Antlers and Horn

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
buddyie22

Antlers and Horn

Post by buddyie22 »

Picked these up a few days ago. Am going to use them for handles for pocket knives and fixed blade if they are of good enough quality? Would like some of the knives mechanics to chime in and give the there opinions on the looks , quality length etc as much as you can tell by the picture. Are there other options that can be made out of them( kind of new at this)? Maybe a video that is available to show how to cut, size,shape etc? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
Honey do you have your pocket knife ? Do I have my pants on?
buddyie22

Re: Antlers and Horn

Post by buddyie22 »

This post may be better in a different location to get better exposure, if necessary please move as needed thanks.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I move them to the Knife Mechanics Swap Forum this should get them seen by knife mechanics.

I would think that would be fine for handles depending on what you are trying to make from them. Are you doing handles for a tang knife or are you trying to cut slabs for pocketknives?

Do you know what kind of deer those antler are from?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
just bob

Post by just bob »

“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

Kind of in the dark as to what type of deer. Or small slabs (horn) given to as a gift. Not being familiar with the making of the handles for pocket knives I would guess the antlers would be better for fixed blade handles.Thanks Caleb for the link on the cutting of the I'm assuming cow bone. Thanks Overt for your reply.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The antlers look like they might be from the Roe Deer, a deer species found in Europe & western Asia.
Roe Deer.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

keithlong

Post by keithlong »

If you dcide not to use em for knife handles, I sure could make a few pens out of them. They look like whitetail antlers to me.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Buddy,
I was focused more on the antlers in the first picture comma what are the slabs you have in the second picture? It looks like it may be a mixture of materials there, perhaps some fossil ivory and some polished horn. Horn is different than antler or ivory but all three, horn, antler & ivory make great knife handles!

As for the length, it depends on how long the handle of the knife is that you're trying to replace. Most folding knife handles can be replaced with a piece of material that is 3-1/2" in length. Some handles are longer but some are shorter too.

It looks like you have some great material there in both pictures period I wouldn't hesitate to use it myself unless there is something wrong with it that I'm not seeing in the pictures. It looks like beautiful material to me.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

There's some great possibilities there.

Sorry about messin' with your pictures. It's my OCD kicking in again.
IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

To get a little more mileage from your pieces, you can install an insert piece of contrasting material somewhere on the handle to make use of shorter chunks/ slabs.
buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

IMG_0467.JPG
Thanks guys for the input. Orvert ,not sure what any of the slabs are. My daughter and family are in China serving under a mission board. Because of security reasons and the Chinese government there whereabouts and where they live is kept pretty close to the vest. We have had the opportunity to go over 3 times in the last 7 years. When we go I try to get to what the call a Bird and vegetable market.Pretty interesting what you can see over there. This one woman has a booth that she sells bone combs and brushes. As I got to looking I saw the flat bone etc and purchased a few of them. As for the antlers my daughter got those for me and brought them over when they came to the USA for leave.. This is a picture of the lady and the booth she runs.You can enlarge the photo and see what she sells.
IMG_0469.JPG
buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

Not sure why one pic is upside down and the other is right side up they came out of the same file. Deleted it attached it again and it did the same thing. When I tap the pic to increase it, it populates right side up. Do not know why sorry.

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”