My 1" X 42" Delta Belt Sander Died

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My 1" X 42" Delta Belt Sander Died

Post by orvet »

My old Delta belt sander with the cast iron frame finally let loose after about 15 years of use. I think it can be repaired but I didn't have the time right now to disassemble it and put a new bearing in it. I happened to look at a flyer I had received from Grizzly Machinery and they had the 1 x 42 sander on sale for $219, $90 off the regular price. Although it did cost me 22 or $23 to have it shipped.
The Grizzly 1 x 42 sander appears to be identical to my Delta and its cast-iron construction and the placement of the sanding belt and the 8 inch disk sander. I tried to post Sunday about this, but for some reason my post dropped off or more likely I didn't enter it properly.

I will update you guys when I get it set up and how I like it. It's supposed to be here tomorrow.
New toy for my shop! ::ds::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cudgee

Re: My 1" X 42" Delta Belt Sander Died

Post by cudgee »

We are just kids at heart, and always love a new toy. ::groove:: :D
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Amen Mate. It's always lots of fun to add a new piece of equipment to the shop. Let us know how she goes, when you get her setup.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wonderful. Do let us know how it does. I’ve been looking for something similar myself.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have one. Anyone want to offer me $10,000 for it? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:18 am I have one. Anyone want to offer me $10,000 for it? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
D4E6FB8F-A4E5-43D3-98E8-F87CF340FC30.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Colonel26 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:17 am
jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:18 am I have one. Anyone want to offer me $10,000 for it? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
D4E6FB8F-A4E5-43D3-98E8-F87CF340FC30.jpeg
This is a common theme amongst the knife accumulating fraternity. :lol:
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Ooh, a new toy! Always fun to get another machine for the shop. I hope to get my 2 x 72 finished sometime in the near future. That'll be a game changer, I suppose.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Ah-Ha! It sounds like another victim of the disposable economy. You *could* have repaired the old one, but buying a new one was just too darn cheap & easy.

And - I'm just yanking your chain - I would have done EXACTLY the same thing. I'm just pointing out that us humans are a very predictable species - at the end of the day, we ALMOST always choose the path of least resistance. I look at it this way - it seems to have worked for our species so far... :lol:

I don't have a bench belt sander, but I sure wish I did. Of course, if I did, I would have nowhere to put it! My shop area is already jammed full of junk I needed once, couldn't find, so I went and bought another one, then found the old one...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

glennbad wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:12 pm ..... I hope to get my 2 x 72 finished sometime in the near future. That'll be a game changer, I suppose.
Same here.... The spot I have designated for the 2x72 on the bench is a little crowded right now.....
My pack rat-ism is taking over again.....
"get on away from here.... you ole sorry rat!"

::facepalm::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Make sure any new tools/equipment " TOYS " are posted here, we all want to see them, mostly for reasons of envy. :lol:
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

cudgee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:27 pm Make sure any new tools/equipment " TOYS " are posted here, we all want to see them, mostly for reasons of envy. :lol:
When those guys show us their new tool/toys they will need a big towel to wipe the drool off them.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:18 am
cudgee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:27 pm Make sure any new tools/equipment " TOYS " are posted here, we all want to see them, mostly for reasons of envy. :lol:
When those guys show us their new tool/toys they will need a big towel to wipe the drool off them.
Exactamundo. ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The box was finally delivered this evening via UPS. I will get some pictures of the box and post them.

:mrgreen:

And then I will take it out of the box oh, perhaps I can do a play-by-play analysis of my new belt sander. Might as well have a play-by-play analysis of something there aren't any sports to watch! I'm having real trouble getting into baseball with cardboard cutouts in the stands!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

orvet wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:01 am The box was finally delivered this evening via UPS. I will get some pictures of the box and post them.

:mrgreen:

And then I will take it out of the box oh, perhaps I can do a play-by-play analysis of my new belt sander. Might as well have a play-by-play analysis of something there aren't any sports to watch! I'm having real trouble getting into baseball with cardboard cutouts in the stands!
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

orvet wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:01 am I'm having real trouble getting into baseball with cardboard cutouts in the stands!
Then you should be watching the Cubs if you can get the games. They don't have any cardboard fans in the stands. They do transmit a muted crowd noise but it is just a bit louder than pure silence.

As far as your new sander, I hope it works out for you. Several years back (read that a lot of years back) when I was accumulating shop tools I gave some serious consideration to Grizzly. Never pulled the trigger but thought about it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I'm sure it'll be a great one Dale. A friend of mine has a Grizzly cabinet table saw with a 3hp motor that's a beast! It's a good saw.
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

orvet wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:45 am My old Delta belt sander with the cast iron frame finally let loose after about 15 years of use. I think it can be repaired but I didn't have the time right now to disassemble it and put a new bearing in it. I happened to look at a flyer I had received from Grizzly Machinery and they had the 1 x 42 sander on sale for $219, $90 off the regular price. Although it did cost me 22 or $23 to have it shipped.
The Grizzly 1 x 42 sander appears to be identical to my Delta and its cast-iron construction and the placement of the sanding belt and the 8 inch disk sander. I tried to post Sunday about this, but for some reason my post dropped off or more likely I didn't enter it properly.

I will update you guys when I get it set up and how I like it. It's supposed to be here tomorrow.
New toy for my shop! ::ds::
...........dale, it wasn't supposed to quit!!...........I drew some of the parts drawings for it when I worked there as a draftsman-1956-1978!!.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ................................
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

carrmillus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:17 pm
...........dale, it wasn't supposed to quit!!...........I drew some of the parts drawings for it when I worked there as a draftsman-1956-1978!!.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ................................
Well, it's only got 15 years on it and it's just a bearing that went out. I will fix it up with the new bearing and it will be good as new. Then I will have a second 1 X 42 in my shop. Then, maybe I will sell one, because I actually have a third one down to my dad's place that I'm letting him use because I really don't have room for it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Sorry it's taken me so long to get these pictures of guys, it's been a very busy week and it seems like all I was doing was putting out fires cell phone issues (on my third new cell phone in five weeks. Customer service at T-Mobile has been good). And then life always has its issues and unfortunately so did the new Grizzly belt sander, but I will say their customer service was excellent! More about that later.

I tried to give you blow-by-blow pictures to give you some idea of what it's like to set up a new sander. I just kind of hit the high points because I didn't have time to do a video or a real in-depth tutorial.
I had purchased my Delta locally about 15 years ago so it was already assembled when I bought it. I have had various parts of the Delta apart over the years and I'm familiar with the layout, though some of the parts are different on the Grizzly than they are on the Delta, I was to discover much to my chagrin.
Grizzly - 1.jpg
#1 – The box has arrived, 65 pounds of Grizzly 1 x 42 Sander
Grizzly - 2.jpg
#2 – Top layer.
Grizzly - 3.jpg
#3 – Its new resting place, right where the old one set.
Grizzly - 4.jpg
#4 – unloading the top tray of parts
Grizzly - 5.jpg
#5 – Second layer, bottom of the base of the machine
Grizzly - 6.jpg
#6 – The belt housing assembly
Grizzly - 7.jpg
#7 – The backside of the belt housing assembly.
Grizzly - 8.jpg
#8 – Getting everything to bolt the two assemblies together
Grizzly - 9.jpg
#9 – The two main components bolted into place without guards.
Grizzly - 10.jpg
#10 – A casting problem with the upper idler wheel. A sharp edge sprue or something from the casting process that sticks up about .070". That will chew up the J weight belt in no time at all and the heavy belt just a little slower.
Grizzly - 11.jpg
#11 – I always use some graphite cloth on the platens of my belt sanders. However the schematic for this Grizzly call so they built support. Regardless, some of the graphite treated cloth glued down with some tacky glue softens the support behind the belt and helps prevent chatter of the workpiece and also extends life of the belt.
Grizzly - 12.jpg
#12 – Setting up the disk Sander and making sure the table is perpendicular to the disk.
Grizzly - 13.jpg
#13 – The finished sander as I set it up for the test run.

I am going to close this post make another post world detailing some of the issues I encountered setting up this machine.
Nothing really major, just time-consuming.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I chose the Grizzly 1 x 42 sander because it seemed to have the same cast iron frame that my Delta sander had. My Delta sander had a bearing go out on the shaft that drives the belt. It makes sense it would go out because it's the one that receives the most stress - connecting the motor and the sanding belt. When the bearing in the Delta went out the squalling noise was unbearable. They are sealed bearings so I was not able to get any oil or grease into them and I stopped using it before I completely burn something up. Bearings are usually pretty easy to find but machined driveshafts are frequently not.

I put the Grizzly together and use their heavyweight 80 grit belt to give it a trial run. I felt it was louder than my Delta (before the bearing started going out) and it was definitely not as smooth, there was a lot of vibration in the new machine.

I really needed to get a 1 x 42 working because that's what I use to sharpen knives, especially kitchen knives and my wife has a pile of them for me to sharpen. I took the top idler wheel off of my Delta and put it on the Grizzly. It fit but the tracking was off, it would not adjust far enough to bring the belt fully on to the idler wheel. I noticed the tracking for the belt was a little bit difficult to turn. I took it apart and checked it out. The tracking bracket is made of cast iron and someone had buggered up the threads in the tracking bracket that the adjustment knob screwed into.
I also removed the bearing from the idler wheel and discovered that the bearing was pressed in the plastic or the plastic wheel was molded around the bearing I'm not sure which. There was no way to get the bearing back into the plastic wheel without possibly breaking it.
I was also missing a tiny little pointer that indicated the angle of the table on the disk sander.

I talked to the gentleman in the customer service department at Grizzly on Saturday, he checked his computer and found all the pieces I needed were in stock and he would send them out on Monday. Instead of sending a bearing and a tracking bracket he is sending the entire assembly which I thought was very decent of him.

I will wait until I get this Grizzly set up the way that I like and get the new parts installed before a pass judgment on it. I think it's a good basic machine and I think with the 8 inch disk sander it makes a very good price to value ratio for the dollar conscious knife mechanic.

I'll be happy to answer questions as best I can. My parts are supposed to be mailed on Monday so it will be a few days before have it running properly.
Feel free to ask questions, I'll answer as best I can.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That looks like a dandy belt sander, Dale! What I find amazing is that you have that much available bench space. ::uc:: :lol:
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That only because I took everything off the table and put it on my work benches.
To make you feel better Glenn I will post a picture of the benches. :D
Dale
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

And you didn't consider a Jet or was a Jet too expensive?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:06 pm And you didn't consider a Jet or was a Jet too expensive?
I didn't see the Jet until you mentioned it. I looked it up online and looked at a breakdown of it and it appears to be a direct drive not a belt drive, and I think that would be a very good system. It's a couple hundred dollars more but it'll probably last twice as long as the belt drive version. It's also probably much smoother and much quieter. I may have to go check it my local Jet dealer and see if he has one. It looks like the bomb! ::nod:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”