Buck 110 Steel

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
boykinlp

Buck 110 Steel

Post by boykinlp »

Thinking about getting a Buck 110. I don't know much about the different steels being used by them. My choices are BOS S30V, BOS 5160 Carbon Steel, and BOS 420HC. I want this to be a special knife. What steel should I choose and why? Thanks.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Buck 110 Steel

Post by philco »

Larry tell us a little about what you plan to do with this knife. That will help determine what steel might be more appropriate.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The standard Buck steel will do any job a Buck 110 is designed to do (it's a Folding Hunter). That said, the more expensive steels are better at holding an edge (flip side is they are more difficult to put the edge back on). Kind of like hunting cartridges, once it's of adequate power, how much deader than dead will a magnum make a deer? How much sharper than sharp will a more expensive steel cut? I've got about six or seven different Buck 110 blade steels, all cut with equal efficiency. If you want a celebration knife to mark a significant event then go to the Buck Custom Shop and order one with S30V - Buck Knife Company states that is the best blade steel made in their opinion. Post a picture of whatever you buy - we love seeing Buck Knives here! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

420hc just isn't that special so if this knife is to be special, get something better. IMHO
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

philco wrote:Larry tell us a little about what you plan to do with this knife. That will help determine what steel might be more appropriate.
Phil,
I am actually going to get it rehandled with mammoth ivory. So, it more than likely will be a safe queen and not a user. I want it to be something where true knife guys would say "it is the perfect knife.....not only does it look great, but it also xxxxxx steel". Maybe I am over thinking it. I just figured if I was going to spend the money to have it done right, don't just settle for any steel.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

boykinlp wrote:
philco wrote:Larry tell us a little about what you plan to do with this knife. That will help determine what steel might be more appropriate.
Phil,
I am actually going to get it rehandled with mammoth ivory. So, it more than likely will be a safe queen and not a user. I want it to be something where true knife guys would say "it is the perfect knife.....not only does it look great, but it also xxxxxx steel". Maybe I am over thinking it. I just figured if I was going to spend the money to have it done right, don't just settle for any steel.
Larry

In that case, I'd go for the gusto and get one with S30V.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Larry, if your going to re scale you can just grab any old S30V, even the pro. Polishing the satin finish out takes no time and will need to be done no matter the knife. I personally would go with NS frame. The pro has been on sale for 80.00. S30V doesn't come in a MP finish though.

Have you talked to Heath Stone? May be a good way to go. This is a remer stone. There are copper elk inlays in the bolsters.
Attachments
image.jpg
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

philco wrote:In that case, I'd go for the gusto and get one with S30V.
kossetx wrote:Larry, if your going to re scale you can just grab any old S30V, even the pro. Polishing the satin finish out takes no time and will need to be done no matter the knife. I personally would go with NS frame.
I was hoping to get the advice you folks gave me. Here is what I am going to start with. A Buck 110 with NS bolsters, S30V steel, and a drop point blade.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Larry

Each one, teach one.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kossetx wrote:Larry, if your going to re scale you can just grab any old S30V, even the pro. Polishing the satin finish out takes no time and will need to be done no matter the knife. I personally would go with NS frame. The pro has been on sale for 80.00. S30V doesn't come in a MP finish though.

Have you talked to Heath Stone? May be a good way to go. This is a remer stone. There are copper elk inlays in the bolsters.
That one is special.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I think I like where this is headed. I really like the drop point blade.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
useem

Post by useem »

Can't go wrong with an S30v drop point 110.
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

When we going to see that knife?
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

kossetx wrote:When we going to see that knife?
I was originally told it would be a 4-5 month turnaround.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Well, I have not gotten it in my hands yet, but here are craftsman's pictures of the final result. Thanks Kaleb for the awesome job! It has stabilized mammoth tusk ivory end grain scales, vine filework, and terrific fluted bolsters. This knife and another that Kaleb did for me at the same time, are definitely the jewels of my collection.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Wow Boykin, beautiful custom job by Kaleb - surely a centerpiece of your Buck collection. Very nice! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Now, I have had this fantastic knife for a few days. The pictures don't do it justice. Kaleb's attention to detail is superb. Everything fits perfectly. I found a pretty good was to display it, I think. Next step is to find some more knives for the Muskrat Man to work on for me. :D
image.jpeg
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Beautiful knives!!! The mammoth has amazing colors.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Tcdaddy

Post by Tcdaddy »

Absolutely gorgeous!

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”