Vintage micarta?

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
Rimfirekyle

Vintage micarta?

Post by Rimfirekyle »

Does anyone have any cool vintage micarta laying around? I'm a buyer! Thanks in advance!
Attachments
20211206_114134.jpg
FRJ

Re: Vintage micarta?

Post by FRJ »

At what year would you date "vintage" Micarta?
I thought it was all pretty new stuff but I am getting older.
Joe
eveled

Post by eveled »

Westinghouse made it over 100 years ago.
http://www.erickimberlin.com/old-micarta

I never knew they used it to make airplane propellers.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

According to google it was invented in 1910 by George Westinghouse so I bet there is a sheet or two laying around somewhere.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Not only am I old, I am also uninformed. ::facepalm::
Joe
eveled

Post by eveled »

You aren’t that old and definitely not as old as Micarta!

It wasn’t used for knife handles right away.

The earliest I’m aware of was Bo Randall on the Ward Gay model in 1959 and the Astro in 1960.

I’m sure some washers made it onto knife handles as spacers on theater knives before that.
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

In the 1970s the tire shop in New Leipzig, North Dakota had a knife on display that Rudy Ruana had made while he still lived in North Dakota, and he moved to Montana about 1937. That knife was made from a Model T Ford spring, with salmon colored micarta handle slabs and copper harness rivets. The grind was Rudy wavy, but it was a cool knife. I spent years trying to locate that knife, but never succeeded.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Case V42 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:53 am In the 1970s the tire shop in New Leipzig, North Dakota had a knife on display that Rudy Ruana had made while he still lived in North Dakota, and he moved to Montana about 1937. That knife was made from a Model T Ford spring, with salmon colored micarta handle slabs and copper harness rivets. The grind was Rudy wavy, but it was a cool knife. I spent years trying to locate that knife, but never succeeded.
Double WOW!!! I would love to see that!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Rimfirekyle wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:19 pm Does anyone have any cool vintage micarta laying around? I'm a buyer! Thanks in advance!
I got some a while back from Material Maker Supply. As you can see, I'm still saving it in my stash for a special project. You might want to check with them, but I think it sold out immediately like hot cakes. As I recall, the gist of the story was that it was discovered in storage (maybe an abandoned warehouse) where it had been for many years.
Attachments
DSCN9918.JPG
DSCN9921.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Etsy occasionally list some vintage Micarta.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Blue line Westinghouse is some of the rarest. It was used as electrical insulation back in the day, I know a lot of folks who find the good stuff in old warehouse electrical panels. Favorite handle material of Bob Loveless.
Rimfirekyle

Post by Rimfirekyle »

FRJ wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:49 pm At what year would you date "vintage" Micarta?
I thought it was all pretty new stuff but I am getting older.
26s Years I guess? I've bought "vintage micarta" from the 90s.....
Also I've learned that I am also vinatge
Rimfirekyle

Post by Rimfirekyle »

herbva wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:13 pm
Rimfirekyle wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:19 pm Does anyone have any cool vintage micarta laying around? I'm a buyer! Thanks in advance!
I got some a while back from Material Maker Supply. As you can see, I'm still saving it in my stash for a special project. You might want to check with them, but I think it sold out immediately like hot cakes. As I recall, the gist of the story was that it was discovered in storage (maybe an abandoned warehouse) where it had been for many years.
I have some of that material on hand as well! I regularly buy from MMS . They're awesome
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have some industrial micarta that was used in plywood mills. The blocks of Micarta hold the planer blades in place when they are peeling the veneer from the logs.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Rimfirekyle

Post by Rimfirekyle »

orvet wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:26 pm I have some industrial micarta that was used in plywood mills. The blocks of Micarta hold the planer blades in place when they are peeling the veneer from the logs.
That's cool! What's it look like?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I'll have to get a picture show you. It's basic fabric micarta, probably linen, it is has oil and grease stains on it in some places.
I rehandling kitchen knife with it for my sister. I think it's probably nearly bulletproof but it's not what I would call pretty.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
bfgodlesky

Post by bfgodlesky »

canvas? linen? what exactly are you looking for?
One of the original uses for micarta was bearings. I've tried it and it works well.

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”