What is happening with the old standby #110 Folding Hunter??

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
300Bucks

Re: What is happening with the old standby #110 Folding Hunter??

Post by 300Bucks »

I don't know about the rest of you but I am feeling like a dinosaur. Auto 110s, plastic 110s, Moose skinners. My gut feeling is that Buck has younger folks marketing knives for a younger crowd. Very few Bucks do I like. I would say find you a deal and pick up a 110 or two for the future if they are important for you to have. Don't want to sideline the thread from 110s but someone mentioned the 300 series pocket knifes. The small 309 and 305 are being discontinued, the 303 and 301 are still being made but I hear rumors. Tech knives with flipping blades, carbon fiber scales and super steels are the sellers not nail nic pocket knives. 300Bucks
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:I don't know about the rest of you but I am feeling like a dinosaur. Auto 110s, plastic 110s, Moose skinners. My gut feeling is that Buck has younger folks marketing knives for a younger crowd. Very few Bucks do I like. I would say find you a deal and pick up a 110 or two for the future if they are important for you to have. Don't want to sideline the thread from 110s but someone mentioned the 300 series pocket knifes. The small 309 and 305 are being discontinued, the 303 and 301 are still being made but I hear rumors. Tech knives with flipping blades, carbon fiber scales and super steels are the sellers not nail nic pocket knives. 300Bucks
Hello stranger, as usual you put the point into words better than I do. I was the one mentioning the 300 Series, with the fate of the 309 & 305 in mind. In fact I cannot find even one US-made 300 for sale on their website, they must have relegated them to wholesale only, (the US-made versions that is), which doesn't bode well for the future of the series. I feel the same way about the 110, not my favorite, but due our recognition as THE knife that made the company. Kinda feeling dinosaurish myself. Maybe we can talk some sense to those whippersnappers at the BCCI reunion in July; btw, you going?
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Trying to decide about going to Blade Show and/or Idaho or not. I think they will keep making some 301s and 303s with 2018 date codes but someone talked to a Buck person and they are on the chopping block also after that. I think they should drop the Chairman but keep the sawcut. I think part of it is the contract knives are selling well at WM and other big sources and the 'planners' want the space on the factory floor for new upscale knives.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Stopped by a Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday. Original Buck 110 clam packs with nylon sheath were $29.95. They had 10 in stock.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I think it is a foregone conclusion that from an economic perspective, any knife that retails under $100 probably shouldn't be made in the USA. Schrade figured this out and Buck has too - they are just stretching it out as long as they can.

IMHO, the real concern is not Buck moving their low-end knives to China - it is retailers completely replacing Buck & Schrade with ultra low cost Chinese & Pakistani knives from the Frost and Blue Ridge brands. If all we can buy are those cr@ptastic knives, we are all screwed. We could long for the day when we could have bought a quality Chinese-made Buck or Schrade...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I think it is a foregone conclusion that from an economic perspective, any knife that retails under $100 probably shouldn't be made in the USA. Schrade figured this out and Buck has too - they are just stretching it out as long as they can.

IMHO, the real concern is not Buck moving their low-end knives to China - it is retailers completely replacing Buck & Schrade with ultra low cost Chinese & Pakistani knives from the Frost and Blue Ridge brands. If all we can buy are those cr@ptastic knives, we are all screwed. We could long for the day when we could have bought a quality Chinese-made Buck or Schrade...
Well perhaps we are all screwed, and yes the retailers will replace them all if it makes them money, they don't care what they sell, they just care IF it sells. What I fear is happening is that sometime soon the only companies selling US-made traditional frame pocket knives will be Case & GEC, (assuming they survive this ongoing die off), and those will be at premium prices way beyond the relatively high prices of today. Now with Buck de-emphasizing the regular version 110, and them seemingly ready to discontinue their traditional frames completely my fears seem to be confirmed.
BCCI Member #2863

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”