Feathers

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Feathers

Post by glennbad »

I have some feathers that I have collected from the yard over the years. I don't know what they are, maybe hawk or falcon, and I think crow/raven.
feathers.jpg

No trade necessary. If you want them, hit me up, no charge.
Airborne 1

Re: Feathers

Post by Airborne 1 »

The big ones are from a Red tailed hawk. the black ones are from a crow or raven (depends on where your from). The Red tail is also called a chicken hawk, once again it depends on where your from.
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Airborne 1 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:15 am The big ones are from a Red tailed hawk. the black ones are from a crow or raven (depends on where your from). The Red tail is also called a chicken hawk, once again it depends on where your from.
Thanks for that info!
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

glennbad wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:12 am I have some feathers that I have collected from the yard over the years. I don't know what they are, maybe hawk or falcon, and I think crow/raven.

feathers.jpg

No trade necessary. If you want them, hit me up, no charge.
You might want to research Federal laws & regulations regarding the legality of their possession. I'm not being judgmental, just trying to possibly save someone from problems.
geocash
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

geocash wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:45 am You might want to research Federal laws & regulations regarding the legality of their possession. I'm not being judgmental, just trying to possibly save someone from problems.
Yep, I hate to say this BUT.... as I understand it, it is illegal to posses even a feather of a protected species.
Yes, it's stupid and maybe they have relaxed the regs a little BUT the dang game wardens around here don't have a sense of humor.....

:shock:
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's wacky, but I guess those laws are in place for a reason. didn't consider that.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Can anyone identify or comment on this one? Red Tail?

IMG_4067.jpg
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

Looks like its from a youngster. I didn't think the red tail was on the ESL but I could be wrong,the fines are pretty heavy if they are, but if you found them on the ground they should let it slide. Worth checking out to see. Better safe than sorry.
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

Airborne 1 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:17 pm Looks like its from a youngster. I didn't think the red tail was on the ESL but I could be wrong,the fines are pretty heavy if they are, but if you found them on the ground they should let it slide. Worth checking out to see. Better safe than sorry.
Law enforcement officers usually have no way of telling how the feather, or any other body part, was obtained, so they are required to assume the worst. If everyone was honest, law enforcement would be much easier. But, they aren't & no other way has been figured out to make the laws effective. That's the way an LEO explained it to me.
geocash
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Pretty certain those are turkey feathers....
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:05 pm Can anyone identify or comment on this one? Red Tail?

IMG_4067.jpg
owl breast feather would be my guess
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”