Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by jerryd6818 »

jzwhts wrote:https://www.flickr.com/gp/26946687@N06/Y47E89

First post here, trying to figure out pics. Anyway mammoth ivory 36 came home with me today.
Welcome back. As you can see, a few things have changed since you first signed on. The forum is running a newer version of software so not everything is as it was back three years ago. We now have a Tips and Tricks forum ---> viewforum.php?f=98

Most of the actions you would like to perform, including posting pictures, now have their own tutorial thread in the Tips & Tricks forum. If you don't see what you're looking for, send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you with it.

Note: One of the major things concerning posting pictures is the {img} feature has been disabled by Bryan, the owner of forum. He wants ALL images stored on AAPK for the convenience of future researchers.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:A Northwoods Fremont with acrylic handles just sold on ebay for $670.
kj
My observation is that it is fairly common to see the desirable Northwoods patterns such as the Fremont Jack in desirable handle materials such as Mammoth approach $400 at auction. I'm not expressing an opinion about whether the amount should be more or less than $400.

This particular auction had a few bidders up to approximately the $400 amount and then 2 bidders competed up to the $670 closing amount. It seems unusual to me that a Fremont Jack in acrylic would command the $670 price.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

RalphAlsip wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:A Northwoods Fremont with acrylic handles just sold on ebay for $670.
kj
My observation is that it is fairly common to see the desirable Northwoods patterns such as the Fremont Jack in desirable handle materials such as Mammoth approach $400 at auction. I'm not expressing an opinion about whether the amount should be more or less than $400.

This particular auction had a few bidders up to approximately the $400 amount and then 2 bidders competed up to the $670 closing amount. It seems unusual to me that a Fremont Jack in acrylic would command the $670 price.
One good thing about that. There won't be any attempts to flip that knife in the near term...
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think this type of high bidding for a recently made GEC knife is people equating rarity with value. Only a few Fremonts were made with this green acrylic. But how many people will want an example of every Fremont handle material ? I know from time spent at BF a few years back that there are GEC collectors now who try for an example of every handle variation for some patterns (mostly Barlows). I doubt this GEC obsession will continue at the current intensity for more than 5-10 years.
GEC made knives are collectible for sure and for as long as knife collecting has enthusiasts.
I think it will be the Stag, Ivory/Mammoth & Giraffe bone knives that will get the higher prices in the future.
I doubt any acrylic GEC will stay in the $600 range for very long.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:I know from time spent at BF a few years back that there are GEC collectors now who try for an example of every handle variation for some patterns (mostly Barlows). I doubt this GEC obsession will continue at the current intensity for more than 5-10 years.
GEC made knives are collectible for sure and for as long as knife collecting has enthusiasts.
This is one of the main reasons why I have decided to turn all of my GECs, with a few rare exceptions (mostly duplicates purchased to be safe queens), into users. Even resisted the temptation to buy a second smooth yellow rose Churchill to put up despite the fact that the yellow rose's popularity means I could probably make my money back with ease in the future.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

USPS delivered a GEC 35 Churchill Yellow Rose today. I did a poor job of wiping the oil off the blades :oops:
Attachments
GEC 35 Churchill Yellow Rose
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
RalphAlsip wrote:
kj

One good thing about that. There won't be any attempts to flip that knife in the near term...
I wonder how this one will fare compared to the first "Ultra Rare" Fremont Jack that sold for $670?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Frem ... 1438.l2649

I wonder if the buyer of the first one will feel like a bit of a chump if/when this second one fetches a lot less? I know I would because that very thing has happened to me: paid a premium price for a knife I thought was 'Ultra Rare' only to see the same model suddenly hit the scene (repeatedly) for substantially less than I paid for mine. I imagine that I'm probably not the only knife collector who's ever made that mistake, though.

~Q~
~Q~
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

RalphAlsip wrote:USPS delivered a GEC 35 Churchill Yellow Rose today. I did a poor job of wiping the oil off the blades :oops:
That's a real beauty, Ralph! If mine looks half as nice I'll be dancin' in the streets.

How's the closing snap on those blades?
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very interesting that you found another Northwoods Fremont with the same handles as the just sold $670 example. Nine days until it closes and we find out how high it goes.
BEAUTY Yellow Rose Churchill !
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TX-Jerry, you pushed me over the line this morning. I've been eyeballin' the Yellow Rose editions since they first came out but just couldn't ever make the commitment. When the drawings of the 35 were released, I immediately decided I wanted one. When the Production Schedule was released and I saw they were going to make one in Yellow Rose, that clinched the deal. As the release time came closer, I started to waffle and doubt myself but the pictures you posted pushed me over the edge.

Let the waiting begin. ::pace::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Railsplitter wrote:How's the closing snap on those blades?
Rick, the closing snap on the main clip blade is what I would call medium. As the blade is being closed and pushed down from the spine it snaps closed when it reaches about 20 degrees. The snap is there and noticeable. The closing snap on the sheepsfoot is much crisper and "snappier". Neither blade has a half-stop. They both snap to open tightly. Both blades require significant force to move them out of the fully open position. The blade pull on both blades is medium to me. Both blades open very smoothly there is no grinding or rubbing of any sort. The finishes are very smooth and there are no snags or gaps at the points where bone meets bolster, where bone meets liner/backspring, etc. The blades are very sharp.

The knife has good length (3 3/4) is thin and light, but still manages to feel "hefty". I like it! I intend to carry this one.

Jerryd, I'd be surprised if you have any remorse with this one :)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

RalphAlsip wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:How's the closing snap on those blades?
Rick, the closing snap on the main clip blade is what I would call medium. As the blade is being closed and pushed down from the spine it snaps closed when it reaches about 20 degrees. The snap is there and noticeable. The closing snap on the sheepsfoot is much crisper and "snappier". Neither blade has a half-stop. They both snap to open tightly. Both blades require significant force to move them out of the fully open position. The blade pull on both blades is medium to me. Both blades open very smoothly there is no grinding or rubbing of any sort. The finishes are very smooth and there are no snags or gaps at the points where bone meets bolster, where bone meets liner/backspring, etc. The blades are very sharp.

The knife has good length (3 3/4) is thin and light, but still manages to feel "hefty". I like it! I intend to carry this one.

Jerryd, I'd be surprised if you have any remorse with this one :)
Thanks for the detailed description. I bought a couple of #35's but haven't received them yet. I read a comment elsewhere in which someone got a Yellow Rose #35 and had to push the clip blade closed because it wouldn't close on its own. He flushed and lubed the joints and claims that it helped but only a little.

Glad your example is better and I hope mine are too.
Rick T.

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

RalphAlsip wrote:USPS delivered a GEC 35 Churchill Yellow Rose today. I did a poor job of wiping the oil off the blades :oops:
Sweet knife, great color and love the little sheep foot. Congrats.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Ivoryman wrote:
Sweet knife, great color and love the little sheep foot. Congrats.

I couldn't stand it. Just put in my order for one. Love the looks of this knife. ::ds::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My 35 Yellow Rose showed up yesterday. No regerts. (sic) Yeah, they all look alike but this one is mine. ::huff::
Attachments
DSC08685.JPG
DSC08688.JPG
DSC08689.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Very nice, Jerry!

I'll have two Churchills after I receive the AAPK knife but my Yellow Rose has already gotten me hooked on the pattern. The two knives in my avatar are my everyday carry knives and I'm actually contemplating replacing one of them with a Churchill. I don't rotate knives often so when I change it up it's usually for several months or longer. One of these Churchills might force another change in EDC's.
Rick T.

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Great one Jerry, congrats on the score. Noticed there is a yellow and ebony for sale, pics above. Like everything but the price. Used to get GEC for $60-70-80 or so retail. Now they are all over a hundred and secondary market is twice as insane. But look what you get, another sweet sweet beauty and great performing knives. Congrats on that.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks fellers. I'm quite pleased with it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have very few Stag handled knives and a few months ago decided to look at new offerings in Stag.
I have really liked the GEC #35 pattern since last year when i bought one with an awl secondary from Charlie C. It is a 'substantial', not delicate knife but is very slender which is why i like it so much.
I just happened today to look at KSF and see 2 pages of #35 in Stag. What's going on here ? Usually new GEC release, esp in Stag, gets snapped up in minutes and yet here are a great many. Why no rush ? I dunno.
Anyway, the Stag on these is the nicest i have seen from GEC in a few years. The early GEC's had the best Stag. With these 35's they have kept the Stag to reasonably thin so not only is it excellent Stag, the slenderness is somewhat maintained.
So, i bought one, even though i did not know i was going to be shopping. Check them out. Some very nice ones there right now.
kj
Attachments
gec-35-churchill-sambar-stag-20__11411.1508773134.308.220.jpg
gec-35-churchill-sambar-stag-20__11411.1508773134.308.220.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Good score KJ! Saw those over a KSF earlier was tempted. But trying to resist. Agreed the stag is better than most that has come out lately. Got a "Pickle Green" 48 this morning. This is a very well made knife. All the good stuff GEC is know for. Since I've sent two of their knives back this year one for exchange and another for warranty. I'm very pleased with this one.
Attachments
GEC 48 008.JPG
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There are still some nice Stag 35's available. For some reason these are not getting snapped up as quickly as the other handle materials.
The last few GEC pattern releases have all been in high demand such that many were sold out within 24 hrs of being released.
The #35 is a pattern everyone likes yet they are still available. Is this a slow down of GEC sales ? or did they make more knives ?
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't think it's a slow down in demand, Roland. I get the impression they made more in anticipation of demand. I could be wrong. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The Calf Roper 66 still seems readily available several weeks after it was released. Several of the GEC patterns released in the past (e.g. 81 Abilene stockman) are scarce, but I don’t recall any availablity issues in trying to buy a recent GEC release that I wanted. Northwoods, on the other hand, is a different story. Northwoods knives seem to sell out within the hour after they are released.
Tennessee Vol

Post by Tennessee Vol »

I have seen some posts from a few that have a large collection of GEC's that they are growing tired of only carbon steel offerings. They were going to wait until more variety is released in stainless. I don't know if this is a valid reason for more availability. Just speculation of course. Maybe they are increasing the numbers in their runs. At any rate, it is a win for us. I would like to see more offerings in stainless myself, but taking care of a carbon blade is part of the fun. More reason to spend time with my knives. I guess as GEC says "carbon keeps cutting".
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Fell for the GEC #35 Churchill in Yellow Rose and had to have it. Then those sneaky suckers slipped in a GEC #35 Green Banana Bone variation. Oh woe is me. I'm so weak.
Attachments
GEC 351217 Churchill Yellow Rose & Green Banana Bone.JPG
GEC 351217 Churchill Green Banana Bone - Open Mark.JPG
GEC 351217 Churchill Green Banana Bone - Closed Pile.JPG
GEC 351217 Churchill Green Banana Bone - Tube.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”