Warrenty Repair ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sure Shot Rick

Warrenty Repair ?

Post by Sure Shot Rick »

Wow, I just found Great Eastern Cutlery and went bananas. I bought five knives. So far I’ve received four. Two are wonderful and the other two are really disappointing. The black Buffalo bone NORTHFIELD UN X LD #25, and white bone Beaver Tail TIDIOUTE #24 are great examples of the craft.
The red diamond bone TIDIOUTE two blade #127 and white bone Barlow NORTHFIELD UN X LD #32 have problems I can not believe got by the people who I thought hand build them. First the red knife has a sharp edged name plate that is raised well above the surface of the handle and nor even evenly. One end is higher than the other and is just waiting to get snagged and pop off or do damage to a sheath or pocket. The center rivet along the spine on the opposite side from the name plate side has a sharp edge sticking above the radiused edge of the scale.
On the Barlow the center rivet along the spine is not set all the way down to the scales and have catching edges. On the side with the small blade, the center rivet where the blade swings out is set below the surface of the scale and it appears the bone was depressed or chipped off to one side of the rivet and it is cracked on each side of the rivet. I have many Barlows from Boker, Russell, Bulldog, and a Watson white horn Damascus and too many other slip joints to count. I have not encountered this kind of problem before.
I could not find any warranty info on the Great Eastern web site. Should I Contact the manufacture or the places I purchased form. I have already used and sharpened them, so I am looking for repair not replacements.
Has anyone had a similar issue with this brand of knife? ::shrug::
Attachments
DSC00371.JPG
DSC00343.JPG
DSC00360.JPG
DSC00363.JPG
DSC00313.JPG
DSC00328.JPG
Forensic Jim

Re: Warrenty Repair ?

Post by Forensic Jim »

You should return them to the dealer who sold them to you and either ask for a replacement or a refund. A dealer should inspect each and every knife he gets to insure customers get a quality knife. The dealer can return any knives with issues to GEC easily. If you want to send them in for repair you can, but it might take a while.
RIP Johnnie Rotten

So far, so good...So What!!
Matt Hammon

Post by Matt Hammon »

I actually sent a scout back with a broken blade that some bozo did at work when I let him borrow it. I was expecting to pay an arm and a leg to have them reblade it. They took care of me rather quickly (under 10 days) and for a small fee too.

Matt
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

You need to be happy with them! A couple of notes for future reference though.

1) Inspect the knife when you get it in; because once you sharpen / modify it you complicate any return process. But most dealers will pay for you to send the knife back to the factory and work with them to insure your concerns are taken care of.

2) Your pin problems seem opposite ends of the spectrum. One you don't like because they spun it down in the bone; the other you don't like because they didn't spin it down into the bone. If they spin into the bone there will be a circle (and possible chipping) that many times cannot be buffed out. If they do not spin into the bone, it's cap will be extended a little above the bone. Spinning all the way down is very difficult on smooth bone. Spinning into jigged bone without chipping is hard as well. Thus before you send them back you might want to tell them if you want them spun into the bone or not. On the red bone it looks like the backspring pin had to go right into a bone ridge, just bad luck during assembly. On the primitive bone, it should have been spun a little more snug; but they may have been gun-shy on hitting that smooth bone.

Most sellers will inspect knives as they are packing them for shipment, but knives are made by humans and most times not completely perfect. Great Eastern knives are unique in that you can see the human in every one of them; if these issues you are seeing bother you, then 100% out of the box satisfaction is probably not going to be achievable. But, your dealer wants you to be happy and Great Eastern Cutlery wants you to be happy; so just keep pounding into the factories head what is and is not satisfactory to you. You will be doing us dealers a service as well as the end customer. Most every dealer looks at the knives before shipping; and if you look there will be a thread about one slipping by most all of them. What matters is how it is resolved. The only way to insure you are getting the knife perfect for you is to go to a gunshow and pay 50% too much for it.

If those knives were still as you received them, you could send them back to the dealer and the next 15 customers he sent them to would be tickled with them. But this hobby is about making sure every person gets what they want....

Long story short: If you are not happy, decide what work they need done to them and send them to the factory with a detailed note. This will help them understand their customer base expectations. Most times if a dealer sends them back, they just figure they have an anal dealer as opposed to real world customers. Send your dealer a note and they will probably agree to pay shipping for you.

I'm telling you all this as if you had called me directly as I recognize your name :wink:
Mike Latham, CollectorKnives
Great Eastern Cutlery | Case Knives | Arno Bernard Knives | Early Reserve
Low Price & Satisfaction Guaranteed
Tom McLaughlin

Post by Tom McLaughlin »

As a proud anal dealer of GEC..I think Mike's got it right nothings perfect and mistakes are made..and if not caught by the dealer I think ya gotta let him know before ya use the knife to make it easy for everyone even anal dealers like myself..lol..Your satisfaction is the best advertiser...GEC ::ds::
Ya gotta remember when speakin' ta someone ya might be talkin' to the very person you think you are...
Forensic Jim

Post by Forensic Jim »

GEC really does not feel that any dealer returning a knife is anal. To make such an accusation is ridiculous and unfounded. The dealer is the last of the quality control process and should inspect each and every knife they get. Christine Tucker at GEC always accepts returns and her gracious response is has remained the same, "it's not a problem". The first few years were rough for GEC due to quality control issues. They have improved their quality control and have become the best pocket knife manufacturer in the USA period! Now, they not only make GEC knives, but make knives for numerous other companies as well. To pass off a knife with issues affects the customer, GEC and the dealer. I'm guilty of being an anal dealer as well.

I think old Tom McLaughlins motto say's it best, "Don't let the smooth talkers fool ya". :mrgreen:
RIP Johnnie Rotten

So far, so good...So What!!
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

I am not going to address the obvious childish attack on me. It is not something I feel appropriate for this forum.

But the fact of the matter is that if I sent back every knife that was not mere perfection, I would be sending back most of them; all brands. I guarantee I send back the largest percentage of GEC knives of any distributor; due to issues that most would pay no attention.

If you read the post as written instead of putting the old "I don't like mike" glasses on; you will see nowhere that I said the factory would feel you are anal for returning any knife. There are several points made that tie into customer preferences versus flaws. For example, several years I have set back any knife that had significantly mis-matched color handles; then a thread popped up on one of the forums a while back about this exact issue and most collectors said they like it as it gave the knife character. I couldn't stand selling that primitive bone with cracks the length of the knife; then had one customer email me an order and said "send me the most cracked up mess you have". Unless it is a factory defect, whether determined by the craftsman - the quality control - or the dealer, you simply cannot determine what will make a customer happy with a knife. Not to say that they don't get thru or that what is a flaw to one, is character to the next. You can just guarantee that he ends up happy.

Chris and I joke all the time about how particular I am and the word "anal" has been used many times; thus if you don't know of what you speak -- don't.

Just to clarify the other spin put on my words that was never there to begin with. I do believe Great Eastern Cutlery is making the best value collectible product on the market today. And hands down the best work knife if you could stand to use them (since they are so nice). That is why I am one of their top distributors! They are not perfect; nor is anybody else that makes more than a couple of knives a week. But there is not a person in that company that would tell you there is no room for improvement. If I made the same mistake that the craftsman and the quality control did by letting these knives get thru, I feel in pretty good company; as these people have my utmost respect.

But please rest assured that I have price and satisfaction guarantee and this buyer has not contacted me directly yet. When / if he does we will resolve it immediately to everyone's satisfaction. Maybe his solution will just be to buy from good old Jim (shameless plug). And this chatter you have had to suffer reading is solely one petty dealer rattling the cage of another one. (that's how much we love our customers)

My apologies for soiling this warranty thread, for my part.
God Bless.
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

I agree GEC is the best knife in AMERICA, I don't collect knives not made in the good old USofA so I would be willing to say GEC is the best knife in the WORLD!!!!!!!!! thats just my thoughts don't wanna hurt any feelings though. ::tu:: ::tu::

GOD Bless.

Twoshoes.
Sure Shot Rick

Post by Sure Shot Rick »

I did not mean to stir up a storm with the original Post. I just wanted advice on who to go to about getting the issues resolved, as I could not find any warranty info on the manufactures web site. I just received another Great Eastern 3 ¾” Tidioute and it is wonderful.
I am 54 and have built IPSC pistols back when I had an FFL before Bill Clinton, modified weapons for SASS competition, made floral carved gun leather, Rendezvoused for decades and have been building muzzle loaders for years. I studied Philippine Martial Arts for many years. I own more tactical knives, traditional slip joints, and many hand forged custom 18th & 19th century knives and tomahawks. I can not even estimate how many blades I own. I can with out doubt say the two knives in question have flaws I’ve only seen in carnival prize knives from Pakistan. I always carry four or more knives on my person daily. I have added some more pictures of a small sampling of my slip joints. US made Japanese and Chinese made. None of which came to me with the flaws I’ve noted before in the original post.
With all of that being said lets all of us be friends and take a step back. I have received some very positive feed back and am sure it will all be resolved. Three out of the five I recently bought are just great and I could not want for more from any maker. The last two pictures are the most recient one. Thank you all for your opinions and advice.
Attachments
DSC00374.JPG
DSC00376.JPG
DSC00377.JPG
DSC00378.JPG
DSC00380.JPG
DSC00383.JPG
DSC00381.JPG
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

Fair question; my original "long story short" answer stands. Send them to the manufacturer with a note of your concerns.

Notify the seller of the action such that he can assist getting the matter resolved quickly.

------------

I talked to the factory yesterday about the problem (as soon as you originally posted) and they are expecting the knives and will make every effort to offer timely resolution.
The straightest distance between two points is a straight line. Since your intent, as originally stated, is to have them repaired it would be time consuming to send the knives to me; just to send them to GEC; so they could repair and send to me; so I could send to you. I will reimburse your prioirity shipping charges as soon as the factory confirms they have your knives in hand and are working on them. You will either get the knives back as soon as repair is finished, or an alternate solution presented to you by the factory or myself. This is the process I have used the 2-3 times prior when the need arose and it seems to be the best for all involved.

The followup question of
Has anyone had a similar issue with this brand of knife?
prompted further discussion. But the answer is "yes". Mis-spun pins, pertruding/crooked shields, and bone finishing seem to be the more common issues with GEC products; as the more blatant defects (slab cracks / jigging faults, metal imperfections, etc) almost never leave GEC's floor. [Disclaimer, so there is no confusion: Great Eastern releases fewer defects and resolves them faster than any other company I have ever dealt with].

Just my opinion, maybe you will get more ::nod::
God Bless
Tom McLaughlin

Post by Tom McLaughlin »

Hope nobody thinks I am attacking anybody...Just trying to protect my analism maybe the only thing which I speak of I know of..and will..it ain't easy being an anal and GEC teeny tiniest distributor at the same time..LOL.. Hope the day does its best work for all...GEC ::ds::
Ya gotta remember when speakin' ta someone ya might be talkin' to the very person you think you are...
W5RWU

Post by W5RWU »

Sure Shot Rick , I hope you came back and show us some more GEC. knives , not all of us are anal!!!
w5rwu
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/w5rwu

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
BUY MORE AMMO
R.I.P. Johnnie Fain
1949 - 2009
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

i am fortunate to have 3 GEC knives i bought all from ryan daniels at different knife shows, and was able to handle all of them before purchase, but everything on the table looked excellent. let the manufacturer make them right for you, i am sure they won't mind. like a barber, they enjoy repeat business. my wife says i'm anal..???
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

oops. i really have four gec knives.... :mrgreen:
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”