Show off your favorite GECs!

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: Show off your favorite GECs!

Post by kootenay joe »

Q, the zenith of the cutler's art was acheived in Sheffield now over 100 years ago. This is not my claim. There are thousands of knife collectors who know this. There is no debate anywhere among experienced collectors.
There is a stunning book you can buy for under $40 "Sheffield Exhibition Knives" by Claussen, Watts, McMickle.
Actually many of the knives shown are not from exhibitions but were available for purchase by wealthy Brits. It is from a time when Britain had stolen the wealth of countries worldwide and was a wealthy and highly skilled nation. The knives reflect this beautifully just as being in the Tower of London and seeing the Crown Jewels shows you what Monarchy was.
If you buy the above book and do not like it, i will buy it off you for double what you paid. You will be amazed at how clunky GEC knives are in comparison
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm definitely intrigued. However, it will require more than a book to convince me; I would need to experience these Sheffield Uber knives in person to be fully convinced. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I have seen/held some truly superlative custom knives in person that left me awestruck by their level of quality, precision engineering, materials, innovative design, etc. (I'm not talking about modern production knives like GEC). Call me a doubting Thomas; but, until I actually see an example of the ostensibly superior Sheffield knife in person, I will have a hard time conceiving of such a creation. Nevertheless, I'll try to get my hands on a copy of the book anyway; it sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the reference.

I know you have a pretty amazing, vast and varied knife collection, kj, does it happen to include any Sheffield knives that would support the multiple experts' claims (and every experienced collector's undisputed knowledge) of pre-WW I Sheffield cutlery ultimate superiority?

~Q~

PS How exactly does a collector become officially recognized as "experienced"? Is there a written exam for that?
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

25 Barlow is one of them
Attachments
WP_20171214_004.jpg
WP_20171214_011.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

QT, i had one Sheffield knife that is shown on pg 212, upper left of Sheffield Exhibition Knives, an ivory Multiblade made ~ 1906. I have never felt anything like it, in hand or in smoothness of opening, including the Tony Bose knife i also owned. Sold it for $3000 to a well known collector. The knife is absolutely true 100% MINT and i worried excessively that it would tarnish while i was it's custodian so i 'passed it along'.
Get "Sheffield Exhibition Knives". It is stunning. You will never regret spending the $40 for a very high end book as far as photography and binding go. I would not recommend something if i was not convinced it would amaze the buyer.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Ivoryman wrote:25 Barlow is one of them
Can't blame you. I nearly returned this polished stag model because of a bit of an issue with F&F on the pile side, but I kept it as a user and it's really become a favorite.
36407576910_0634708f96_k.jpg
My favorite stag GEC so far is this Speaker Jack with the knobbiest, fattest stag of any GEC I"ve handled. I love the way it looks but it doesn't get much carry because of that thickness. It will barely sit still on one side... :lol:
25322830187_660f852fc3_k.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That's a whopper Tony! I nabbed this slim 35. She's getting lots of totin time.
Attachments
20180210_204457.jpg
20180210_204556.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

kootenay joe wrote:QT, i had one Sheffield knife that is shown on pg 212, upper left of Sheffield Exhibition Knives, an ivory Multiblade made ~ 1906. I have never felt anything like it, in hand or in smoothness of opening, including the Tony Bose knife i also owned. Sold it for $3000 to a well known collector. The knife is absolutely true 100% MINT and i worried excessively that it would tarnish while i was it's custodian so i 'passed it along'.
Get "Sheffield Exhibition Knives". It is stunning. You will never regret spending the $40 for a very high end book as far as photography and binding go. I would not recommend something if i was not convinced it would amaze the buyer.
kj
I actually found a copy for sale online for $13.04 (https://www.wildbillwholesale.com/sheff ... over-book/). But, I have placed a request with my state library system to send me its one and only copy from one of the neighbor islands. I'll pick it up from my local library branch on Monday. I am really looking forward to reading it. If I like it, I'll probably buy a copy for my personal library. The one downside that I can foresee is that if it does in fact convince me of the superiority of pre-WW 1 Sheffield knives, I may have to re-think my entire knife collecting focus & strategy. And, based on your previous ownership experience, I don't think I could afford to collect early Sheffield knives even if I were able to find any for sale. Thanks a lot, man...Tantalus much?

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Collectible knives" covers a vast array of knives, literally millions of knives and the best Sheffield ones, folders & fixed blades are still considered to be the finest examples of cutlery. Good ones are hard to find because they rarely exit their storage safe. Ebay is not a good source. Knife shows and word of mouth eventually will give you some opportunities. All the knives shown in this book are in USA. There is a story behind how they got here (well, "there" for me in Canada).
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Newest stag.
40215462811_ae9332aae9_k.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Ivoryman wrote:25 Barlow is one of them
Can't blame you. I nearly returned this polished stag model because of a bit of an issue with F&F on the pile side, but I kept it as a user and it's really become a favorite."

Hey, Bomba, that's a beauty little 25 man, love those. Get why it's a favorite completely. Sorry to hear there's an issue, what would that be if you don't mind me asking? Out of twenty or so GECs I"ve had, two had issues that broke the deal. If you count the dozen or so Northwoods I've had with zero issues, then it's still only about 5% and one of those was insignificant enough I lived with it so that cuts it to about 2-3%. I would say 50% of all the Queens I"ve had choked. Maybe 10% of the Case stuff. How about you, how many GECs that were sub par to you? I like hearing what others think about similar issues. Thanks again for the compliment, and yours looks great, don't know about the issues.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The only real issue was the way the pile side stag was hafted. There's a noticeable lip from the bolster to the stag as this photo shows:
35969716754_0c3346bd52_h.jpg
At the time, I was pretty upset because the 25s sell out so quickly and there was simply no chance of finding a replacement knife easily. I figured for the premium cost of the polished stag NF version I should be getting a "perfect" knife. But, over time, I came to feel like the issue was minor and almost negligible in hand, plus the knife is a real looker and it is mechanically sound.

At this point I'm glad I held onto it. This is the first GEC that gave me cause to return it. I didn't even mind the perception of the 35 Churchill having weak snap - to me it engages just fine both closing and opening. Not every knife needs to snap like a gator from 49 degrees closed (I collect Barlows, if I want powerful snapI can just grab one of my old Queens).

I think I have upwards of 30 GECs at this point so the overall percentage is very low.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Great review, nice to see other people's experience, and thanks for the answers. I would guess our percentages are pretty close or in the ballpark.

This one just came and has no issues like most GEC I get. Sweet grip and great blonde look. I love it already. The pattern is sweet. Great size, great thin, sexy curves, great action, snap, lock up. The bolsters scuff just by looking at them though. Brushed finish scuffs like nothing else. But I can let that slide because it still looks cool and rugged minimalistic like. Very nice for the price I paid. And now they are sold out, went the first day, so they must be popular. Clam happy with it.
Attachments
WP_20180212_058.jpg
WP_20180212_066.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The 56 sure is a nice size. I'm liking the micarta model more than I thought I would. I opted for the mustard jigged bone 2-blade. I think it has a classic look to it, especially with the bomb shield.
26305494028_29335d24fe_o.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tony, I was sore tempted by that bottle of mustard but was hanging on for the two blade Stag. Changed my mind on that but couldn't resist the Smooth Appaloosa Bone when it was released today. Managed to grab the last one over at Risners. I shouldn't have done that but the devil made me do it. Rice and beans again this month.
Attachments
GEC 562218 Bird Dog UN-X-LD Smooth Appaloosa Bone.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Tsar Bomba wrote:The 56 sure is a nice size. I'm liking the micarta model more than I thought I would. I opted for the mustard jigged bone 2-blade. I think it has a classic look to it, especially with the bomb shield.

26305494028_29335d24fe_o.jpg
Great looker there, it was a hard call between mustard and micarta. Like the bomb shield too. Beauties, and so thin and liking the no half stops.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here are a couple I have picked up recently. The Ebony single blade 78 is without a doubt one of the best made and most flawless knives I have acquired lately with a half stop and superb snap. The 56 has some excellent stag for a change but the blade operation on the main is a bit crotchity.
Attachments
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
005.JPG
002.JPG
012.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg, have you heard of other ebony 78's that also get very high praise ? Even the 2 blade ?
Yours is a Northfield. I have seen Tidioute with ebony. I wonder if these are also exceptionally well fitted & finished ?
I really like black ebony so i will try to find one of these. But there are potentially 4 to choose from: single or double blade ? and N. or T. ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Greg, have you heard of other ebony 78's that also get very high praise ? Even the 2 blade ?
Yours is a Northfield. I have seen Tidioute with ebony. I wonder if these are also exceptionally well fitted & finished ?
I really like black ebony so i will try to find one of these. But there are potentially 4 to choose from: single or double blade ? and N. or T. ?
kj
Roland from what I've seen the 78's in all of their configurations were a pretty good run with some High praise specifically for the single blade model
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. I got so excited reading your praise for the 78 i forgot to look at the Dogleg Jack. Wow, it has The Best Stag i have seen on this knife; bolster to bolster Stag and, Slender !, both sides evenly slender. Greg without doubt you have The Best Stag handled # 56.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks. I got so excited reading your praise for the 78 i forgot to look at the Dogleg Jack. Wow, it has The Best Stag i have seen on this knife; bolster to bolster Stag and, Slender !, both sides evenly slender. Greg without doubt you have The Best Stag handled # 56.
kj
Thanks Roland! That one came from Knife Connection, I was pretty excited when I saw it.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Two really nice knives you got there Greg. The stag on your 56 is looks great, ya knew how to pick a good one from the looks of it. ::tu::
Greg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

sunknife wrote:Two really nice knives you got there Greg. The stag on your 56 is looks great, ya knew how to pick a good one from the looks of it. ::tu::
Thanks Greg! I wish they would make more like that with the bark bolster to bolster and very thin. That just looks so much more appealing to my eye.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Great pair gsmith, very good looking knives. For whatever it's worth I picked up two Tidioutes and two Northfields in the 78. Every one is perfect in every way: build, finishing, snap, action, centering, transitions, workings, plus beautiful bones and stag on that run. Zero issues. Nabbed two 56s and the one has weak snap and the swedge is off a bit, but otherwise nice. Great to hear others and their experience with the same patterns. Thanks. GEC might fix that crotchety action if you send it in, I don't know.
Attachments
WP_20180111_027.jpg
WP_20180119_059.jpg
WP_20180122_050.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ivoryman, thanks for posting info on the 78's.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

You're welcome any time, glad it was helpful. Great pattern for certain.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”