I Passed on This One... See why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Bill-in-Texas

I Passed on This One... See why?

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

As a fan of Buck lockbacks, in particular the 110s and 112s, I was really disappointed to see this...

I’ve seen Bert’s 4 pin, 2 dot 110 picture and knew I just had to find one, some day!

Well, I found one; the first one I’ve actually examined first-hand. Sadly, I had to pass on it. The blade looks like it was abused on a grinding wheel and one of the pin heads has broken off.

Any of you folks want to share opinions & ideas?
Attachments
23785099-0AEA-44D5-8D16-0CA60B3FEEA0.jpeg
57B0CAD3-6D39-4BE0-AF60-BF12E0ACB469.jpeg
rea1eye

Re: I Passed on This One... See why?

Post by rea1eye »

Looks pretty beat up; it would take a lot of TLC to get her looking good.
I know I could not do it.

Bob
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'd pass too, especially at $45. I wouldn't mind buying it at $15-20 as a project (as I like the Buck 440C) and that's it. That reminds me, I have a '74-80 112 with a heavily worn and dinged blade that needs to be sent off to Buck to have a new blade put in.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

If it locks up right I’d offer $20; if accepted, clean it up and put a new edge on it. Great car, truck, or tacklebox knife - 440C once sharp, is as good as it gets for a working knife. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Old Hunter wrote:If it locks up right I’d offer $20; if accepted, clean it up and put a new edge on it. Great car, truck, or tacklebox knife - 440C once sharp, is as good as it gets for a working knife. OH
He wouldn’t come down more than 10%. I tried to tell him condition-wise it just was priced way high. No sale. But, before I opened the blade I got a little excited to see the 4th pin (!).

Oh, well. The hunt continues.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice thing is Buck Knives built tens of thousands of them - once in a while you get a deal. For me I look a lot and find one every now and then; that’s the fun of it. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
bertl

Post by bertl »

Old Hunter wrote:Nice thing is Buck Knives built tens of thousands of them - once in a while you get a deal. For me I look a lot and find one every now and then; that’s the fun of it. OH

Estimates vary for this version. I have seen the number of "about 400" and also "less than 700". Whatever it is, I think it's safe to say fewer than 1000.

Bert
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Sorry Bert, I didn’t intend to misinform - I was remarking on the Buck 110 in general and buying a worn one cheap to use as a toolbox or tackle box knife. Wouldn’t want to give bad info - thanks for the clarification. OH

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”