My 1" X 42" Delta Belt Sander Died

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My 1" X 42" Delta Belt Sander Died

Post by jerryd6818 »

I considered buying a Jet in the mid '90s but went with the old familiar Delta brand. I've never been sorry. Unfortunately, it appears that Delta doesn't make that one anymore.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

No, but that Delta is repairable I believe. I think it's just the bearing on the shaft that drives the sanding belt. Probably a $10 sealed bearing in a little bit of work.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

orvet wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:49 am I chose the Grizzly 1 x 42 sander because it seemed to have the same cast iron frame that my Delta sander had. My Delta sander had a bearing go out on the shaft that drives the belt. It makes sense it would go out because it's the one that receives the most stress - connecting the motor and the sanding belt. When the bearing in the Delta went out the squalling noise was unbearable. They are sealed bearings so I was not able to get any oil or grease into them and I stopped using it before I completely burn something up. Bearings are usually pretty easy to find but machined driveshafts are frequently not.

I put the Grizzly together and use their heavyweight 80 grit belt to give it a trial run. I felt it was louder than my Delta (before the bearing started going out) and it was definitely not as smooth, there was a lot of vibration in the new machine.

I really needed to get a 1 x 42 working because that's what I use to sharpen knives, especially kitchen knives and my wife has a pile of them for me to sharpen. I took the top idler wheel off of my Delta and put it on the Grizzly. It fit but the tracking was off, it would not adjust far enough to bring the belt fully on to the idler wheel. I noticed the tracking for the belt was a little bit difficult to turn. I took it apart and checked it out. The tracking bracket is made of cast iron and someone had buggered up the threads in the tracking bracket that the adjustment knob screwed into.
I also removed the bearing from the idler wheel and discovered that the bearing was pressed in the plastic or the plastic wheel was molded around the bearing I'm not sure which. There was no way to get the bearing back into the plastic wheel without possibly breaking it.
I was also missing a tiny little pointer that indicated the angle of the table on the disk sander.

I talked to the gentleman in the customer service department at Grizzly on Saturday, he checked his computer and found all the pieces I needed were in stock and he would send them out on Monday. Instead of sending a bearing and a tracking bracket he is sending the entire assembly which I thought was very decent of him.

I will wait until I get this Grizzly set up the way that I like and get the new parts installed before a pass judgment on it. I think it's a good basic machine and I think with the 8 inch disk sander it makes a very good price to value ratio for the dollar conscious knife mechanic.

I'll be happy to answer questions as best I can. My parts are supposed to be mailed on Monday so it will be a few days before have it running properly.
Feel free to ask questions, I'll answer as best I can.
Does sound like good customer service, sadly lacking in a lot of companies in todays world, but the customer service you talk about sounds good. ::ds::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Have you been able to get things going with your grinder, Dale? Curious how it is treating you.

I have finally got my 2 x 72 NWG built and running. I still have a lot of adjusting and tweaking to do, but I feel like I'm getting closer to putting this thing into regular use.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Sorry Glenn, I forget to keep up with this. I'm trying to make some room in my shop and get rid of some of the junk that doesn't need to be there so that I can spend more time working instead of moving things so I have a place to put something I just worked on only to spend hours later on looking for the thing I had hidden from myself.. I'm making progress on the shop clean up though.

When I first got the the replacement parts in for the Grizzly 2 x 72 and got them installed I didn't like the vibration in the machine. So I did some adjusting and some dialing down on it and I still wasn't really happy with it. But the first time I used the Disc Sander on it I knew something wasn't right. I had a loose set screw that was causing the vibration. Now that I've got it all set up properly and tighten down I think it is an improvement over my old Delta. Hopefully the extra bearings the guy from the factory sent me will fit my Delta and I can get them both up and running. It would be handy to have one set up exclusively for sharpening. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....the pictures sure brought back some memories!!!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”