703 ID / value

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Buck703

703 ID / value

Post by Buck703 »

I can find this particular, with fancy script on the handle, block on the blade.. many other variations but not this one. Grandpa gave it to me around 1992.
A852FB77-E684-49E1-BB1D-85632E143B49.jpeg
bertl

Re: 703 ID / value

Post by bertl »

I think that is the first version of the 703, produced from 1980 to 1984.

Bert
dsutton24

Post by dsutton24 »

They're nice knives. Grandpa must have liked you.

I'm no expert, so some of this may be a little wobbly: There are three basic generations of that knife. They were introduced in 1980 with two backsprings and polished bolsters, these ran to the end of 1984. Starting the beginning of 1985 the bolsters had a matte finish. The third generation of these knives started late in 1986. They had three backsprings, and these ran until 2001. Of course, if it was made after 1985 it would have a date code.

I don't know the dates of the script shield, other than to say they are fairly common on those knives. They don't signify anything special as far as I know, they may have been used exclusively on the 700 series knives, and may date your knife to no later than '86. The only 703 that I have that has the script BUCK shield also has a script tang stamp, and I think it dates from early in the run. The block letter BUCK shield was also used on the 300 series knives in the '87 and '88 date range, but I've never seen a script shield on a 300 series knife.

Unless it has a date code, Buck knives can be very hard to date with certainty. Even with a date code odd things turn up. It seems like cutlers never throw anything away.

Collectability and value of Buck knives is always a tough question to answer. You don't see a lot of 700 series knives, and I've never talked to anyone who were crazy about them. I'm sure they exist. The folding hunters, sheath knives, and to some degree the 300 series knives, everyone knows about them. But compared to, say, Case or Queen collectors, Buck collectors are somewhat scarce. I hate to give this advice, but in this case a search on an auction site of completed sales would probably give you an idea of value.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I have a 701 with a Script shield and a Block stamp.
IMG_5027.JPG
I can't add anything to what has already been said except considering that the 700 series knives were produced from very late 1979 through 2001 as mentioned above, one can only assume that there must have been tens of thousands of them made. Possibly even millions. To this day, it's still not too difficult to find a 700 series knife in mint or near mint condition. That should keep the value down to a reasonable level for buyers for at least a few more years.

I predict that it will be quite a long time before they gain any remarkable value but they are a great way for a young person to start a collection.

Long since discontinued.
Not hard to find in excellent condition.
Enough of them still floating around that they are still reasonably priced.
And very well made.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I looked for a decent 703 for years and then last year found an excellent one with just a sliver out of handle. Then found a later one NIB for $15. Not to hijack the thread I hope, but do the blades with the script tang markings have different steel than later models (420HC)?

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”