Schrade Walden Blade

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
Nev52

Schrade Walden Blade

Post by Nev52 »

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question. If it is wrong, please move it.
Will a blade from a Schrade 25ot fit a Schrade Walden 225H?

Thanks Nev
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade Walden Blade

Post by Jeffinn »

The 25ot,125ot and 225ot blades are all the same size and profile. The tangs are also identical. I’ve put the 225ot blades into the Schrade Walden 225h without issues so the 25OT will fit into that frame.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Jeffinn wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:07 am The 25ot,125ot and 225ot blades are all the same size and profile. The tangs are also identical. I’ve put the 225ot blades into the Schrade Walden 225h without issues so the 25OT will fit into that frame.
Jeff
Thanks Jeff,
You are the Man. ::handshake::
Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Jeff,
One more question. When you do away with the Swinden key do you fill the hole with solder? I was thinking about filling it with JB weld. I have used it on car transmission and heavy equipment repairs. That way I don't have to wrap the handles in wet rags to protect them. Just a thought.

Nev
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Nev52 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:54 am Jeff,
One more question. When you do away with the Swinden key do you fill the hole with solder? I was thinking about filling it with JB weld. I have used it on car transmission and heavy equipment repairs. That way I don't have to wrap the handles in wet rags to protect them. Just a thought.

Nev
You can use solder or something else, or nothing. Really the only thing that holds things in place is the pin itself, so IMO doesn't matter if you fill the bolster. I do use solder, but most of the time I'm replacing covers anyway, so heat doesn't matter to me.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Nev52 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:54 am Jeff,

Nev
You can fill it if you want but I never do.
I learned to replace Swinden keys by watching a muskrat man video about the process and since he didn’t fill the hole with anything I don’t either.
Even though the bolsters are hollow, they’re still plenty sturdy for taking a pin.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you, Glenn, And Jeff,for your response. I was thinking also why it has to be filled the pin is supported by both bolsters. The swinden key is only supported by the slot. One of the books I have said to fill the hole with solder and drill out. One thing I have learned over the years of working on equipment. There is more than one way to repair something. So, I figured I would ask people that do the repairs all the time. ::handshake:: ::tu::

Regards
Nev
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Jeff & Glenn are right; you can fill the hole or not. It doesn't seem to make a difference so I don't fill them. I don't think I have filled a Swinden key hole in 15 years or more, and have had no failures because of it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Just a side thought; It is my impression that the tail or cap end of those folding hunters is Swinden construction, but the blade pivot end is pinned. Also, I am guessing that all the Uncle Henry folding hunter blades are also interchangeable with the Old Timer hunters? And the pre-Delrin hunters (rare!) have no Swinden construction at all, because they debuted about the same time?
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I think you are right Cal.
I think all the Folding Hunters made by Schrade are the same blade size.
SO... I guess that makes the 225H the same also?

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you all for the information. ::handshake::

Nev
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

tongueriver wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:00 pm Just a side thought; It is my impression that the tail or cap end of those folding hunters is Swinden construction, but the blade pivot end is pinned. Also, I am guessing that all the Uncle Henry folding hunter blades are also interchangeable with the Old Timer hunters? And the pre-Delrin hunters (rare!) have no Swinden construction at all, because they debuted about the same time?
The one I did was opposite: the blade pivot had a Swinden key, and the end bolster was pinned from the factory.
I wonder if they made them differently at different times.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I looked at several and you are correct, Reverand. I had it backward, as usual. ::facepalm:: But there is a twist to the story. The 225OT (the one with a sawblade secondary) is pinned at the pivot end.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have only taken one of those apart, so I could not say with any certainty that any others were made that way! Thanks for the confirmation.
And thanks for the tip on the 225OT. I have not seen one of those before.

And, to Nev52, I never have filled in the bolsters when converting a Swinden-key knife to a through-pin. I only drilled the bolsters and pinned them, like in Muskrat Man's video. Works great!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Reverand wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:56 am
And thanks for the tip on the 225OT. I have not seen one of those before.

Here is the 225OT.... The main blade is closed so the secondary saw blade is out there...

225 OT 2 sonofagun.JPG

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Can I put a 225OT saw on the back spring of a skinner blade or will I need to source a saw back spring also? I can get the saws for a couple of bucks each, but the other bits (locking liners and back springs) are unobtanium.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

The saw blade "hangs off" the end of the frame a little (when closed) in order to have a way to open the blade.

225 OT 1 sonofagun.JPG

That is a definite mod you would have to do in order for the saw blade to close.
The liner lock goes with the saw blade to keep it from closing on you when sawing.

225 OT Son of a Gun.JPG
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

You would need the backspring and liner. I don’t see any way that you could do it off of one spring.
Jeff
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Jeffinn wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:26 pm You would need the backspring and liner. I don’t see any way that you could do it off of one spring.
Jeff
I don't think he wants to use all three blades, just replace the 'skinner' secondary; in other words make a new 225OT out of a 25OT.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:15 pm
Jeffinn wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:26 pm You would need the backspring and liner. I don’t see any way that you could do it off of one spring.
Jeff
I don't think he wants to use all three blades, just replace the 'skinner' secondary; in other words make a new 225OT out of a 25OT.
Yep, that's exactly my plan--use a 25OT (or related pattern as the basis--hopefully I can get one a little bit cheaper by finding one with a damaged skinner blade) and replace the skinner blade with a saw, thus making it a 225OT.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:22 am
Yep, that's exactly my plan--use a 25OT (or related pattern as the basis--hopefully I can get one a little bit cheaper by finding one with a damaged skinner blade) and replace the skinner blade with a saw, thus making it a 225OT.
That is a good plan. You can find those occasionally. I don't have one right now or I would send it to you.

Good luck with the hunt!

Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I got the 25ot on Friday and replaced the blade with a 225ot. It had the swindle key. My 1st conversion to pin bolsters. It worked out great. I took the pictures of the key for my own knowledge. But thought I would post even through everybody has seen it before. Thank for looking: handshake::

Nev
key apart.jpg
pin in back.jpg
s key.jpg
Finnished knife.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Nev52 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:08 pm I got the 25ot on Friday and replaced the blade with a 225ot. It had the swindle key. My 1st conversion to pin bolsters. It worked out great. I took the pictures of the key for my own knowledge. But thought I would post even through everybody has seen it before. Thank for looking: handshake::

Nev
key apart.jpgpin in back.jpgs key.jpgFinnished knife.jpg
Great save! ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Oh, yeah!
Jesus is life.