WTB Barnett Tool Co. Blade

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
just bob

WTB Barnett Tool Co. Blade

Post by just bob »

I'd like to by a used blade for a Barnett Tool Co knife with pliers. Used is fine but would like one at least 75% full.
Attachments
bbbbb .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
cody6268

Re: WTB Barnett Tool Co. Blade

Post by cody6268 »

How come so many of these have broken or replaced blades? I would reckon at least 75% of the ones sold are that way. Mine has it snapped off about 1/4 from the tang.
just bob

Post by just bob »

cody6268 wrote:How come so many of these have broken or replaced blades? I would reckon at least 75% of the ones sold are that way. Mine has it snapped off about 1/4 from the tang.
Funny that there is an article in this month's Knife Magazine about these knives by Neal Punchard. I'm inclined to agree with you as I have seen several with broken blades and also called a guy in KY this morning that repairs knives looking for a replacement blade. He didn't have a blade, but said he had a knife that still had the factory etch on the blade and it was snapped. He had been looking for a blade for 3 years. Obviously there are many out there with broken blades. Mr. Punchard points out these knives were made from about 1900 to about 1920 and during that span the foundry had some changes of ownership. You would think heat treating is critical and perhaps the quality control standards might have declined under a certain ownership? The knife itself was used by craftsman, mechanics, farriers, etc. so it was subjected to a lot more prying and bending than a conventional pocketknife was and maybe that might help explain more broken blades as well? Mr. Punchard says this about the knife " The Barnett pliers - knife is a quality tool top to bottom with all the same features of the best pocketknives from that era." No doubt during the 20 year span thousands of these were sold and were in demand by the public. BTW one ad shows these were sold for $1.05 ppd. and another ad shows $18 per half dozen. Look at what they're bringing on Ebay today.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
GClaxon

Post by GClaxon »

Those are tough to come by. My friend and I have welded many replacement blades onto the tangs of these because blades are just too hard to come by
GClaxon

Post by GClaxon »

just bob wrote:
cody6268 wrote:How come so many of these have broken or replaced blades? I would reckon at least 75% of the ones sold are that way. Mine has it snapped off about 1/4 from the tang.
Funny that there is an article in this month's Knife Magazine about these knives by Neal Punchard. I'm inclined to agree with you as I have seen several with broken blades and also called a guy in KY this morning that repairs knives looking for a replacement blade. He didn't have a blade, but said he had a knife that still had the factory etch on the blade and it was snapped. He had been looking for a blade for 3 years. Obviously there are many out there with broken blades. Mr. Punchard points out these knives were made from about 1900 to about 1920 and during that span the foundry had some changes of ownership. You would think heat treating is critical and perhaps the quality control standards might have declined under a certain ownership? The knife itself was used by craftsman, mechanics, farriers, etc. so it was subjected to a lot more prying and bending than a conventional pocketknife was and maybe that might help explain more broken blades as well? Mr. Punchard says this about the knife " The Barnett pliers - knife is a quality tool top to bottom with all the same features of the best pocketknives from that era." No doubt during the 20 year span thousands of these were sold and were in demand by the public. BTW one ad shows these were sold for $1.05 ppd. and another ad shows $18 per half dozen. Look at what they're bringing on Ebay today.

Quality control did vary with these. Ive seen them nicely built and seen some that were just pitiful
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

GClaxon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:22 am Those are tough to come by. My friend and I have welded many replacement blades onto the tangs of these because blades are just too hard to come by
You did an excellent job on my knives, I'm as pleased as a pig in poo! ::ds:: ::groove:: ::ds:: Pliers/hoof knife pictured here with his two bros. and a before shot. Also pictured is the Camillus e-toe that needed a scale patch. You do great work!
Attachments
IMG_20191023_193307015.jpg
IMG_20191023_193750211.jpg
IMG_20191023_194103065.jpg
IMG_20190731_201134286.jpg
IMG_20190731_201229074.jpg
IMG_20190731_201159830.jpg
IMG_20191023_194257641.jpg
IMG_20191023_194306065.jpg
IMG_20191023_194324632.jpg
IMG_20191023_194333584.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
GClaxon

Post by GClaxon »

Thanks, glad ya like em

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”