GEC Knife ID

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Aimus Moses

GEC Knife ID

Post by Aimus Moses »

Hi everyone. I bought a knife today that does not have the GEC name on it. I have also bought a couple of other knives in the past that didn't have the GEC name on them. When I picked those knives up and felt them in my hand and took a good look at them, I knew they were GEC made contract knives. There is something about the GEC knives that gives them a signature of their own that is uncommon to any other brands of knives. I compare it to say, George Jones. Once you here his voice you know exactly who it is singing. He has a signature or style that is his and his alone in singing. That's the way GEC knives are to me. Regardless of the brand name on the knife's blade, that little something about GEC knives shows through. I don't know what it is, and I can't put my finger on it but there is just something about those GEC knives that says "I'm GEC made". Has anyone else noticed that about the GEC knives?

Aimus
justold52

Re: GEC Knife ID

Post by justold52 »

WOW You must be very tallented.

Are you saying with a blind fold on your eyes you can pick out a Real GEC and not just a made GEC bulldog?

Shucks I am still trying to pick out a stockmen knife made by GEC with my eyes open.

EDITED "knifeswapper I corrected my error of spelling... ::smirk:: Perhaps it was just my keyboard miss print, do to all my drooling over the keyboard looking at GEC knives.!!

After fondling GEC knives for 3 years I can spot one from across the room. Well I can not do that ether.
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

After fondling GEC knives for 3 years I can spot one from across the room. Some of their finest craftsmanship is in the contract knives they make. I saw a thread elsewhere about a guy that had a hundred or so beavertail patterns made a couple years ago with his name on the tang and now was trying to sell them as custom made products by his own hand (or someone was doing it for him). But everyone that saw them knew what they were and he was getting bombarded with doubters.

They have made a big mark in 3 years.....
Mike Latham, CollectorKnives
Great Eastern Cutlery | Case Knives | Arno Bernard Knives | Early Reserve
Low Price & Satisfaction Guaranteed
Pen & Toothpick

Post by Pen & Toothpick »

This makes me think what our grand childern and great grand childern will think 100 years from now.

I am sure many of us are pretty certain that the GEC three brands will be highly collected.

It seems to me that the Bulldogs and cripple creeks of the world will be more questioned.......they could be made anywhere.

Unless you are Levine or someone.....you would be spinning your head about where these knives were made!

I think the greatest knive salesman that we have ever known...the late Jim Parker had alot to do with the confusion!

I picked up a new GEC Bulldog Barlow recently and I love it so what do I know!
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Yes Mike (knifeswapper), you are correct about my meaning in my post. BTW, I bought some of those knives from you. Ken, I'm not that talented. Wish I was. I couldn't do it with a blindfold on. I can how ever do it by feeling the knife in my hand and looking at the complete knife with my eyes (not looking at the tang stamp on the blade either). It's something that I just can't explain, it's more like a feeling I get about the knife when I feel it and see it and GEC just pops into my mind.
rma, within the last year and a half I have bought at least one knife from every USA brand cutlery company in business (I know some are contract knives having one name stamped on the knife and being made by another cutlery company). As with all things some are better than others. On knives being within the same price amount of all the USA cutlery companies, GEC makes the best factory production knives made to date IMHO. Queen would be a close second because they make good quality knives too, but I'd have to give GEC the edge between the two though. I think when ever GEC spreads out with more different patterns, they are going to be very hard to beat by any of the other USA cutlery companies. That's just MHO of them though.

Aimus
Knifekid

Post by Knifekid »

knifeswapper wrote:After fondling GEC knives for 3 years I can spot one from across the room. Some of their finest craftsmanship is in the contract knives they make. I saw a thread elsewhere about a guy that had a hundred or so beavertail patterns made a couple years ago with his name on the tang and now was trying to sell them as custom made products by his own hand (or someone was doing it for him). But everyone that saw them knew what they were and he was getting bombarded with doubters.

They have made a big mark in 3 years.....

Ain't that the truth!! Just spent the weekend with Ken and Ryan and they have much more to come, more patterns that is. I like a lot of other USA made knives as well but, GEC's quaility can't be beat!!!
Perry Miller
http://www.spaceportcutlery.com/
President Tuna Valley Cutlery Co
Historian for Randall Made Knives

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”