Buck 305 red clipper

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Outdooreg

Buck 305 red clipper

Post by Outdooreg »

Good morning all, been awhile since I’ve been on. I have a Buck 305 red clipper in route, I know they’re a rare one but I’d like to know just how rare they are, hopefully someone can help me out here. If you have any other interesting info on them please share that also. Thanks in advance
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Buck 305 red clipper

Post by 1967redrider »

Make sure you post some pictures when it arrives! ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:12 pm Make sure you post some pictures when it arrives! ::nod::
::tu:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Outdooreg

Post by Outdooreg »

Will do! If I can figure out how.🤷🏼‍♂️
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

The Buck '305 Clipper' was introduced in 1989, but didn't appear in the catalogue until 1990. The 305 Clipper series was discontinued in 1991. There were only 11,000 Red 305 Clippers made and initially sold for $28.98.

"It is thought that some Clippers were made with scissors with tiny serrations, which were purchased from Wenger.
These scissors were vastly superior to the original ones which had smooth cutting edges. Clippers with Wenger scissors are hard to
find. These scissors will be stamped Wenger."

My input: It is the Wenger scissors that will make the 305 rare

"The Clipper was assembled in house, by Buck, and was not a contract knife. The 1989 issued knives were all smooth scaled, with the exception of the jigged brown bone, and made with standard 300 series brass liners and nickel-silver bolsters. A center brass liner and the addition of a third spring were necessary to operate the foldable scissors. The two scissor springs were needed to allow tension for folding the scissor into the blade well and to provide pressure to operate the return of the moveable leg of the scissors mechanism when cutting. Pressure is applied to the scissor return leg at its base which in turn puts return pressure on the cutting leg when the entire scissor is fully extended and cams against the third spring."

There is a 'red smooth' handled and a 'red saw cut' handled 305 clipper. The saw cut handle 'may' have the Wenger scissors. ::shrug:: There were six different colors of the Clipper 305.

Bold: Credit to Buck historian.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I have no earthly idea what you are talking about, but I like all Buck knives, so I look forward to seeing what you are getting.😀
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

This is what the 305 Clippers looked like way back when.

Red saw cut in lower photo has the 'Wenger' scissors, which is very rare and hard to find. Wenger is 'stamped' on the working arm of the scissors The Wenger scissors worked much better than the other style.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 19.24.59.jpeg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”