Knife Repair Tools List

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Knife Repair Tools List

Post by orvet »

I thought it might be nice to start a thread about tools we use that make working on knives much easier.

This summer I lost my good pair of end cutters, end nippers, or what ever you wish to call them.
Having lots of arthritis in my hands so I really missed my good pair of end nippers as my backup pair, made by Boker USA are nowhere near as good as my old pair. My wife got sneaky this year at Christmas and gave me a $100 cash certificate to Salem Tool, a local independent tool store and my go to source for tools and abrasives locally. The reason I like the store, aside from the fact that it is independently owned is that they try to provide excellent quality at a decent price.

Normally I have no problem spending $100 or so at Salem tool, but when I walked in with the $100 gift certificate I had trouble deciding what I wanted to spend it on. I knew I needed a good pair of end nippers, so I ordered a pair of 8 inch M Klein end cutters. They were $54 and that was the most expensive pair they had. They also carry Knipex and their best end cutter was near $75US! I was tempted but knowing the quality of the M Klein pliers and other tools I have I went with them.

Long story short, I got my M Klein end cutters and use them this week. They went through 3/16 nickel silver like a hot knife through butter! I was very pleased, especially when there was no jarring slam when they cut through the pin stock. Even though I consider $54 to the a pretty hefty price for a good pair of end cutters, I am so pleased enough with them that if I lose this pair I will order new pair right away!
M Klein End-Cutters.jpg

ATTENTION KNIFE MECHANICS: Especially you old timers;
How about posting some of your favorite tools, even home made tools that work well. This might be a good way to share information with one another and provide a service to some of the new guys just starting out as knife mechanics.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
LanG

Re: Knife Repair Tools List

Post by LanG »

Great idea, and thank you for taking the time to make the post!
I enjoy reading about and seeing the results of the fine knife repairers on here, and am inspired by the results.
I'd love to have the ability to repair a loose blade, or restore a broken-down knife back to a working tool again.
Two things stop me- lack of skill, and lack of proper tools. Maybe this thread can eliminate one of those hurdles! ::tu::

What are your thoughts on this end cutter, Knipex 68 01 160?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KNIPEX-68-01-1 ... SwJs1ZwHgP

Also, if I may, what is the tools needed for a beginner to remove the old pins to take apart the knife?
Thanks in advance for any response(s).
Lan
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

LanG wrote:Also, if I may, what is the tools needed for a beginner to remove the old pins to take apart the knife.
You should get a copy of this book (KNIFE REPAIR & RESTORATION - by Adrian Harris) from Dales AAPK store - it's a wealth of knowledge on tools and techniques for only $10!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

I have a feeling this thread will need to be a sticky ::tu::

I love a good pair of end nippers but i have always used vintage ones, I like the compound kind since it makes the job a bit easier.

A set of flush cutters are nice to have around but my last pair broke and i hvent gotten around to orders a new pair.

Backspring compression device, priceless.

hammers are a must, I like a couple, one rough hammer for beating on stuff, and a polished face hammer or two for pin peening and operations where i dont want to mar any surfaces.

pin punches, you will break some, especially the thinner ones I finally made my own with replaceable tips

A Vise, a smaller one will do but a mid size one or a couple different ones is nice to have around

An anvil or stiddy of some sort is a must. I like a stiddy but if you don't plan on trying to peen scale pins on an assembled knife they are pretty much an unnecessary expense, you can get by with a couple chunks of steel large enough they won't bounce around when you hammer on it. I used a machinist vise for years as a vise, anvil and stiddy and it worked fine. A purpose made stiddy just simplifies things a bit.

Files, a hobbyist can get by with a few files, I suggest a 6" and/ or 8" mill file, a 6" slim taper triangle file, a chainsaw file or two and maybe a half round. I have dozens of files I use but I do a lot of filework and other specialty stuff that require them.

A scratch awl is indispensable for marking things.

Rotary tool, dremels work fine, used them for years, eventually upgraded to a foredom with foot control, excellent investment.

Then you have your bigger power tools that make things go much quicker, a belt sander, disk sander, drill press, band saw and buffer.

a Welder for specialized jobs
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
just bob

Post by just bob »

If someone is considering starting to repair knives I would suggest start slow. Kind of like deciding your going to start playing golf and buy a thousand dollar set of clubs that you sell in a rummage sale 6 months later because you have found golf just isn't your game. You can start knife repair with basic tools and supplies you can get at Harbor Freight or used on Craig's List. Wait at least 6 months before making major purchases. You may decide knife repair just isn't for you. The one book I really enjoyed and have looked at over and over again is the Goddard book on the $50 knife shop. He has a lot of great, inexpensive ideas on tools for heat treating etc. and he does it all on a shoe string. I loaned this book to a friend of mine at the knife club a year ago and he still has it. I'm going to have to find me another. Here is a link to the CD. There are a lot of these books out there.
As far as what I use the most now much of it has been listed above. A couple of things I would be lost without are the scotch brite beburr wheel on the grinder, Back spring decompressors, and a 5/0 pin reamer. I was shown the pin reamer early on and when you get used to using it you can ream holes to the size you want in a few seconds. I was breaking drill bits right and left and that gets expensive. If you have an exisiting hole the pin reamer pays for itself in no time - just buy a good one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wayne-Goddards ... xy4eJTPEh8
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

just bob wrote:If someone is considering starting to repair knives I would suggest start slow. Kind of like deciding your going to start playing golf and buy a thousand dollar set of clubs that you sell in a rummage sale 6 months later because you have found golf just isn't your game.
Very true Bob, however I have found from a lifetime of working with my hands, good tools make the job easier. If you can be patient, you're better off buying used high end tools at Harbor Freight prices. Flea markets and yard sales for the hand tools. Craig's list for the power tools. JMO, your mileage may vary (but I doubt it).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Nice Idea for a thread orvet ::tu::
Got to admit I am a 'tool junkie' ... like knives you just cannot have too many of them.
For anyone starting out at this caper I'd suggest get yourself some clamps all sorts & sizes ... and when you think you have enough ... get some more.
Also storage ... tins, tubs, boxes, whatever you can lay your hands on and label the outside - other wise you'll spend half your time looking for stuff.
This is my main work area...
DSCN4267.JPG
Also if you don't have it ... have a go at making it.... under all this is my Home made stiddy. Made from a small gauge railway track.
DSCN4186.JPG
@muskratman ... "Backspring compression device, priceless." Any chance of a pic or two?

Derek
PS the more observant may notice my knife pottering area is also my gun & reloading area. :D
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

@Brumby
Derek, here is one spring compression device:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10069&p=82961&hili ... ise#p82961
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Not necessarily a tool but Bandaids.....plenty of bandaids. Lol. Most of the tools I use have already been covered. Great thread! ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

@ orvet ... thanks for that link to the compression gizmo ... I do remember them now. At the time the vice I had wouldn't accommodate them... but I've since changed to a swivel vice that swings outside the edge of the bench ... Guess what I'll be making tomorrow :lol:
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Duct tape - lots of duct tape to cover surfaces that I do not want marred and sharp edges that I am not working on! Double sided duct tape to give a better grip on small pieces while I am sanding.
Mel
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Brumbydownunder wrote:@ orvet ... thanks for that link to the compression gizmo ... I do remember them now. At the time the vice I had wouldn't accommodate them... but I've since changed to a swivel vice that swings outside the edge of the bench ... Guess what I'll be making tomorrow :lol:
::tu:: ::tu:: I knew you were a man after my own heart! :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

stagnut

Post by stagnut »

At some point your going to have to cut steel and a metal cutting band saw imo is a must. I looked all over and couldnt find one for what I needed at a price I could live with. Last fall I got a set up from swag thats perfect for what I need. GOODBYE HACKSAW
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

It would be wonderful to have a band saw just for cutting metal, but I don't have the room for two band saws! I cut most thicker metal with a fiber cutting disc on a Dremel or a larger on a bench grinder.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

just bob

Post by just bob »

I saw them using these on Forged in Fire. I intend on selling my band saw and table saw and buying one of these. They wouldn't take up much room and would be handy for other things as well.

https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V40-Po ... _p_63.html
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
stagnut

Post by stagnut »

@orvet, the swag bandsaw is small. The table is maybe 1 foot square and the handheld bandsaw is also small if you had to make room it comes apart as easy as removing one bolt. They make a table that goes in a vise. They also make a table that goes on a truck bumper. Fits on the ball.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

IMAG0429.jpg
IMAG0428.jpg
A good tool box with easy access to tools is a must, in my opinion the first thing you need and often under estimated. Having everything in one place and together and knowing where everything is was taught to me by my father and oldest brother, he was a builder.
I bought this polishing and grinding kit as it was just so cheap[ $14US ] and useful, it has a polishing compound and is invaluable not just for knives but many other things around the house. ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

With bench space at a premium, I put this together some time back. It's just a simple portable bandsaw with some funky junk brackets I had. I mounted it on the wall, and made a ghetto table insert for it. It works great for what I need it for.
bandsaw.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Very creative Glenn! ::tu:: ::tu::
I love that Yankee ingenuity, it looks like a few of the things around my shop that I've put together! :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:39 pm
just bob wrote:If someone is considering starting to repair knives I would suggest start slow. Kind of like deciding your going to start playing golf and buy a thousand dollar set of clubs that you sell in a rummage sale 6 months later because you have found golf just isn't your game.
Very true Bob, however I have found from a lifetime of working with my hands, good tools make the job easier. If you can be patient, you're better off buying used high end tools at Harbor Freight prices. Flea markets and yard sales for the hand tools. Craig's list for the power tools. JMO, your mileage may vary (but I doubt it).
Thank you Bob and Jerry, for most sound advice.
::handshake::

I have much more thinking to do yet, even thou there's a big power tools sale on right now... :lol:
Other then a slow speed bench grinder, and maybe a belt sander, I think I'll stick to the basic tools for now.

But I won't waste money on cheap hand tools, learned that lesson from woodworking.
Like the saying goes, "Skill is in the hands, but you are only as good as your tools". Won't buy cheap china junk, luckily there are still many, many companies producing high quality tools, in Canada, US, Britain, Germany, ect. Taiwan aren't bad, especially for Jet, but for my precision work, I'm going with the best I can afford.
My work is worth that much to me. :)

In your humble opinions, fellow knife mechanics, what would be the best auto punch I can buy?
$ are no option, them rivets need a good reliable wacking.
:lol:

For most of my hand tools, I'm settling on Gray Canada.
http://www.graytools.com/home/
Many of their products, are still produced in they family owned factory, in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. And if not, they've outsourced to top quality makers in the USA, and Germany. And there prices are excellent, much better, then let's say, Snap-On.

And for the rest, I'm "mostly" going with Jet Canada. Imported from Taiwan, very good products for the money.
https://surewerx.com/ca/s/brand?languag ... &brand=JET

Whatcha think mates? Am I on the right track, for a newbie knife dude, or am I missing something? Please do share your opinions gents, me is all ears.
:D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I like simplicity, don't over complicate things, there is enough things that happen in life that are beyond out control so don't add to them. You are certainly on the right track. My dad who was a practical man who used to say buy the best tools you can afford, look after them and they will look after you. Sounds like you have good suppliers, and start with simple tasks and work. You will learn as you go, the best teacher is making mistakes, you won't make that mistake again, hopefully. ::dang:: ::tu:: :)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cudgee wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:02 am I like simplicity, don't over complicate things, there is enough things that happen in life that are beyond out control so don't add to them. You are certainly on the right track. My dad who was a practical man who used to say buy the best tools you can afford, look after them and they will look after you. Sounds like you have good suppliers, and start with simple tasks and work. You will learn as you go, the best teacher is making mistakes, you won't make that mistake again, hopefully. ::dang:: ::tu:: :)
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Ok mates, I'm kinda lost at this moment.
As we all know, the different tools, and the amount you can own, boggles the imagination.
With my fibro fog being the issue right now (you know what it's like Dale... :lol: ), I need a simple list/starting point, of the basic set of different to get me going in knife repair.
I know you need a hand drill, check. Assortment of files, check. Brass mallet, check. Drill bits, check. Sand paper, check. Steel wool, check. Assorted punches, check. Assorted sizes of hammers, check. Knife stiddy, check.
After this, what else would be the necessities of knife mechanic-ing?
I'm focusing on fixies right now, saves me from Dale's spring vise... :lol:
Any info, in simple terms, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks gents,
Winston Churchill

Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Belt sander. I use a 4x36", but I have some issues with it having a solid platen. I been looking at a 1x30" for under $100.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Reverand wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:29 pm Belt sander. I use a 4x36", but I have some issues with it having a solid platen. I been looking at a 1x30" for under $100.
Thank you for the Imput Rev, sir.

Been slowly reading you fellas opinions on sanders. I'm thinking, just pony up, and go with a 1/42" from the get go. I guess the biggest thing, with small sanders, is belt life. And having 12" more belt, makes sense.
That, along with a big combo machine, and slow speed bench grinder, is what I need to get going.
For a drill press, I'm looking at the used/auction market, for a big ole US/Can made machine.
There's a Chicago 16-speed coming up April 22nd, farm sale, have to go check it out when she warms up.
Winston Churchill

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”