GEC Newbie

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
KEN

GEC Newbie

Post by KEN »

Hi Fellers

While I have carried a pocket knife most of my life, I really didn’t pay too much attention to them so long as they felt unobtrusive in my pocket, opened my mail, cut twine and rope, and performed other sundry tasked. Over the last few years, I have been paying a little more attention and have tried to familiarize myself as to what a “good” pocket knife should be. Thus, just before Christmas, I purchased my first GEC off Ebay based upon the testimony that I have read on this Web Site and it arrived Monday.

Boy, this is a swell little knife. It is a #25 small Jack Knife with burnt stag handles and I can see that I will be adding more GEC knives to the collection.

I have a few questions that perhaps you guys might be able to answer for me.

1. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what the “Pattern Number” means. I have figured out, I think, that the any knife in the GEC line with the same “Pattern Number” will be the same length but I also discovered that all knifes of the same length don’t necessarily have the same “Pattern Number.” The GEC Web Site explains the tang code but offers little or no information about Pattern Numbers.

2. Can anyone tell me how to say or pronounce: UN-X-LD and does it have some sort of meaning?

3. It seems to me that the Northfield brand is their top of the line brand – can anyone tell me what the differences are between their various brands?

Well, thanks in advance for any info you guys can pass along.

Ken
Ramrod

Re: GEC Newbie

Post by Ramrod »

Ken, Howdy.
1. The pattern number refers to a combination of handle size AND shape.
2. UN-X-LD is pronounced "Unexcelled", kinda like a slogan, like -cant be outdone.
3. Not sure, but I bet someone knows and will tell us.
Heres a link to some discussion about the differences.....http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ld#p160768
Mark
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

Okay, here's what I understand about the brands.

I believe Great Eastern Cutlery is their mid range knives, these knives have a 440C steel blade.

The Tidioute brand is their least expensive run of knives, they have a 1095 carbon steel blade that has a satin finish, these knives are handled in a variety of wood, bone, and acrlyic scales.
The Tidioute line of knives aren't handled with stag, or horn.

Northfield knives are the premium knives put out by GEC, they have a 1095 carbon steel blade, the blade will be found with a satin finish as well as a high polish depending on the model.
The Northfield knives are scaled in the finer materials such as stag, horn, ivory, bone, abalone, exotic woods, and some aclyics.
augustus88

Post by augustus88 »

KEN wrote:Hi Fellers

While I have carried a pocket knife most of my life, I really didn’t pay too much attention to them so long as they felt unobtrusive in my pocket, opened my mail, cut twine and rope, and performed other sundry tasked. Over the last few years, I have been paying a little more attention and have tried to familiarize myself as to what a “good” pocket knife should be. Thus, just before Christmas, I purchased my first GEC off Ebay based upon the testimony that I have read on this Web Site and it arrived Monday.

Boy, this is a swell little knife. It is a #25 small Jack Knife with burnt stag handles and I can see that I will be adding more GEC knives to the collection.

I have a few questions that perhaps you guys might be able to answer for me.

1. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what the “Pattern Number” means. I have figured out, I think, that the any knife in the GEC line with the same “Pattern Number” will be the same length but I also discovered that all knifes of the same length don’t necessarily have the same “Pattern Number.” The GEC Web Site explains the tang code but offers little or no information about Pattern Numbers.

2. Can anyone tell me how to say or pronounce: UN-X-LD and does it have some sort of meaning?

3. It seems to me that the Northfield brand is their top of the line brand – can anyone tell me what the differences are between their various brands?

Well, thanks in advance for any info you guys can pass along.

Ken
1. Maybe this link will help some. It has a list of the pattern numbers at the bottom. http://www.collectorknives.net/gecexplained.html

2. Ramrod already answered this one.

3. Northfield - Generally uses more expensive scale material (Genuine Stag, Abalone, Primitive Bone, etc.) they also add features like pinched(dimpled) and fluted(rat tail, grooved) bolsters and swedge work on the blades. Blades are 1095 carbon steel. Variety of shields, but UN-X-LD is most common.
Tidioute- Same quality as Northfield only more basic handle materials and overall less fancy. Bolsters are simple and the blades lack swedge work. Blades are 1095 carbon steel. Variety of shields, but Tidioute is most common.
Great Eastern Cutlery - Not as fancy as Northfield. Blade steel is 440C stainless steel on folding knives and first fixed blade hunting knives. Acorn shield. New line of fixed blade hunting knives use 1095 Carbon steel like Northfield and Tidioute.

Hope this helps.
KEN

Post by KEN »

Thanks guys - you all have been a great help. I feel a lot more knowledgable now that I have read your post.

Ken
KEN

Post by KEN »

Augustus88

Hey, that link was great - it really explained a lot. I don't know why GEC doesn't have something like that on their Web Site.

Ken
augustus88

Post by augustus88 »

My pleasure Ken!

The GEC website could definitely use a pattern chart with pictures and numbers and all the possible blade configurations. It's not that hard to do and would add stock to their past and current offerings.

Octavio

PS Noticed you're in the KC area. I lived in Overland Park, KS (formerly Stanley out past 151st) when I was a greeting card artist for Hallmark. I don't miss the cold, but I really liked the area.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”