Western blades

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Western blades

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have come into a supply of blades for Western pocket knives for a very reasonable price (like free) that I will never be able to use up in several lifetimes. If any of you knife mechanics are in need of something like this, PM me.
IMG_3740.JPG
From left:
Marked Western USA M on mark side, Stainless 381 on pile side, 2 11/16" overall length, not beveled or sharpened, so basically a blade blank. Tang hole is for a 3/32" pin. I have 31 of these!
Marked Western USA M mark side, Stainless W652 on pile side, 2 7/8" overall length, not beveled or sharpened, a blade blank. Tang hole is for a .086" pin. Have 3 of these.
Marked Western USA mark side, 6504E on pile side, 2 15/16" overall length, not beveled or sharpened, a blade blank. Tang hole is for a .086" pin. Have 3 of these.

NOTE: Two of these are marked "stainless", however they are all coated in light rust, so they may be mismarked? All will need to have the bevel ground on them.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
zzyzzogeton

Re: Western blades

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The "M" on the first two are date codes for 1989.

Still trying to track down a 6504E is. With a 4 digit model number on it, it is pre-1954. 1953 is when Western changed the model number structure to 3 digits.

The stainless steel that Coleman-Western used in the late 1980s was 440x, either 440A or 440C.

If improperly stored, e.g., wet, or in a damp environment, stainless will rust. "Stainless" doesn't mean rust free. It just means it will "stain less" than regular HC steel. :mrgreen:
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Western blades

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Thanks for your additional info on these.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”