hafting of a knife, I want to see a perfect melding of the scales with the bolsters. This one has problems.
The seller seems to consider the rub marks as minor. There appear to be too many for my taste and there are only two blades to deal with.
Only two of my German BDs (out of 22) had any rub marks. Maybe the seller thinks the GEC mystique justifies the price but not for me.
I'll be interested to see if this sells at the given price.

Still, I am very grateful you steered me to it. It was a learning experience.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Same seller wants $800 for one of the recent Whalers with a damaged tube, significant blade rub, "polished out" nick on master blade from hitting the spring, wobbly pen blade, and despite the description what looks like some pocket wear. It could be the crap quality of the pictures - not sure that's the kind of effort you put into listing a knife you want $800 for. :roll:

As far as I'm concerned, he's a (lazy) flipper and he can take a flying leap. I'll reconsider his Bulldog #36 when he lists it with a starting bid under $200. Maybe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-46-Whaler- ... 3120426880
Attachments
1111ajpg.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

QS, That knife has been on ebay for several weeks now. I completely agree with you about it being way overpriced. I knew I wasn't giving away much when I posted the listing. Anyone that wants to pay that much for that knife should feel free to contact me about buying the GEC / Bulldogs I have. :D
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

For some reason i do not understand, the Bulldog branding on a USA made knife bothers me. Until recently being a Bulldog collector meant you liked the knives that were made in the Olbertz factory in Solingen, Germany.
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Parker was certainly known for having brands made in different places...usually japan like the Wostenholm brand.
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

The price on the whalers is mind boggling ::td::
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

image.jpeg
Another 43 into the collection

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”