How do you carry the 301?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: How do you carry the 301?

Post by Colonel26 »

LFP = 4"-4 1/2" pocket knife and a can of Copenhagen.
RFP = SAK Spartan and keys with a Spyderco Military clipped to the pocket.
IWB = Commander size 1911 45 acp

I've never worried about printing, just wear looser britches it it bothers you. Me, I live for that moment some one says, "hey, you don't happen to have a ....... do you?" "Why yes I do!", says I!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

RFP.. Today!!! ::tu:: 8) John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

In my right hand pocket!
Keep Near the Cross.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Usually, I just dump it in my pocket (aside from the fact my 301 is a shelf queen due to it advertising a local quarry, but I do regularly carry a 303) but most large and jumbo Stockmen just go in the front left pocket. If it weren't for the cost (3 times what my Mexican-made belts from a local farm supply store have cost then add in $15 shipping), I'd buy one of these belts. The pouch measurement of 8 centimeters by 2 centimeters would roughly equate to 4"x1" which is around the same size as a 4" Stockman. With it, I'd have no worry about having a sheath slide off when my pants are hanging up on the over-the door hook in my room.

https://www.australiangear.com/akubra-l ... pouch.html
Oldwolf

Post by Oldwolf »

That's a very neat belt and a great solution to carrying the 301.

I have discovered that the 301 fits, a bit tightly though, in the watch pocket of my Lee jeans.
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

I have written of this in one of the 'other' forums. I principally took a leather slip, like the one shown above, and punched a hole in it and used my old Boy Scout skills and braided a lanyard into a loop that fit over your belt and the slip hung in your pocket at just the right height to stay against the hem side of your pocket, not on your bragging side. For many a year I carried a Buck slippy, usually a 303, in my uniform jeans watch pocket. I never needed a bigger knife to fight off grizzly bears or hack down trees. But all things change and we went up-scale and wore lighter weight cargo type pants with deep pockets and no watch pocket. Used the same method, until I was drawn in by the dark side and started carrying a Vantage with a clip. I retired and found my favorite pants to be the khaki "fisherman" pants with plenty of pockets. I took needle and thread in hand and as the pockets were loose and not sewn to pant legs, I made a pocket against the hem side of the pocket just long enough to hold the knife under the hem.
the only problem I saw was that it would fall out if I stood on my head and I cured that by never standing on my head again. 300Bucks ::huff::
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

300Bucks wrote:The only problem I saw was that it would fall out if I stood on my head and I cured that by never standing on my head again. 300Bucks ::huff::
Nice post all the way around, but the closer was the best.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jmh58 wrote:RFP.. Today!!! ::tu:: 8) John :D

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jmh58 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

jmh58 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:27 pm
Your six-month check in? :wink:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Steve Warden wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:30 pm
jmh58 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:27 pm
Your six-month check in? :wink:
:lol: :lol: ::nod:: :lol: :lol:
John :D

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Stop worrying about it "printing". It'll make you popular with the ladies. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This isn't about a Buck 301, but it's related. I went to my favorite watering hole and had my Camillus 26 in my left front pocket. The bartender, a very cute, young girl was staring at me and said, " is that a Camillus 26 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" I'm sorry, I made that up. I couldn't resist. :D ::facepalm::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Yinz crack me up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John :D

AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

A Buck 301 is part of my EDC rotation along with larger and smaller knives such a Case large Trapper, large & medium Stockman and I always carry a Vic Pioneer (suspended in my LFP) . As for my daily carry whether 301 or a 6375 it's carried in my right front pocket. Does it "print"? Yes and so what it's a pocket knife, not a gun.
Perception is Reality
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The brand of blue jeans I have been wearing lately have a narrow but deep watch pocket (which would be totally useless for a pocket watch), but fits my rebuilt 301 snakewood very well.
IMG_3320.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

I carry my '93 #301 in a sheath on my belt several times a week, I also often have a #303 in a #500-sized sheath on the other hip, (it's a '93 too because 1993 is the birth year of my daughter). I carry coins among other things in my pockets and don't want to wear down my Delrin knife handles rubbing against metal objects that I often have in there. My mainly used EDC though is a Buck #112 Slim Pro which I clip into a back pocket, (the only "pocket knife" I actually stick in a pocket other than a '93 #305 that goes in my watch pocket), it has Linen Micarta handles so it is far less prone to scratches. I prefer to keep my older "collectible" traditional knives safe in sheaths, (though I do use them often, no shelf queens in my house, (well maybe a couple)).
BCCI Member #2863
Ole Joe Clark

Post by Ole Joe Clark »

I very seldom carry mine now, when I bought it new I carried it every day for years. I just drop it in the pocket with my keys.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Attachments
20180929_121257.jpg
20180929_121508.jpg
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I know, older post.
(not a Duluth employee or any relationship)
One thing I like about Duluth pants is the large watch pocket. Cargo pants have an inside picket in the front right pocket that fits a large pocket knife well. The engineer pants have a side/back pocket for a cell phone, but not bad to clip on a larger knife.
Just FYI, an EDC friendly product line for packrats like me.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

EeDeCe wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:31 pm I know, older post.
(not a Duluth employee or any relationship)
One thing I like about Duluth pants is the large watch pocket. Cargo pants have an inside picket in the front right pocket that fits a large pocket knife well. The engineer pants have a side/back pocket for a cell phone, but not bad to clip on a larger knife.
Just FYI, an EDC friendly product line for packrats like me.
I carry either a #305 or #309 in my watch pocket, but still carry my #301 in an old #112 sheath on my belt, fits fine in the sheath and doesn't take up space in my pocket or get scratched up by keys or coins. Works well for me.
BCCI Member #2863
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: Left front pocket, always! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Dinadan wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:39 pm I do not carry a 301, but I do carry a 4" Schrade or a GEC. I carry the knife in my left front pocket and in order to keep anyone from freaking out over my knife I carry a .22 magnum revolver in my right front pocket. I have been doing that for several years and so far no one has ever once mentioned the knife!
Not to hi-jack the thread, but what's it like tripping the trigger on that little knuckle duster?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I carry my Buck 301 in my front pocket. I have retired it lately for these two new stockman's. Boker and a Bear & Son stockman. All 4'' same size as the buck. I have two more buck 301 knives but I recently sent them back to buck for repair. As you can see from the picture it is well used. that is why I give her a rest once in a while. Still sharp and good snap in blades. ::tu::
DSCF2162.JPG
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I just sent in my brand new 301 as well as a 112 to Buck to see if they can get it right. I assume the grind on the hinge end of the blades, especially the clip blade, isn't right. I got 2 just the same. Really hope it comes back right, I love the feel of that thing.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”