First GEC Knife

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
vikingdog

First GEC Knife

Post by vikingdog »

Impressed by the reviews and favorable comments on Great Eastern Cutlery I recently bought my first GEC knife. A Northfield half congress. The half congress is one of my favorite patterns and the burnt stag looked beautiful. Long pull, ringed bolsters.

The knife is OK but not up to my expectations. I paid $98 for the knife, and planned to use it as my EDC. The first thing I noticed is that it had no cutting edge on it at all. It was the dullest knife I've ever purchased. Also the primary blade does not seat quite as deeply as it should leaving the point of the sheepsfoot sticking out to snag things.

It is a beautiful knife, design and material wise. I sharpened it, never getting a really good edge on it and carried it for a few days but went back to my pre 1955 Queen jack knife. Was the knife worth $100, No, I don't think so. Would I buy another GEC? Not without handling it in person.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
tomcrx

Re: First GEC Knife

Post by tomcrx »

vikingdog wrote:Impressed by the reviews and favorable comments on Great Eastern Cutlery I recently bought my first GEC knife. A Northfield half congress. The half congress is one of my favorite patterns and the burnt stag looked beautiful. Long pull, ringed bolsters.

The knife is OK but not up to my expectations. I paid $98 for the knife, and planned to use it as my EDC. The first thing I noticed is that it had no cutting edge on it at all. It was the dullest knife I've ever purchased. Also the primary blade does not seat quite as deeply as it should leaving the point of the sheepsfoot sticking out to snag things.

It is a beautiful knife, design and material wise. I sharpened it, never getting a really good edge on it and carried it for a few days but went back to my pre 1955 Queen jack knife. Was the knife worth $100, No, I don't think so. Would I buy another GEC? Not without handling it in person.

The complaints you raise are the two most common I have heard and have had with GEC. They are still great knives and my favorite. The proud blade can be fixed with gentle filing of the blade kick. If it bothers you a lot though call the dealer and see if you can exchange it for another
big monk

Post by big monk »

Hey Mike-----sorry for the bad deal-----you can call GEC,and they will make it "'right""____several folks,have complained,about the high blade,and sent them back for repair,or GEC,has sent them new knives----customer service is their best product ----- I've got 30 of their knives,but,all are still in the tubes,except the lock-back,that I carry__________and it was a real ""booger"" to sharpen.Once,sharpened,it holds an edge forever ----please ,get in touch,with GEC,and let them know your concerns_____and let us all know,how it turns out____good luck,Monk

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/contacts/
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thanks Monk. I e-mailed Ryan Daniels on October 2 and didn't receive a reply. I have mixed feelings about buying new knives, I generally prefer vintage but the GEC half whittler is a classic.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

Mike
big monk

Post by big monk »

Try those phone numbers,I listed______like I said,the customer service,is their best product,and with the business at full throttle,an e-mail,can get over-looked ::shrug::""" but shouldn't"""________go to the new page,and register ___cause,they have a blog,and some negative thoughts,should be "'Blogged"" also,if you have some______this can only help improve,on the quality,of future knives.!!!!good luck,my friend,and please keeps us informed,to your progress _________ Monk ::tu::

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/

MONK****
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thanks Monk. I tried a different e-mail address and got a response from Christine Tucker. She offered to make it right so I'll see what happens. Too bad I already chewed the blade up myself sharpening it.

Mike
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

difantly call Ryan, i had a little issue with one, and he will do what it takes to get it right, his number is on GEC,s site. ::tu::
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thanks cb. I hate to call people and intrude on them. I stick to e-mail and evidently Christine checks hers often. She was very helpful and I look forward to resolving the issue.

I have to offer a big thank you to my friend Monk for his interest and help in this matter. ::tu:: Monk you the man! :D

Mike
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

oct 2 was weekend, he does a lot of shows, one of the coolest guys i've
met at knife shows for sure. just make sure you get in contact with him
before you write anything off. I've only bought a few gec knives, they have
all but 1 been from him at different shows. good luck ::tu::
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
big monk

Post by big monk »

vikingdog wrote:
I have to offer a big thank you to my friend Monk for his interest and help in this matter. ::tu:: Monk you the man! :D

Thanks Mike_________just glad it all worked out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::tu::

MONK****
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

I received my knife from GEC today. Christine took the time and trouble to make it right. My thanks to her and GEC! ::tu::

Mike

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”