GEC Blade Configuration Wish List

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
TM

GEC Blade Configuration Wish List

Post by TM »

I'd like to see.......

a small coping, small pen and large clip on the Whittler

a large sheepsfoot, large spear, small pen and small coping on the Congress

a large clip and small pen on the #73 Jack

:)
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC Blade Configuration Wish List

Post by muskrat man »

I'd like a #53 Moose with a turkish clip and spear baldes or turkish clip and spey
I'd also like a whittler with the spey blade snuffed either pen, small clip, or coping blade in it's place
#53 big jack with turkish clip and large clip
#53 big jack with turkish clip and spey blades
Heck, I'd like to contract them to make A #73 and #23 with a dual true drop point blade as seen here for deer hunters
Attachments
DDP#23.JPG
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I sure like Kaleb's idea about having a dual drop point on the 23 and 73. I would like to see the clip blade modified on the Cuban - 53 stockman. I always felt like the clip blade was out of porportion to the cigar type handle with the spey and sheepsfoot blades - I think it has.

It would make a darn good hunting knife with a drop point blade instead of the clip blade it has. The clip from a harness jack would be about right also for a working stockman. Maybe they have done some of this - I just have not kept up with all the fine GEC knives once I completed my 2006 set.
Hukk
BuckeyeSchatt

Post by BuckeyeSchatt »

I was in Titusville Friday for the Queen show & the Thursday factory tours both Queen & GEC.I was very impressed with both factories & all people I met and talked to are first class all the way. I was able to talk to Ken Daniels (Great person) about new ideas for future patterns and blade configurations. I told him I would like to see a 2 blade congress with sheepsfoot and coping blade or pen , a #73 with a Wharncliffe blade and a smaller Cuban stockman with a sheepsfoot ,clip, and spey.I also asked about some smaller more pocket friendly patterns , more like the #25 single blade sheepsfoot such as a small whittler or small stockman.Ken told me that a 2 blade congress is coming soon ::ds:: and that more knives are to made off of the congress frame. He told me to be patient Wharncliffes are coming and some smaller framed knives also. I was able to see the new GEC #12 Tidioute toothpick and bought raffle tickets to win one with all proceeds going to charity. The price on the toothpick was around $ 75.00.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I am glad to hear that Great Eastern is bringing in some new patterns.
I liked the looks of their Barlow, once I saw one there was no way I could use that tiny 3” Barlow with my big arthritic hands. I was really looking forward to getting one until I saw the size. It felt like a cruel joke, a beautiful knife in one of my all-time favorite patterns that is too small for me to use. :x

I like the easy open jack but it is only 3” also. Too small for me, no matter how much I like it. ::huff::

I guess my favorite to date is the 73. It is 3-3/4” in length; big enough I can get a hold of it, but not so heavy that it pulls my pants down. :shock:

The 23 at 4-1/2” is so heavy that I have to wear a sheath when I carry it.
Just a thought here, but I have not seen any GEC sheaths for the bigger knives. That might be a nice accessory sale item for them. ::hmm::

I am waiting for a Wharncliffe blade (1095) in a 3-1/2” to 3-3/4” frame. :mrgreen: ::tu::

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gcrinnion

Post by gcrinnion »

This is a new pattern just released.

Tidioute #12 Toothpick
#128109 released on 7-23-09
Featuring a 1095 Carbon Steel Clip Blade
Closed Length 4"
Handle Material is River blue Jigged Bone
Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (43.49 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
My name is George

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change -
Buddha

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible"
- Matthew 19:26
justold52

Post by justold52 »

orvet I too have a large hand. I always have a hard time getting gloves to fit in the winter.

If you can hold one of those Tidioute #12 Toothpick in your hand.
I find it to be a very good size for my hand and pocket.

I just picked up 2 of them from the factory. Toothpick is not my pattern of choice but when you get one of these GEC's in your hand you mite changeing your mind a notch or two.
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
popedandy

Post by popedandy »

TM wrote:I'd like to see.......

I'd like to see that as well.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

justold52 wrote: Toothpick is not my pattern of choice but when just get one of these GEC's in your hand you mite changeing your mind a notch or two.
I have several GESs.
My favorite is the #73, a good edc, except I would use a sheepsfoot blade more than a spey out in the shop.

I have a stockman, which I like, but I really don't like the acrylic handles on the muskrat I have.
I should have ordered bone, stag or wood.

I do like the quailty of GEC. Their fit & finish is very good and the 1095 steel is excellent.
I just want them to make some of my favorite patterns in something besides those tiny 3" knives! ::dang::

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

orvet wrote:I am glad to hear that Great Eastern is bringing in some new patterns.
I liked the looks of their Barlow, once I saw one there was no way I could use that tiny 3” Barlow with my big arthritic hands. I was really looking forward to getting one until I saw the size. It felt like a cruel joke, a beautiful knife in one of my all-time favorite patterns that is too small for me to use. :x

I like the easy open jack but it is only 3” also. Too small for me, no matter how much I like it. ::huff::

I guess my favorite to date is the 73. It is 3-3/4” in length; big enough I can get a hold of it, but not so heavy that it pulls my pants down. :shock:

I am waiting for a Wharncliffe blade (1095) in a 3-1/2” to 3-3/4” frame. :mrgreen: ::tu::

Dale
I'm with you there Dale. I was surprised that those 3 inch knives were big sellers. I have no use for a 3 inch knife - I can't use it so I won't collect it. Let's see at 3 inches it would be about the size of my thumb. I really favor knives 3-3/4 inch or there abouts because that's what fits well. I'm losing feeling in my right hand so a little knife is not much use.
Hukk
Cowboy7130

Post by Cowboy7130 »

Wow, that #12 toothpick is NICE! :shock: ::drool::

I'd like to see a 4" or 4-1/4" stockman from GEC, with the traditional clip, spey and sheepsfoot blades.
Cowboy7130

"What's wrong with that knife, Bol? Won't hold an edge?"
"It's like a wife ... each night, you better stroke it!"
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

While I was there on saturday there were putting some polish on a bunch of #12's in frontier bone. they looked quite nice from my angle :)

I'd love to see a 3.5 or 3.25" something or other with a drop point blade. something along the lines of Schrade's old 3OT or 5OT, but with a GEC touch, of course.

As for more small frame knives, I just don't know that that's a good idea. I only make so much money every week, and I just couldn't afford to buy them all :lol: :mrgreen:

I'm a huge "Little big knife" advocate. The 25's and 26's have that feel to them. small size, big cutter. the Anti-peanut :) My Spyderco Lava has that feel to it, which is why it rides along with a GEC most days in one of my pockets.
Cowboy7130

Post by Cowboy7130 »

well, I am a doofus ... they DO have that pattern! ::dang:: I am not sure why I thought they didn't have it ... Now, I just need to decide which knife to get .... Tidioute, Northfield, GEC ...
Cowboy7130

"What's wrong with that knife, Bol? Won't hold an edge?"
"It's like a wife ... each night, you better stroke it!"
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

yes I agree, they need some more usable sized knives. The 3" knives were a big let down to me personally. I like to get 4 fingers on the handle comfortably. Right now I EDC a #73S in frontier bone (really smooth which is the exception) that I reshaped the blade into a drop point on. It's a dandy knife with great temper that really holds an edge. I'm wishing for some more outdoorsmans patterns, maybe a big 5" cokebottle, or a folding hunter, 4 1/2"+ stockman, a standard trapper similar to queen's design would be really sweet but this isn't a pattern wish thread it's a blade pattern wish thread so i'll shutup.

But of they did make a standard 4" trapper I would own one of each. Ok i'm done now. Good Bye :mrgreen:

P.S A sodbuster around 4.5"+ would be cheap to make, easy to sell and a great working pattern, I'd be a sucker for those too. Ok, now i'm done, no really I am. Bye now :lol:
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

I agree with Muskrat Man, GEC dosn't make the most affordable knife, and a sod buster is a cheap and popular style to make.
TM

Post by TM »

Ditto on the Sodbuster ::nod:: I think GEC could make a really good one
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

I'd like to see this blade that they use on their Schrade in the 73 Scout.... ::tu::
Attachments
GEC 032.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
jntroisi

Post by jntroisi »

I couldn't have said it better. Actually, I'll only add that I'd like to see the Whittler and Congress mentioned below in a 3.5 inched closed case.
TM wrote:I'd like to see.......

a large sheepsfoot, large spear, small pen and small coping on the Congress

a large clip and small pen on the #73 Jack

wildcat

Post by wildcat »

I'd like to see more offerings in the 3.5" to 3.75" range. 3" too small and 4 1/4" a little too big. Especially the barlows and moose/big jack.
God prefers spiritual fruit, not religious nuts. Galations 5:22~
knifeguy70

Post by knifeguy70 »

wildcat wrote:I'd like to see more offerings in the 3.5" to 3.75" range. 3" too small and 4 1/4" a little too big. Especially the barlows and moose/big jack.
Totally Agree and I'd like to see a GEC version of a Granddaddy Barlow!! GEC definitely has a niche in the market and I hope they continue to do well.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I have rather big mitts too and find 3.75 to be just about the perfect compromise between pocketing and using.

That said I'll happily take any 3" knife that's too small for you!!! :oops:

The top two are my FAVORITE blade shape. Is it called Spearpoint or something else?

The third one down is also very nice.

One of those and a pen or wharncliffe in a 3.5-3.75 equal ender or swell end jack would be the bees knees!

EDIT to add: I really hate to say it but the Sunfish, Elephant Toe and even the #25 to some degree have what I see as caricatures of my favorite blades IE too fat for the length.
wildcat

Post by wildcat »

one thing i would like to see is a little more radius on the tangs. the moose i just got is a real nail buster. :evil:
God prefers spiritual fruit, not religious nuts. Galations 5:22~
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Regardless of what ever blade configuration or design they choose I hope GEC keeps using the grade of steel that they have been in their blades. I have a Northfield big jack that has some of the best 1095 carbon steel blades that I've ever used. The blades on my jack weren't very sharp from the factory but, they took a very sharp edge and have held it. The blades are still so sharp that if I make a mistake on closing them with those strong back springs, I can count the finger(s) that get in the way as gone. :shock: They have to be using Timex steel, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The steel in my jack knife has really surprised me after coming from the factory not very sharp. I thought for sure the blade steel wouldn't be any good but, boy was I wrong. I don't think I've heard anyone say they have ever had a problem with the 1095 carbon steel blades that GEC uses.

Aimus
Jingler

Post by Jingler »

Wow! I guess I am one of a possible few who likes the 3" knives. Personally I don't need a "big" knife for my work. The smaller ones that measure 3 3/8" down to 2 7/8" (like my Remington) work just fine for me. What I would like to see more of from GEC are pen patterns with clip, and short sturdy pen blades in these sizes. The GEC Barlow pattern (which I don't have yet) sure looks yummy! :D
tomcrx

Post by tomcrx »

I agree with TM man on the Congress.. It needs a large spear or pen blade

Muskrat with large clip + turkish or california clip

Big Jack with large clip and true wharncliffe

Teardrop EZ-Open Jack (3-5/8 to 4-1/4) with large spear small pen

More Cubans :wink: I love that pattern

I think their 23 frame took off and became popular because of the price point <$70. I find it way to small.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”