Tang stamps: Confused

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
fredswartz

Tang stamps: Confused

Post by fredswartz »

I am fairly new to this forum and have used and collected Buck Knives since the 6o’s. A burning question. Is there any accurately published account of tang stampings on post 1980 Buck knives especially 500 series knives? I am trying to make a straight line diagram but nothing adds up.

Here is what I have read and learned:

No idea when Buck script on tangs began.

1981 composite materials used for grips/handles.

Late 1984-1985 Buck changed from Old English
Script to block lettering on blade tangs.

In late 1985-1986 Buck went with block lettering and one dot to the right of the model number indicating a running change to these models probably due to changes in steel content.

In 1988 date symbols stamped on blade tangs began.

Just curious.

Thanks, Jerry
kossetx

Re: Tang stamps: Confused

Post by kossetx »

Howdy jerry, With buck, answers are alway iffy. tmk, They were using composites in the 40's. The first 112 was micarta in '72. Old English was used until late '85 when fineblank block blades hit. I've read where the dot was continued for only a month or two in '86. Date stamps started in 86, but not necessarily in January. Again, I don't know if anyone knows for sure.

Pete
Where Bob Wills is still the King...

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”