Buck 110 Auto Legit/Fake? Age? Thoughts/Opinions Please

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Buck 110 Auto Legit/Fake? Age? Thoughts/Opinions Please

Post by herbva »

I'm thinking of adding a Buck 110 Auto to my collection and have been looking at them for a while, but really have no knowledge of these knives, and don't want to get stuck with a fake or knockoff. I noticed this one that is coming up for auction by a small, private auction company and am interested. But, I haven't seen any others with the release button partially cut into the bolster like this one, and or course the file work, which I assume is custom work. Sorry for the poor pics.(I borrowed them from the auction company's listing.) Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :D
Attachments
DSCN0086.JPG
DSCN0088.JPG
DSCN0087.JPG
DSCN0093.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Gunsil

Re: Buck 110 Auto Legit/Fake? Age? Thoughts/Opinions Please

Post by Gunsil »

Hi Herb, I had one of those probably about 20 years ago. They were real Buck knives that were modded to be autos but the work was not done at the factory, but by some other enterprising individuals. Mine didn't have all the filework but had the same long side release button. They work pretty well although you have to get used to the release location.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks like a good knife, they generally go for $100 or more. These can be really good knives but like any auto or folding knife for that matter, they can be subject to wear that can cause function issues.

This knife recently snuck past the eBay auto cops and sold for about $270.
Attachments
110 auto.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Herb, I have the same knife right down to the filework pattern and the tang stamp. Found mine at a gun show ,seller had no info. Sometimes my trigger button sticks and it’s hard to push in. Oiling helps. Steve B.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

bladebuddy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:53 pm Herb, I have the same knife right down to the filework pattern and the tang stamp. Found mine at a gun show ,seller had no info. Sometimes my trigger button sticks and it’s hard to push in. Oiling helps. Steve B.
Thanks Steve. I found a Buck tang stamp dating chart that indicates the tang stamp on mine indicates it was made in 2013. If I do win the auction for this one, I would like to find out who did the custom mod work. Take care. Herb
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Those were genuine Buck knives, but as stated the auto conversion was done by others.

BUCK now does their own autos in house, 110 and 112's in different handle materials and steels.
I would suggest finding one ... there is currently a 112 listed in an AAPK store
LINK >>> https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... 112-ranger

I have toted a 112 nightly for over a year now, it has yet to fail me
::tu:: ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”