Hate foldover sheaths?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
eveled

Hate foldover sheaths?

Post by eveled »

I took one of mine apart, sliced it were the fold was and restitched it. Then added rivets. No more rattles. I think I like the results.
IMG_20180220_215223706.jpg
This picture shows how I had to detach the keeper from the body of the sheath. To allow room for the thickness of the guard.

I flipped the keeper up to a higher position. Or it can still be used in it's normal low position.

Now the sheath part can also swivel if the keeper is not snapped. Which makes it easier to put the knife back.
IMG_20180221_041451178.jpg
IMG_20180221_042125133.jpg
XX Case XX

Re: Hate foldover sheaths?

Post by XX Case XX »

That's pretty slick. Nice job. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

That is a very nice looking modification. On the other hand I really like a fold-over sheath for a woodsman's knife. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I'm a fold over fan BUT I do like your mods ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks guys. Funny to see this thread pop up over a year later. At the time I didn’t get any response. ::shrug:: I figured everyone thought it was dumb and didn’t want to hurt my feelings. ::facepalm:: Lol.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

eveled wrote:Thanks guys. Funny to see this thread pop up over a year later. At the time I didn’t get any response. ::shrug:: I figured everyone thought it was dumb and didn’t want to hurt my feelings. ::facepalm:: Lol.
Actually, I never saw it when you first posted. I guess it just didn't grab my attention then, but now, after all this time, it did because I finally found a Pre-86 102 Woodsman that was in excellent condition at a fair price. My interest in Bucks has been re-invigorated.

I personally like the original fold over sheaths that came with the early Buck 100 Series knives, however, I also like what you did. I noticed that no one responded which I found odd, so I posted because I thought what you did was "out-of-the-box" thinking and you did a very nice job. ::tu::

I recently received a PM about a knife I listed for sale 8 months ago that never got a hit and I finally sold it. It's weird how sometimes things work out that way. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
eveled

Post by eveled »

What I called a foldover sheath is often called a taco. Folded over like a taco then sewn up one side. They work well but they tend to rattle. This was my workaround.

What you call a fold over sheath is the old style flap sheaths. They remind me of the old Calvary holsters for the cap and ball revolvers in the civil war. I agree The old flap sheaths are nice. I like them because they open like a 110 sheath. Which I am very used to. Muscle memory is hard to break.

Good find on that old 102. It’s a great little knife.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”