Dating Early Folders

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
kootenay joe

Dating Early Folders

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a few Buck knives i would like to accurately date. I will post 2 now and 4 more later.
Two identical folders, Premium Stock Knife, 3 15/16", master tang marked: "Buck/Made In/U.S.A." and back tang of other 2 blades is marked "BUCK".
Slanted bolsters.
Are these Schrade made Buck 301 ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP4227.JPG
IMGP4228.JPG
IMGP4229.JPG
IMGP4230.JPG
IMGP4231.JPG
Old Hunter

Re: Dating Early Folders

Post by Old Hunter »

Yes, both are Schrade manufactured Buck 301. They are 2nd variation (no grooves in bolsters and BUCK name on secondary Blades. Nice knives. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks OH. I was unsure if Schrade made as LG4 says master blade is marked: "BUCK/USA" whereas these have: "BUCK/Made In/USA".
Here are 2 more Buck folders, 4 1/8" closed. One is marked on master tang: "BUCK/307/U.S.A." and the other is marked: "BUCK/Made In/U.S.A." on master front tang and "307" on master back tang.
I would like to know date range for both of these and Camillus made or Buck made ?
thanks, kj
Attachments
IMGP4236.JPG
IMGP4232.JPG
IMGP4233.JPG
IMGP4234.JPG
IMGP4235.JPG
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The Buck 307 was made by Camillus. The one with the model number on the reverse is an early model, the other is later. I’m on the road and away from computer and notes, I’ll check date ranges for you when I get home tonight. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K., and perhaps you could check dates for 2 more ?
These 2 are just under 4" (same as 301) and both are marked on front master tang only: "BUCK/319/U.S.A."
One has a spiral punch which suggests Camillus. The other with the 'plain' punch might have been made by Buck ?
Thanks for your help OH,
kj
Attachments
IMGP4237.JPG
IMGP4238.JPG
IMGP4239.JPG
bertl

Post by bertl »

Since OH is on the road, I'll slip in with some info about the knives. The 301 is actually the 3rd version by Schrade (1967-1971). The 2nd version was more or less the same as the 1st version but had no bolster grooves. The 307 Made in USA is the 1st version (1971-1974) and the 307 Buck/USA is the 2nd version (1974-1998). All 307s were made by Camillus. The 319 with the spiral awl is the 1st version (1975-1990) and the smooth awl is the 2nd version (1990-1992). The awls are carbon steel and all 319s were made by Camillus.

Bert
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Bert, glad you chimed in (I defer to your 300 series info). One question, I have one source - a 2005 article by Vern Taylor, Joe Houser, and Larry Oden in Blades Guide to Knives & their Values that lists the Schrade built 301 models as: 1st variation, grooved bolsters, 2nd variation, "BUCK" stamped on backside of secondary blades and 3rd variation, no "BUCK" stamped on secondary blades - all three have long swedges on the Clip main blade. My question to you, has subsequent research reversed the 2nd and 3rd variation order? I have two of the three Schrades. OH
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Bert ! All my questions answered.
These are either never used or some very lightly used, but am i correct that value is low because there are plenty of similar examples 'out there' ?
kj

Edit to ask: did the Schrade made Buck 301 come with a box ? or sold bulk wrapped or on a card ?
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

KJ, the values vary (as with all knives) - ebay sold auctions will give you the best current info you can find. The last two NIB Buck 300 series I bought (both Camillus from the mid 1970's, about a year ago) were $50 each (Muskrat and Stockman). I would like to have a shot at your smooth/plain awl Buck 319 - I don't have that one. Let me know what you want for it. OH
bertl

Post by bertl »

OH, I generally use the data provided by Charles Toft and 300Bucks. Toft did the first detailed summary of the 300 Series, and I have a lot of faith in his data. That said, there can be differences of opinion when it comes to dating the older knives and I try not to quibble over those differences, especially when the dates are close to each other.

Bert
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks Bert. At any rate I have a used, but very good condition, grooved bolster Schrade (I just obtained it) and a NOS Schrade with BUCK on the reverse side of the secondary blades. I need to find one of the non-grooved, non-stamped secondary variations to have all three Schrades. OH
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Seems like of the 3 variations made by Schrade, the ones i have are the most commonly seen, plain bolsters and all blades marked "BUCK" ?
OH, i will sell you the Buck with the 'smooth' punch. I do not know what a fair price is, but likely you do, so PM me with an offer.
I have far too many knives and i need to pare it down as my children are not interested and my expiry date, while unknown, is definitely coming.
I am willing to sell most of the knives i post.
kj
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

KJ, sent you a PM. OH
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Go back and search this forum for ' Model 300 Descriptions" or even all posts by 300Bucks. About a year ago I posted a complete listing of details to date 300 series knives from 1966 to 1990 and beyond for some models.

Only the 301, 303, 309 and 305 WITH date codes after the Model number were made by Buck. A couple of early models were made by Schrade , BUT all others were made by Camillus. The 307 was a Camillus only. The two Ranchers with leather awls were only made by Camillus. Camillus made a few models with yellow sawcut Delrin also.

Attention: Buck has announced that they were dropping the 309 and 305 from production this year.

300Bucks
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

300 Bucks, thank you for this summation and mention of your previous post detailing how to date the 300 series. I will search this out.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here are some notes that I made several years ago:

Buck Slipjoint Data:

Schrade Contract knives 1966-1968:
301 Stockman (Large)
303 Cadet (Medium Stockman)

Camillus Contract Knives 300 Series (1968-Varies by model) :
301 Stockman (Large)
303 Cadet (Medium Stockman)(just over 3 inches closed)
305 Lancer (small 2 blade)
307 Wrangler (Extra large Stockman)
309 Companion (med. 2 Blade clip and pen)(3 inch closed)
311 Slim Line Trapper (4 1/8 closed)
313 Muskrat (Production started in 1972 and ended in 1998. "The 313 Muskrat was manufactored by Camillus for Buck and was added to the line in 1972 along with the 311,315 and 317.")
315 Yachtsman (Sailor)
317 Trailblazer (2 blade Hunter)(Camillus started them in 1972)(they quit in 86 and somebody else made them for 3 more years?)( The 317 Trailblazer was introduced in 1972. It was a Camillus contract knife made for Buck. The first version had a mark side tang stamp of Buck-Made in-U.S.A. on three lines on the main blade. The model number, 317, was stamped on the pile side. The first version also had the main blade nail nick positioned close to the blade tip. From 1973 on, 317's had a main blade tang stamp reading Buck-317-U.S.A. on three lines with no other blade markings and the nail nick was moved closer to the center of the blade. The 317 was discontinued in 1989.)
319 Rancher (Cattleman W/Punch)
321 Bird Knife
322 Congress (black ones. You also see them in yellow handles. The knife, model 322, was made by Camillus for Smoky Mountain Knife. It was the first of the ‘ersatz’ Bucks done for SMKW, made in 1989, and is probably the hardest of them to find.)
329 Freedom Trapper
331 Granddaddy Barlow
332 Barlow
333 California Toothpick
334 Millennium Trapper

Buck In House Production 300 Series (1986-Present):
301 Stockman (Large)
303 Cadet (Medium Stockman)
305 Lancer (small 2 blade)
309 Companion (med. 2 Blade)

Buck In House Discontinued Models:
305 Clipper (small blade and scissors)
310 Whittler
312 Small Trapper
314 Trapper (3 ¼ closed)
330 Trapper set in ironwood (312 & 314)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great info Cal, thanks for posting it. ::tu::
It came up nicely on a search when I needed it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”